Should I just change my major and give up?

So to start I am a second year in undergrad and I am having horrible anxiety over if I will get into grad school. So my first year of school I was pre med and didn’t adjust to first year well at all. After my first year, my gpa was a 2.75. I switched to CSD and I have been LOVING IT!! Well I’m worried that after my first year, I’m not going to get into SLP grad schools... I’m doing much better this semester and I think I’m getting a 3.4-3.5 which will bring my overall up to a 3.0. I’m hoping by the time I graduate I’ll have a 3.4... I just am scared and stressed.

and another question, I heard a lot of SLP grad schools look at the last 60 credit hours I took, does anyone have a list of those schools?

In my opinion, you're still really early into your undergrad career - I definitely wouldn't give up yet if I were you, just keep working. If you can get your GPA in the 3.4 range by the time you graduate that's pretty manageable, and since you're planning ahead now you'll be able to start gathering other experiences that could help make you a strong candidate. If there are opportunities in your undergrad program you should try to get involved in research, and you could start accumulating a bunch of SLP shadowing/observation hours, or try to find a volunteer/work experience as a tutor, teaching assistant, or something related to the field that could give you a leg up. Don't give up quite yet! 

Do not give up! I was a pharmacy major my first semester. Ended my first semester with a 2.5 worked really hard in my classes once I found the right major (CMD) and I will be graduating in May with close to a 3.5 and I am applying to graduate school this year (Crossed fingers I get in) also there are some schools that look at your last 60 credits if speech is what you want to do gain experience in the field and keep going!! ?

I echo the others who say Do Not Give Up!!!! If you really love SLP, you are lucky to have found it so early in your undergraduate years! Stick with it. You still have plenty of courses left to bring up your GPA. There will be an opportunity to explain your first year in your essays if you need to. If you really want it, you can totally make it happen!

You've got this! Do everything you can to get solid A's in your COMD classes going forward, even if that means reducing your course load. Most schools are much more concerned with your COMD GPA. I know one school that looks at the last 60 units is CBU. 

3 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

You've got this! Do everything you can to get solid A's in your COMD classes going forward, even if that means reducing your course load. Most schools are much more concerned with your COMD GPA. I know one school that looks at the last 60 units is CBU. 

Is COMD my CSD courses!? If so I’m getting an A in my first one ?

Hi!!!!!

Similar story. Was pre-med and had a horrible first semester. Ended with a 2.0. Thought critically of my time management skills, stopped working over-time at an internship and my grades really improved. A year or two later I changed away from pre-med. My overall GPA ended up being a 3.6 and my last two years were a 4.0.

I'm applying to Ph.D. programs now (not SLP, sorry...) and some of them have asked me to calculate my GPA for the last 1 or 2 years.

Echoing everyone else - don't give up!!! Be very honest with yourself about the reasons behind your grades and what you can do to improve. Overall, I think an upward trend is way better than a downward trend. 

Best of luck!! You can do it and you have all of our support!