3 Year Masters Programs in Speech Pathology?

mmcat

Hi, I'm new to Grad Cafe. In short, I studied Music therapy in undergrad, but looking to make a bit of a change and go into Speech pathology. I'm looking for grad programs that include the year of prerequisites in their grad program for people like me who have an unrelated Bachelor's degree (making their Master's a 3-year program).

I'm not talking about the post-bacc programs, because I don't have the out of pocket money for that year of classes. 

Thanks!!

I don’t think anyone does it that way really. You need the year of leveling courses and those need to be halfway completed at least before applying for graduate school, with you finishing those with at least a B in the courses in progress before you begin your Master’s program. I haven’t heard of any program that offers it that way. Look at ASHA’s EdFind website and go from their listings of programs. There might be one but I don’t think anyone really does that. It’s super competitive to get into grad school for speech pathology. 

There actually are some programs like that: NYU online is one. I can't remember which others are like that off the top of my head but I've read a bunch of posts from people talking about these programs. Try doing a search in this forum for "leveling programs" to find more.

FYI though, if the post-bacc is what's classified as a "certificate" program you can receive federal financial aid. It's in the form of loans, but at least you don't have to pay out of pocket. I got financial aid for Pacific University's online post-bacc program.

16 hours ago, MH13 said:

I don’t think anyone does it that way really. You need the year of leveling courses and those need to be halfway completed at least before applying for graduate school, with you finishing those with at least a B in the courses in progress before you begin your Master’s program. I haven’t heard of any program that offers it that way. Look at ASHA’s EdFind website and go from their listings of programs. There might be one but I don’t think anyone really does that. It’s super competitive to get into grad school for speech pathology. 

There are actually many 3-year programs. Edfind has a whole frequently requested list search that includes about 60 different programs.

Here is a link to it: https://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?up=true

OP if you have any questions about 3-year programs please let me know! I only applied to 3 year programs. 

Edited by Southwestspeechie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 2:35 PM, Southwestspeechie said:

There are actually many 3-year programs. Edfind has a whole frequently requested list search that includes about 60 different programs.

Here is a link to it: https://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?up=true

OP if you have any questions about 3-year programs please let me know! I only applied to 3 year programs. 

Hi, how were you able to find the 3 year programs on asha? 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:15 PM, mmcat said:

Thank you everyone for responding! I truly appreciate the help and insight! ?

• 4 weeks later...

Speech@NYU, Speech@Baylor, George Washington University are all schools I’ve applied that include pre-requisites for students who don’t have a degree in CSD. The first two are online, GWU is in person so if you’re okay with moving it’s a pretty nice school

• 2 weeks later...