MIT EECS 2019

MAshKam

On 12/27/2018 at 4:42 AM, timkartar said:

Me too. Area of interest BIoinformatics, Data Science, Machine Learning. Is it necessary to contact POI? And when can we expect to hear from them?

It's a myth whether we should contact POIs. Honestly I have heard of cases where none of the POIs even replied and the guy got into the programs. There are also cases where the POI's reply sounds promising but the guy didnt get in

2 hours ago, zjh said:

It's a myth whether we should contact POIs. Honestly I have heard of cases where none of the POIs even replied and the guy got into the programs. There are also cases where the POI's reply sounds promising but the guy didnt get in

Thanks for the reply. Best of Luck ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 8:20 AM, phdhopeful1995 said:

anyone has any updates?

I have not received any emails yet. For people who got emails from POI could you share what mentioned in the emails?  

Is it possible to get admitted without any emails from POI beforehand? Getting more pessimistic day to day..

On 1/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, shrek12 said:

I have not received any emails yet. For people who got emails from POI could you share what mentioned in the emails?  

Is it possible to get admitted without any emails from POI beforehand? Getting more pessimistic day to day..

Hi, 

I sent emails to a lot of POIs for other unis but they rarely reply and if they do it’s very vague like ‘Good Luck with your application’ XD

In an email to a POI that actually replied, he told me that he was happy I contacted him and would love to discuss his group and MIT etc. And then whether I was free for an informal Skype chat. 

i sent an email to my POI at MIT December right before the Christmas holidays in much the same way as all the other POIs , except this time I added a link to my website and kept the email short and to the point , and he replied enthusiastically. I think one of the reasons may have been that before contacting him I browsed his research groups website and saw that he actively encouraged interested PhD students to get in touch, so he was actually looking for them. A lot of professors may not be looking for PhD students at all for the upcoming year. In hindsight I would ask the POI if they were looking for phd students first before actively engaging them. 

A LOT of people said they got admits without interview, check out the results page for MIT* Computer Science. Don’t be discouraged. 

I hope that was helpful. 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:16 AM, Turing101 said:

Hi, 

I sent emails to a lot of POIs for other unis but they rarely reply and if they do it’s very vague like ‘Good Luck with your application’ XD

In an email to a POI that actually replied, he told me that he was happy I contacted him and would love to discuss his group and MIT etc. And then whether I was free for an informal Skype chat. 

i sent an email to my POI at MIT December right before the Christmas holidays in much the same way as all the other POIs , except this time I added a link to my website and kept the email short and to the point , and he replied enthusiastically. I think one of the reasons may have been that before contacting him I browsed his research groups website and saw that he actively encouraged interested PhD students to get in touch, so he was actually looking for them. A lot of professors may not be looking for PhD students at all for the upcoming year. In hindsight I would ask the POI if they were looking for phd students first before actively engaging them. 

A LOT of people said they got admits without interview, check out the results page for MIT* Computer Science. Don’t be discouraged. 

I hope that was helpful. 

Thank you @Turing101, it is so sweet of you! There is someone who post interview on results page. Although it s less probable to get an interview around this time, as the final announcement may come next two weeks (based on previous years) but lets hope the best outcome...

Is that you who got interview? @peanutjellyfish

I think they are meeting this Monday to sort out admission related stuff according to the EECS calendar. Visit days are on the week of February 25. I am assuming results should come out in less than two weeks. If not this upcoming Friday, then we will have to wait until the 6th (based on last year's results).

Edited by phdee2019
Additional details

4 minutes ago, phdee2019 said:

I think they are meeting this Monday to sort out admission related stuff according to the EECS calendar. Visit days are on the week of February 25. I am assuming results should come out in less than two weeks. If not this upcoming Friday, then we will have to wait until the 6th (based on last year's results).

how do u know that there will be a meeting this Mon and that of the visit days? is there any link that u can share?

1 minute ago, shrek12 said:

how do u know that there will be a meeting this Mon and that of the visit days? is there any link that u can share?

https://calendars.mit.edu/Pages/CalendarViews/MonthView.aspx?OrganizationId=9&RoomId=&Date=1%2f11%2f2019+12%3a00%3a00+AM

Look at January and February. It shows both Visit Days and Admission Committee Meetings.