American Lit/Women/Environmental Studies! Help!

Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some help here. I'm a first year masters student and I've begun looking into PhD programs to apply once I graduate. I know this might be somewhat early seeing as I'm not even close to finishing my degree yet, but I know that I'll have to apply by this time next year, so I might as well get a head start! 

My area of interest is 20th century American literature with an emphasis in feminist and ecocriticial analysis. I'm really interested/specialty in archival work. I've worked closely with texts that have been "forgotten" especially those written by women. I tend to lean more towards female writings and Native American writings of the West. So that's where I'm at with this.

In terms of programs, ideally fully-funded and providing ample opportunities in either teaching or research. So far my list includes; UNL, University of Michigan, University of Texas Austin, Ohio State, University of Oregon. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to look into?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by thetruewalkingwoman

I don't have concrete suggestions re: specific programs, but one way to tackle this is to look at who's writing criticism that speaks to you and where they teach. When I was looking where to apply, I followed the trail of queer theorists, for instance. This may be productive also because it simultaneously provides you with some important information regarding your theoretical field of interest, and an understanding of who's who, increased exposure to the current debates, etc.

Good luck!

On 12/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, thetruewalkingwoman said:

20th century American literature with an emphasis in feminist and ecocriticial analysis.

Have you looked into UC Davis? I had a phone call with a current PhD student there who emphasized that the department is doing a lot with ecocrit and ecofeminism. And they have a good amount of 20th century American scholars. Margaret Ronda, Elizabeth Miller, and Michael Ziser might be good ones to look in to! And Frances Dolan isn't in your period, but she does some stuff on the history of books and printing and also stuff on agriculture that could send your research in cool directions! 

• 2 weeks later...