Submitting more than 1 writing sample

tpa

Is anyone submitting more than one writing sample? If you are, how different are the two topics? One of my recommenders suggested I submit a final paper in addition to my original sample but they're basically in the same area, so I'm wondering if doing this would actually hurt me...

On 12/31/2018 at 4:28 PM, tpa said:

Is anyone submitting more than one writing sample? If you are, how different are the two topics? One of my recommenders suggested I submit a final paper in addition to my original sample but they're basically in the same area, so I'm wondering if doing this would actually hurt me...

This could hurt you. From what I've heard, if you decide to submit two papers (when allowed of course) they better be of the same caliber. Otherwise, that's going to raise some red flags. Besides, the selection committees barley have time to read one, I can't imagine them reading 2 properly. Also, in my personal opinion it can be interpreted as a lack of confidence and like you're trying to hedge your bets. Most people and advice I've receive is negative on this regard.

One of my professors submitted two writing samples because she was interested in two very different subjects. (I think one interest was in contemporary analytic philosophy and the other was a historical paper in ancient or modern philosophy.) The benefit of doing that is you can show admission committees you're competent in two very different sub-fields of philosophy. She was admitted to top programs, although I think she applied before the recession, so maybe the situation is different now. But she served on admission committees at my university and elsewhere, and she didn't think it was a bad idea to submit more than one paper (unless both of them are extremely long or something).

I'm submitting two for just one of my schools, where basically I have (1) my main sample, in a pretty mainstream/analytic topic and (2) an additional sample to be considered for a fellowship in a less analytic/mainstream area. I wanted to demonstrate my analytic chops while also being a contender for this fellowship. My advisor thought it would be a good idea, and I put a note in my statement specifying what each was for.