UChicago Harris 2019

feedphil

4 hours ago, dbrendle said:

I checked the official admission page and it says the notification will be released by early March. https://harris.uchicago.edu/admissions/requirements-and-deadlines

Good find. I stand corrected lol. That suggests it'll probably be next week if not this week.

2 minutes ago, YourScruffiness said:

Anyone on here for the Harris PhD program? If so, let’s start fretting about when those letters are going out!

Yep, I applied too. Their website says they'll release decisions at the end of February, so I guess that means this week!

Hi I have am an international student and need some advise, either from incoming Harris MPP students or students from previous batches at Harris.

I am a deferred MPP from last year at Harris. Harris is giving me pretty solid financial aid (70-75% of tuition), but I also have competing offers presently from SIPA (MPA in Economic and Political Development concentration, financial aid decision to be released) and Georgetown McCourt's MIDP program (with similar financial aid as Harris). My questions:

1. I have ~4 years of work ex in international development, and would like to focus my studies on international issues. I have heard from scattered that Harris' curriculum can be a bit domestic focused. 

2. I may want to stay back and work in a DC institution for a couple of years after graduating before returning to international settings/my home country, and that would involve visa sponsorship from a potential recruiter. Would you say Harris is at a disadvantage when it comes to professional opportunities and networking outside of Chicago when compared to SIPA and Georgetown, especially for international students? Has the career development office gotten better at Harris (I heard some reports from the 2015-2016 threads that that was a weak link for the school).

3. I do also have longer term interest in pursuing research, preferably in the political economy of development. For this, I believe Harris has a very strong department especially with the new faculty that have moved there and the Pearson Institute, but I am still unsure whether that compensates for the lack of international focus in the classroom. Is Harris a better pedestal into a PhD program in public policy/political econ. than the other policy schools I mentioned?

4. Does anyone know why the class size at Harris has gotten so much bigger recently and whether that has diluted the classroom experience for students? That was one of the biggest factors against SIPA in my mind, but it looks like Harris is not too far behind in terms of class size. In this regard, Georgetown MIDP has a small classroom of  about 25 students focused on international development work.

Overall, I'm pretty confused about what program to pick. I would love if anyone has any thoughts about any of these points, thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, MPPhopeful322 said:

Someone posted that they got a phone call today for MPP! Hoping more calls are going out! Best wishes to everyone!

Ahh good to hear! Anyone else hear?

16 minutes ago, begbeg said:

Are there any applicants whose application portal have been changed?

My own portal shows "Attention International Admitted Student" on the upper right of the site.

Mine has changed as well! Hope that's a good sign.

Hey All. Since everyone is inquiring, I am the one who posted about my result. I got a call and an email letter from Harris yesterday informing me that I was admitted. Was hoping to understand how you guys would rate the following schools:

Harvard MPP, Princeton MPA, Harris MPP,  LKY-NUS MPP

Admitted to: Harris ($)

Pending: Rest

Edited by MPP2019applicant

On 3/2/2019 at 7:34 AM, MPP2019applicant said:

Hey All. Since everyone is inquiring, I am the one who posted about my result. I got a call and an email letter from Harris yesterday informing me that I was admitted. Was hoping to understand how you guys would rate the following schools:

Harvard MPP, Princeton MPA, Harris MPP,  LKY-NUS MPP

Admitted to: Harris ($)

Pending: Rest

Congrats! I'm hoping more calls go out this week 

44 minutes ago, FujiShe said:

Congrats! I'm hoping more calls go out this week 

Same. Was hoping for today, though it's already almost noon in Chicago. Perhaps tomorrow!

Edited by MPPhopeful322

18 minutes ago, MPP2019YES said:

Hi all! Just received a call from Harris and I'm in! The admission officer told me that there will be updates on the portal by the end of the day tomorrow. Best of luck to you all!!

54 minutes ago, BeninianBeninois said:

Hey! I just received a call from Harris with offer of admission! 

Calls are on the way, people!!

also received a pretty good scholarship

Congratulations! Best to all waiting!

Edited by MPPhopeful322

8 minutes ago, MPPhopeful322 said:

I got a call! In with a generous scholarship! So excited and grateful!

Congrats! How long ago? Trying to see when they call it quits haha!