UChicago Harris 2019

feedphil

11 minutes ago, mfp9 said:

Hello,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I was an early applicant and last week they sent me a "Scholarship Reconsideration" email in which they disclose all the information regarding how to negotiate the scholarship, I believe they will send you that email soon!

Awesome, thank you so much for telling me this!

Last week, I was informed that I am admitted to MA in Public Policy which is 1-year program. Is there anyone to get in this program? I also had received the scholarship reconsideration email a few days before the admission result email was delivered. I am currently working on requesting funding.

Edited by datadata

Congratulations to everyone who's admitted! I'm on the MPP waitlist, does anyone know anyone who has gotten in through the waitlist? And what my approximate chances are?

1 hour ago, hbgurley said:

Has anyone received a negotiated financial aid offer after sending in the scholarship reconsideration form?

I submitted mine last Thursday and have not heard back yet. Assuming they will get back to me within two weeks, I'll probably get a response next week. 

Originally receiving $15k, I have another offer of $80k that I hope will increase my aid package from UChicago.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, justMPPgoofin said:

First, just want to be clear that I think CMU is a good program and that the MSPPM-DA definitely has value.  Don't want anyone reading to get the wrong idea, since I know when I'm stressed I put too much stock on what strangers on the internet say.

To your actual question, yes, I was told the application was narrow and I didn't want to invest my time, money, and effort to something that I was not 100% comfortable with.  The gist of what I was told was certs focus disproportionately on understanding specific algorithms, but if I want to build a sustainable, easy to use application for end users or recipients of my work, those certs might leave something to be desired.

I'm actually a first year MSPPM-DA. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you're making, but I want to clarify that while Heinz does have certificate programs, MSPPM-DA isn't one of them. If anyone does have specific questions about MSPPM-DA, I'm happy to answer them. 

1 minute ago, juanlisa said:

I'm actually a first year MSPPM-DA. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you're making, but I want to clarify that while Heinz does have certificate programs, MSPPM-DA isn't one of them. If anyone does have specific questions about MSPPM-DA, I'm happy to answer them. 

cc @acerbicb

On 3/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, Strider1 said:

Anyone who applied to the MAIDP program and heard back since you applied?

Congratulations to all those who got in, including the ones with $, thanks.

Excited to say I heard back from MAIDP on Thursday and it was good news. Sending best wishes to those that are waiting!

I do have a concern/ question about the MAIDP program at Harris however. I was accepted to the program but not to the Obama Fellowship  (an extremely bittersweet moment for sure!) Based on the conversation I had with the admissions team, the class for the MAIDP will be approximately 20 Obama Fellows and 20 MAIDP non Obama Fellows. Since the MAIDP program was initially launched to compliment the Obama Fellowship Program (as far as I can tell) I am worried that the curriculum/ structure of the MAIDP will feel incomplete without the additional leadership and training opportunities that fellows receive. Furthermore, I am concerned based on a combination of the current language of the website and a bit of my own self doubts, that non-Obama Fellow MAIDP students may be the ugly ducklings of the class.

Anyone else accepted to the MAIDP program but not the Obama Fellowship and if so, any thoughts on the above?
Anyone familiar with Harris that has an opinion/ thoughts on this?

Thanks so much and best of luck (and deep breaths) to all during this time!

18 hours ago, TheGreatestLake said:

Excited to say I heard back from MAIDP on Thursday and it was good news. Sending best wishes to those that are waiting!

I do have a concern/ question about the MAIDP program at Harris however. I was accepted to the program but not to the Obama Fellowship  (an extremely bittersweet moment for sure!) Based on the conversation I had with the admissions team, the class for the MAIDP will be approximately 20 Obama Fellows and 20 MAIDP non Obama Fellows. Since the MAIDP program was initially launched to compliment the Obama Fellowship Program (as far as I can tell) I am worried that the curriculum/ structure of the MAIDP will feel incomplete without the additional leadership and training opportunities that fellows receive. Furthermore, I am concerned based on a combination of the current language of the website and a bit of my own self doubts, that non-Obama Fellow MAIDP students may be the ugly ducklings of the class.

Anyone else accepted to the MAIDP program but not the Obama Fellowship and if so, any thoughts on the above?

Thanks for the response, fingers crossed for you too.
I see your concerns and frankly speaking it didn't occur to me until I saw your comment and now am a bit concerned too.
Were you interviewed after your application submission and did they ask all your referees to answer a set of questions?

On 3/9/2019 at 8:44 AM, TheGreatestLake said:

Sorry you did not receive what you were hoping for !
Are you international? How much financial assistance did Harris end up offering you? Are you considering other equally good offers?

On 3/8/2019 at 10:53 AM, mppchloe said:

Did anyone else receive the scholarship negotiation letter before they've been accepted formally?

Hey! I really don't want to give you incorrect information or falsely get hopes up, but from a recent conversation with admissions staff, those emails are only *supposed* to go out once an applicant has been accepted. If this happened to you, I'd call or email admissions to get an update on your status!

On 3/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, Strider1 said:

Thanks for the response, fingers crossed for you too.
I see your concerns and frankly speaking it didn't occur to me until I saw your comment and now am a bit concerned too.
Were you interviewed after your application submission and did they ask all your referees to answer a set of questions?

Did the interview at the end of January then they asked my referees to answer the questions in February - still waiting

Hi all! Congrats to all those admitted so far and best of luck for everyone in Round 2!

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how RA/TA-ships are compensated. From conversations with admissions representatives, these positions generally pay a ~3k stipend per quarter (or equivalent hourly wage) AND some sort of tuition remission is included. Does anyone know how much the rate is/whether it's for all positions/any specific details whatsoever? I'm trying to calculate expenses/loans/scholarships/etc but have no idea what to include if assuming a full time (15-20/week) RA gig both years.

1 hour ago, darkroastgopher said:

Hi all! Congrats to all those admitted so far and best of luck for everyone in Round 2!

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how RA/TA-ships are compensated. From conversations with admissions representatives, these positions generally pay a ~3k stipend per quarter (or equivalent hourly wage) AND some sort of tuition remission is included. Does anyone know how much the rate is/whether it's for all positions/any specific details whatsoever? I'm trying to calculate expenses/loans/scholarships/etc but have no idea what to include if assuming a full time (15-20/week) RA gig both years.

Wondering the same. I got an offer from Berkeley but it only has a small stipend for the first year. They mention assistantships as an option for funding, so I'm trying to figure out if Chicago would offer the same or if it'd be as likely for me to get one. 

16 hours ago, MPPhopeful322 said:

Wondering the same. I got an offer from Berkeley but it only has a small stipend for the first year. They mention assistantships as an option for funding, so I'm trying to figure out if Chicago would offer the same or if it'd be as likely for me to get one. 

At the admitted students day in Feb. they mentioned that the pay is $15-$18(ish) / hour depending on your experience and what you bring to the RAship. They also mentioned that you can only work 19 hours a week on campus. For TA (2nd year only) it's 3K a quarter. 

4 hours ago, lolo94 said:

At the admitted students day in Feb. they mentioned that the pay is $15-$18(ish) / hour depending on your experience and what you bring to the RAship. They also mentioned that you can only work 19 hours a week on campus. For TA (2nd year only) it's 3K a quarter. 

I heard that as well! I'm still wondering what the additional tuition benefit is that would be included on top of that, though.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:53 AM, mppchloe said:

Did anyone else receive the scholarship negotiation letter before they've been accepted formally?

I did. I haven't yet submitted the request. I hope I would get funding through this opportunity. I also wish you to have funding too.