UChicago Harris 2019

feedphil

I also got a call today! In with 15K scholarship. Really happy but unless I can negotiate the scholarship higher I think it's wiser for me to go to one of the schools that have offered me more funding.

I am in with a 10k scholarship. I received a call earlier this afternoon. I was also told official admissions decisions would start being sent out tomorrow, the 6th, in the late afternoon.

If anyone finds themselves, like me, receiving a smaller scholarship, I have been told by an admissions person and a current student to negotiate. Their main criteria for leverage is offers from other schools.

9 minutes ago, FujiShe said:

Since it’s past 530 in Chicago...

anyone else not get a phone call today? Trying to decide how ominous it is hahah

Much like you I was super pumped about getting funding from Sanford yesterday and like you I am also sweating bullets about not getting a call from Harris today >.<  When I got my apps wrapped up I felt like Harris was my best bet given that they seem to be more lenient towards those with little to no work experience but now that I have the offer from Duke I don't really care that much if I get dinged everywhere else. But Harris has seen their class size go up quite a bit in recent years so I'd also like to think that they simply couldn't get calls out to each and every accepted student today. So I wouldn't lose all hope yet. 

6 minutes ago, Guesswho said:

Much like you I was super pumped about getting funding from Sanford yesterday and like you I am also sweating bullets about not getting a call from Harris today >.<  When I got my apps wrapped up I felt like Harris was my best bet given that they seem to be more lenient towards those with little to no work experience but now that I have the offer from Duke I don't really care that much if I get dinged everywhere else. But Harris has seen their class size go up quite a bit in recent years so I'd also like to think that they simply couldn't get calls out to each and every accepted student today. So I wouldn't lose all hope yet. 

Very very true. I’m sure it takes a while to call so many people.

at least I’m hoping haha

got in for MSCAPP with a 10k scholarship.  This was my dream program so I am super psyched.  A little worried about funding but hopefully i can negotiate and, regardless, beggars can't be choosers.  Good luck to those still waiting!

21 minutes ago, justMPPgoofin said:

got in for MSCAPP with a 10k scholarship.  This was my dream program so I am super psyched.  A little worried about funding but hopefully i can negotiate and, regardless, beggars can't be choosers.  Good luck to those still waiting!

Congrats on admission to MSCAPP! Stupid me missed the call earlier and now I’m stuck in phone limbo purgatory.

Curious, did you apply to either Heinz MSPPM-DA or MS-DSPP at Georgetown (and any funding there)? I went in with these 3 as my top contenders, pending $ obviously.

Got a call finally haha!

in with 10k for the mpp. We will see what happens with negotiation because my competiting offers are stronger but I love Chicago

2 hours ago, nellolikejello said:

Congrats on admission to MSCAPP! Stupid me missed the call earlier and now I’m stuck in phone limbo purgatory.

Curious, did you apply to either Heinz MSPPM-DA or MS-DSPP at Georgetown (and any funding there)? I went in with these 3 as my top contenders, pending $ obviously.

@nellolikejello I didn’t apply to the others. I had the opportunity to talk with a policy analysis PhD candidate at CMU and he kind of turned me off from the MSPPM-DA.

Then the one at Georgetown had some requirement that I didn’t fit (maybe that I haven’t taken linear algebra? Can’t remember exactly), so I applied for the regular MPA there.

Now that I’m in at Harris I don’t mind, because I felt MSCAPP was best for me anyway, but I did like Georgetown’s program a lot too and was bummed about not having all the pre-reqs I needed.

41 minutes ago, justMPPgoofin said:

@nellolikejello I didn’t apply to the others. I had the opportunity to talk with a policy analysis PhD candidate at CMU and he kind of turned me off from the MSPPM-DA.

Then the one at Georgetown had some requirement that I didn’t fit (maybe that I haven’t taken linear algebra? Can’t remember exactly), so I applied for the regular MPA there.

Now that I’m in at Harris I don’t mind, because I felt MSCAPP was best for me anyway, but I did like Georgetown’s program a lot too and was bummed about not having all the pre-reqs I needed.

Do you mind share more information about why MSPPM-DA is turned off for you? I applied to this program and MSSP+DA in UPenn as well but I couldn't find much information about these programs. THX!

9 hours ago, bluelarkspur said:

Do you mind share more information about why MSPPM-DA is turned off for you? I applied to this program and MSSP+DA in UPenn as well but I couldn't find much information about these programs. THX!

@bluelarkspur I had the opportunity to talk with two people whose opinions I trusted, both of whom said that certificate programs wouldn't give me the foundation I needed to be adaptive and make the most use of those skills across a variety of applications.  It was really important to me that the scope of technical and quantitative development have as much breadth and depth as possible, so Georgetown and Harris were the two options left to me.

1 hour ago, justMPPgoofin said:

@bluelarkspur I had the opportunity to talk with two people whose opinions I trusted, both of whom said that certificate programs wouldn't give me the foundation I needed to be adaptive and make the most use of those skills across a variety of applications.  It was really important to me that the scope of technical and quantitative development have as much breadth and depth as possible, so Georgetown and Harris were the two options left to me.

Thank you for sharing this! Based on what you said, I get the sense that your main turn away from Heinz was that DA might have been illustrated as having a narrow application. How so?

Just now, acerbicb said:

Thank you for sharing this! Based on what you said, I get the sense that your main turn away from Heinz was that DA might have been illustrated as having a narrow application. How so?

First, just want to be clear that I think CMU is a good program and that the MSPPM-DA definitely has value.  Don't want anyone reading to get the wrong idea, since I know when I'm stressed I put too much stock on what strangers on the internet say.

To your actual question, yes, I was told the application was narrow and I didn't want to invest my time, money, and effort to something that I was not 100% comfortable with.  The gist of what I was told was certs focus disproportionately on understanding specific algorithms, but if I want to build a sustainable, easy to use application for end users or recipients of my work, those certs might leave something to be desired.

Guest ke7312

In but they didn't share funding info which probably means none or very little. Doubt I'll be able to negotiate that up to the level of some of my other offers. Still cool to get into uchicago though.

35 minutes ago, justMPPgoofin said:

First, just want to be clear that I think CMU is a good program and that the MSPPM-DA definitely has value.  Don't want anyone reading to get the wrong idea, since I know when I'm stressed I put too much stock on what strangers on the internet say.

To your actual question, yes, I was told the application was narrow and I didn't want to invest my time, money, and effort to something that I was not 100% comfortable with.  The gist of what I was told was certs focus disproportionately on understanding specific algorithms, but if I want to build a sustainable, easy to use application for end users or recipients of my work, those certs might leave something to be desired.

Gotcha! This makes sense. Again, I appreciate you sharing.

As someone who sees a future in program/policy evaluation, one of my main concerns with Heinz is the potentially narrow application of the program (e.g. limited to data analysis roles with firms working with big data) and the apparent lack of qualitative research methods — things I was thinking might be more balanced in Harris’ curriculum (at least with my very cursory understanding of these two programs). Your comment really spoke to this line of inquiry!

Edited by acerbicb

Did anyone initially apply to the CAPP program only to find out yesterday/today that they were referred instead to MPP program?

This the boat I’m currently in and I can honestly say it was kind of a letdown. Holding out for the small chance they’ll reconsider / I can transfer in halfway through. They do say there are lots of “opportunities to take coursework across both programs” but I’m somewhat skeptical.

1 minute ago, nellolikejello said:

Hi all,

Starting a Facebook group for admitted students to Harris for Fall 2019.

Would someone be so kind and provide their email address so I can create the group (requires at least one additional friend on FB)?

Thanks,

No need! Admissions already created one. Search it under the name "Harris Public Policy Incoming Class of 2019" and you'll find it.

5 minutes ago, darkroastgopher said:

No need! Admissions already created one. Search it under the name "Harris Public Policy Incoming Class of 2019" and you'll find it.

That’s the kind of hustle I like to see from a program. Cheers for the info!

40 minutes ago, MPP2019 said:

I also was admitted to the MPP today. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to negotiate the scholarship/who should I talk to, etc.? 

Hello,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I was an early applicant and last week they sent me a "Scholarship Reconsideration" email in which they disclose all the information regarding how to negotiate the scholarship, I believe they will send you that email soon!