NELC / Near Eastern Studies Fall 2019

I only applied to CUA's Semitics MA/PhD program and I was admitted to the program. The decision was posted through the admissions' portal on Saturday Feb. 9th. I'm waiting to hear back about funding. Good luck to everyone! 

Edited by DhuRaydan

Did anyone apply to UCLA? I saw someone posted an acceptance there! From my side, still silence from UCLA and JHU...

@nickxk To my knowledge, not many programs do interviews. Brown certainly does, and, apparently, someone was interviewed for JHU last week...

One way or another, the wait is almost over... hang in there everyone! Good luck!

On 2/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, DhuRaydan said:

I only applied to CUA's Semitics MA/PhD program and I was admitted to the program. The decision was posted through the admissions' portal on Saturday Feb. 9th. I'm waiting to hear back about funding. Good luck to everyone! 

Congratulations on the acceptance! Is the funding a sure thing for you, or is that still in the air?

Still radio silence elsewhere, but I just received news that I am an alternate for FLAS funding at Texas for their MA. Here's hoping I can get off that waitlist. If not, I have my in-state school that will likely accept me and another FLAS shot there, or I may still hear good news from one of the PhD programs.

For those who are interested, I heard from some trusted sources that the UC system is in a weird place right now and is only accepting in-state and international applications for their NELC program. Additionally, JHU is notorious for sending out acceptances and rejections super late; like "mid-March" late. 

That said, I still have questions about U of Michigan and NYU (Judaic Studies Dept). Does anyone know if they do interviews or when they typically respond with results?

17 hours ago, TUKUL.TI.A.É.ŠÁR.RA said:

For those who are interested, I heard from some trusted sources that the UC system is in a weird place right now and is only accepting in-state and international applications for their NELC program.

A lot of the funding at the UCs only covers in-state tuition, so I've heard departments have to cover the out-of-state tuition for students for the first year until they can establish residency. It's pretty expensive, I guess. 

I didn't apply to UCLA because all of their ancient Near Eastern faculty have retired, and they're down to only one Egyptologist, and Berkeley seems like it's still rebooting its Egyptology program. 

5 hours ago, seshat said:

A lot of the funding at the UCs only covers in-state tuition, so I've heard departments have to cover the out-of-state tuition for students for the first year until they can establish residency. It's pretty expensive, I guess. 

I didn't apply to UCLA because all of their ancient Near Eastern faculty have retired, and they're down to only one Egyptologist, and Berkeley seems like it's still rebooting its Egyptology program. 

Wait. Really? Burke, Schniedewind, Bakos, and co. retired?? 

Same here... I still haven't heard from JHU or UCLA...

I've had interviews with Brown this past week, so that has made me a bit hopeful after the Chicago rejection... I just want the waiting to end!

I saw that someone got waitlisted at Arizona but I have seen no rejections or acceptances but I'm assuming I'll be rejected (that's the usual order but I've seen the opposite order on occasion). Weird that no one seems to list Arizona in the results compared to other schools when it supposedly has a large program. Perhaps they'll recommend me to the MA program instead as those acceptances go out later?

I know that PhD admissions are a crapshoot but I'm probably going to have to go for the MA before the PhD at this point which is really the standard order of things anyhow in Middle Eastern Studies, it would seem. Some fields have a much higher BA-> PhD rate than BA->MA->PhD and I'm noticing A LOT more people who already have an MA.

If the MA is the way I'll head, I might prefer to go back to my alma mater as they have a lot of funding opportunities and it's in-state tuition. Unfortunately in America price is a huge consideration if one doesn't get a funded PhD spot.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, DhuRaydan said:

Congrats! I applied and was admitted to CUA's Semitics program as well. What are you hoping to study? 

I recently found this thread, and I'm interested to hear what you guys hope to study in MES/NELC programs?

I applied to several places, including Chicago, CUA, and HDS. While I was denied admission into the Ph.D. program at Chicago, my application was forwarded to the MA in CMES; I was also admitted into CUA and am waiting to hear back from HDS. 

12 hours ago, Coptophile said:

Congrats! I applied and was admitted to CUA's Semitics program as well. What are you hoping to study? 

Congratulations on your admissions! I applied to the Christian Near East program, Arabic will be my major language, I am hoping to pick up Syriac and Ge'ez as well. I take it you're interested in Coptic? ? Any secondary interests?  

13 minutes ago, DhuRaydan said:

Congratulations on your admissions! I applied to the Christian Near East program, Arabic will be my major language, I am hoping to pick up Syriac and Ge'ez as well. I take it you're interested in Coptic? ? Any secondary interests?  

Same with the Christian Near East, and yes, Coptic is my primary research language :P I'm interested in picking up Arabic as my minor language if I attend since I want to study Byzantine/Islamic Egypt. Before Near Eastern stuff, I studied Latin and ancient/Byzantine Greek for three years, but I spend more time studying Coptic nowadays. 

On a side note, good luck with funding! It's a great program, and I presume that you'll be studying with Dr. Aaron Butts?

My area of interest has to do with discourse and the interactions between Islamist and western ideologies such as liberalism, Marxism, etc with an emphasis on 20th century movements in the Levant. How did ‘ulema contend with ideologies from a different tradition of thought from their own? How did Syrian, Lebanese, and Iraqi communists and nationalists co-opt elements of Islamic thought? 

As such, my school choices deal much more heavily in critical studies.

When does one assume a waitlist? I have not heard back from anywhere except for the Texas MA (will know about Michigan MA soon) but have not heard anything definitive at all from any of my PhD apps.

Hi, I checked the results for Harvard and it seems they have already sent a couple. They're both MA's, has anybody heard anything about PhD's? Should I be hopeful that no PhD acceptances have been recorded yet or should I just wait for a rejection letter to come some time next week?