Do you know any schools which interviews the candidates before the admission?

TheBunny

1 hour ago, nietzsche's moustache said:

I was interviewed by Penn Political Science Admssions Committee, and I can tell you about the content if you are interested. 

Penn as in UPenn or Penn State? Please do if you don't mind. Much appreciated and good luck!

Chiming in on the nature of the interview at George Washington. It was done over the phone with the Americanist on the admissions committee (I applied as an Americanist). It was relatively brief, and the interviewer asked clarifying questions about my writing sample and my research interests. I spent several hours preparing for the interview and answered the questions honestly, although I could tell some of the stuff I told him wasn't exactly what he wanted to hear. The interview was far from a cakewalk. I came away with the feeling that I was one of a handful of people they were considering, and that they hadn't decided on me yet. A few days later, I got wait listed. I hope this helps others in the same situation -good luck to all!

Edited by amyvt98
fixed a typographical error

On 2/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, PolisciappDZ said:

Penn as in UPenn or Penn State? Please do if you don't mind. Much appreciated and good luck!

Penn as in UPenn. They asked specific questions about my writing sample and research interests, such as "what do you think political theory is?", or "can you explain the difference between domination and oppression?" etc., which took like 20 min.. After that they let me ask my questions, and I asked about exchange opportunities, conference travel funds, and the overall working environment. No word on the possible decision dates. 

7 hours ago, nietzsche's moustache said:

Penn as in UPenn. They asked specific questions about my writing sample and research interests, such as "what do you think political theory is?", or "can you explain the difference between domination and oppression?" etc., which took like 20 min.. After that they let me ask my questions, and I asked about exchange opportunities, conference travel funds, and the overall working environment. No word on the possible decision dates. 

Thank you for your reply, I'm guessing they interviewed potential admitted students, if no interview chances are slim... Did they mention anything about answers? Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, PolisciappDZ said:

Thank you for your reply, I'm guessing they interviewed potential admitted students, if no interview chances are slim... Did they mention anything about answers? Thank you for your help!

No decisions on their part, yet. 

I interviewed with the DGS at Stony Brook. It was a scripted interview with predictable questions (e.g. what are your research interests, what is your preparation in methods and statistics, Stony Brook is a unique and small department, why do you want to go here? etc.). DGS said "if it's good news from us or a waitlist, you'll hear by the 2nd week of February."  DGS said rejections don't come out until later.