Fall 2019 Business PhD Applicants

JigglyPuffy

2 hours ago, Linchpin said:

Thank you! I am waiting to hear back from 9 others schools.  I had seen your post about applying to 13 schools. How many are you waiting to hear back from? Judging from last year, I bet we hear from a lot of our programs next week.

11...or maybe 10 with that insight from phdmang. Right now I'm trying to take my mind off of the remaining ones as I spend way too much time on this site refreshing the results page ha!

2 hours ago, psycinfo said:

Dupree told me she was taking students :)

Well that's good to hear...after getting the opposite from her. Nonetheless I'm equally interested in working with the other POIs I referenced in my SOP. May we all have some good news in the early weeks of February.

48 minutes ago, OBforme said:

Well that's good to hear...after getting the opposite from her. Nonetheless I'm equally interested in working with the other POIs I referenced in my SOP. May we all have some good news in the early weeks of February.

Yes, here's to some (hopefully) good news!  Judging by last year's posts, this coming week is going to be a big one.

8 minutes ago, minimu said:

Hey all! 

I’m applying for 12 schools (3 Canadians, 9 u.s) for their ph.d in marketing. So far I’ve received  an interview and still waiting for other 11. I hope we all good luck in the coming weeks!

Could I please ask which school interviewed you? I'm also waiting for the interviews and would be glad to know where I'm standing among other applicants.

One of my POIs just sent me a few of their recent papers to discuss in greater detail in the coming weeks.  As a bit of context, we had a very general 45-min conversation last month about my background and interests as well as the PhD program at their school (I actually wasn't very optimistic about the impression I made).  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Should I be prepared for a formal critique?  

Edited by phdmang
clarity

52 minutes ago, phdmang said:

One of my POIs just sent me a few of their recent papers to discuss in greater detail in the coming weeks.  As a bit of context, we had a very general 45-min conversation last month about my background and interests as well as the PhD program at their school (I actually wasn't very optimistic about the impression I made).  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Should I be prepared for a formal critique?  

I'd say better to be prepared than not since the last conversation was a general chat, and this time around they have sent you materials they want to discuss with you. But I have not experience something quite as similar.

Anybody in Accounting? Got 1 rejection so far and no news from anywhere else yet. I feel good about my other stats like GRE and undergrad GPA, but definitely concerned about the lack of research experience like some of you have shared here. I've been in practice for the last several years but I have no idea how much my professional experience will help.

13 hours ago, hanaahop said:

Anybody in Accounting? Got 1 rejection so far and no news from anywhere else yet. I feel good about my other stats like GRE and undergrad GPA, but definitely concerned about the lack of research experience like some of you have shared here. I've been in practice for the last several years but I have no idea how much my professional experience will help.

I think you're the first for accounting to post here. Maybe more will come now :)

I applied to two types of programs... Sports Management & Strategic Management.  My focus is almost entirely related to business aspects of varying sports organizations, revenue development, sponsorship, eSports, lots of 'sexy' stuff right now.

Sports Management applications went to 4 schools, none of which are in the top 40.  I have heard back from 3 of 4 (I think #4 got held-up in the portal because of a document issue before going to the department).  Of the 3 that I interviewed with, I got 2 snap acceptances with GA stipend + tuition (they both submitted me for the presidential scholarship, so we'll see), I am still waiting to hear back regarding accept/reject from the 3rd (it's a more prestigious program, didn't expect a snap decision; don't really expect an acceptance as the skype interview was only meh).

I haven't heard back from a single 'traditional management' school out of the 7 to which I applied; many are large public schools with big and productive management programs that likely receive hundreds of applications.  I don't really see any of the programs to which I applied having results posted, so I am fairly optimistic that this or next week will be the big week for these 'traditional management' programs to respond to their many hundreds of applicants.  

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on how strong the Management and Organizations PhD program is at Iowa Tippie? It appears to have strong recent placements at Indiana and Texas A&M: (https://tippie.uiowa.edu/future-graduate-students/phd-programs/phd-management-organizations). 

What are some schools in the same tier, would you pass up offers from University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, and University of Western Ontario to attend? I am a Canadian, but would like to work in the US afterwards and was wondering if it may be better to attend an American school.

Thanks,

M

6 hours ago, Linchpin said:

I am surprised how quiet the Results section is for Management/OB. I mean, after Ross sent out rejections this weekend for M&O, only two people posted their rejections. Not a whole lot of updates on interviews either.

Agreed...maybe they're being cautious until their interviews occur. I've seen that from others with business PhD interviews on the results page.

Got two very solid offers now trying to make a decision....

One is top ivy that already has offers out, the other is state school in the midwest that has a very strong OB program. 

Feel like going to the OB program will be a very safe choice in terms of receiving the training to be a very productive researcher and publish tons of paper. However, this program seems to be very institutionalized and only do research in several areas. Ivy has a good name and prestige. It also offers a gateway to be placed in the very top schools after graduation too. But I feel like it will be much less hands-on and faculty will be preoccupied in teaching MBA/consulting. And I feel like once you fail to prove yourself to be a star it will be hard to survive. To me there seems to be more risk and I am basically asking myself if I am smart enough to be successful there. 

Does anyone know anything about the ivy program I am talking about and can share with me how their program works? or in general how ivy PhD programs differ from state school programs?

Thanks! 

On 2/5/2019 at 8:25 PM, JigglyPuffy said:

Anyone here applied to Cornell? I saw two others posted on the results page said they received interview invitations. Does anyone know whether they will have pa second round interview or cornell has already sent out all the invitations? 

Hi there, JigglyPuffy - I had my interviews at Cornell (Johnson) this week, and they will apparently be issuing decisions next week.  I think they're sending out interview invites in waves, inviting 1-2 at a time and making offers before moving on to other interviews.  If I get an offer, I will likely accept (fingers crossed!).

On 2/9/2019 at 3:43 AM, phdmang said:

Hi there, JigglyPuffy - I had my interviews at Cornell (Johnson) this week, and they will apparently be issuing decisions next week.  I think they're sending out interview invites in waves, inviting 1-2 at a time and making offers before moving on to other interviews.  If I get an offer, I will likely accept (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for the information. Hope you can get the offer!

On 2/9/2019 at 5:11 AM, Momoneedluck said:

Just got a rejection from Berkley Haas. Received an email to check application status.

Second rejection today, and third so far.. well, fingers crossed for the rest!

Anyone has heard from Management/OB at Toronto Rotman, UCLA, USC (Marshall), UCI, UW Seattle? 

I also applied to UCLA and UW Seattle. Haven't heard anything yet. I also didn't see updates on the results page. 

5 minutes ago, JigglyPuffy said:

Thanks for the information. Hope you can get the offer!

Hi JigglyPuffy - no problem.  I know the news may not be the most auspicious for you, but I feel like even bad news is better than no news at this point in the game, so I felt inclined to share...

Thanks for the well-wishes, too!  Cornell is probably my top choice right now and I think my interviews went well, so I'm hoping it works out.  Here's hoping that all goes well for you this cycle, too!

Has anyone heard from Emory or Columbia? I got word last week that Columbia is reaching out to applicants for interviews over the next two weeks (now one week) and if you don't hear anything that means you weren't on the finalist list.

11 hours ago, JigglyPuffy said:

I also applied to UCLA and UW Seattle. Haven't heard anything yet. I also didn't see updates on the results page. 

I believe UCLA has already contacted those on their short list for interviews. Or either they've already completed interviews.