Fall 2019 Business PhD Applicants

JigglyPuffy

Hey

I am joining a bit late.

But thought of giving update from my end.

So I have GRE (168 Quant 156 Verbal) TOEFL 106.

And have a master in science followed by 5 yrs of Start-Up experience (Co-Founded).

I have applied to seven Schools for PhD in Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship

UIUC - Gies

UNC

University of Georgia - Terry

Purdue

Maryland

UMass Amherst

Syracuse

Haven't received any rejects yet. But have been waitlisted by Terry. And haven't received the interview call from UNC so I guess weight listed there too.

I wrote to Profs but except One I haven't heard back from any other schools.

Anybody from Strategic Management out here ?

On 2/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, hanaahop said:

Anybody in Accounting? Got 1 rejection so far and no news from anywhere else yet. I feel good about my other stats like GRE and undergrad GPA, but definitely concerned about the lack of research experience like some of you have shared here. I've been in practice for the last several years but I have no idea how much my professional experience will help.

Do you mind tell us which school has sent rejection letters? I applied 6 schools, and haven't heard from any of them?

So, I just got word from Cornell that they've only invited three people to interview and will be making one offer.  They probably won't be inviting anyone else to interview this year.  They're definitely top choice, though, so my fingers are crossed there...

Ross (strategy) have also sent out invites as well!  Apparently, if you haven't received one by Friday, you probably weren't short-listed. 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:43 AM, JigglyPuffy said:

Congratulations to your offer! At least you got something in your hand. My minimum requirement is at least sending me some interview invitations. I read a post somewhere else said the person who applied to nearly 20 schools got silent rejections to all of them. It really freaks me out. 

I also applied to 20 schools and I am so happy I did. I have had only 4 Skype interviews and 1 offer. Reading forums I hear that it is bad form to ask a school that you haven't heard anything from about status. But a friend of mine applying to MBA had success in prodding the schools with a polite email. Would it be different for Ph.D. programs?

Edited by coffeefan

1 hour ago, coffeefan said:

I also applied to 20 schools and I am so happy I did. I have had only 4 Skype interviews and 1 offer. Reading forums I hear that it is bad form to ask a school that you haven't heard anything from about status. But a friend of mine applying to MBA had success in prodding the schools with a polite email. Would it be different for Ph.D. programs?

Congrats on the offer, though!  That's a huge accomplishment. 

Re: following up with schools - I've also heard that it's poor form, but I've had success with the "two-week rule": if you had a good conversation with someone and haven't heard back in ~2 weeks, I think a polite follow up is worthwhile.  I'll also say that I've had a few professors reach out to me after interviews to ask how "serious" I am about their program, so I think (tactfully) demonstrating commitment and interest is probably helpful.  

On 2/5/2019 at 9:02 AM, OBforme said:

I think you're the first for accounting to post here. Maybe more will come now :)

It's been some time since the original post, so I guess the person might have gotten some results. But I also got one rejection, a few interviews, but nothing else. Its agonizing to know results can come as late as two months from now!

27 minutes ago, phdmang said:

Congrats on the offer, though!  That's a huge accomplishment. 

Re: following up with schools - I've also heard that it's poor form, but I've had success with the "two-week rule": if you had a good conversation with someone and haven't heard back in ~2 weeks, I think a polite follow up is worthwhile.  I'll also say that I've had a few professors reach out to me after interviews to ask how "serious" I am about their program, so I think (tactfully) demonstrating commitment and interest is probably helpful.  

I couldn’t agree more. Follow-up sometimes is necessary after two weeks from the interview— what my experience tells me

Does any body know how do b-schools handle waitlists?

Do they interview their waitlists for interview now, or do they send the interview invitation after April 15? (I mean, if we haven't invited for interview yet, does that mean we're not waitlisted?)

•  
  • 20 hours ago, aniston said:

Does any body know how do b-schools handle waitlists?

Do they interview their waitlists for interview now, or do they send the interview invitation after April 15? (I mean, if we haven't invited for interview yet, does that mean we're not waitlisted?)

I don't know about other schools but I Got a mail from Terry-UGA stating that I am waitlisted and they are conducting the interview for the shortlisted candidates. And a friend of mine  (2016) was informed by Rutgers in the first week of April that she was waitlisted and interview can occur by 15th.

• So where all have you applied and reply ?

• Mine 0a/1w/0r/5p

4 hours ago, StrategicPhD said:
  •  
  • I don't know about other schools but I Got a mail from Terry-UGA stating that I am waitlisted and they are conducting the interview for the shortlisted candidates. And a friend of mine  (2016) was informed by Rutgers in the first week of April that she was waitlisted and interview can occur by 15th.

• So where all have you applied and reply ?

• Mine 0a/1w/0r/5p

To the waitlist question: my understanding is that waitlist notifications can occur as late as mid-March - schools often make a "first round of offers", give those people time to make their decisions, and then set up a waitlist.  If their "first-choices" decline (which often occurs as late as April 1), then they draw on the waitlist they formalized a bit earlier.  I know that other schools make their "offer" and "waitlist" lists in parallel, though, so I think the process is a bit idiosyncratic. 

In terms of interviewing, I've heard of this happening in a few ways so far: some schools (like Berkeley) interview a larger number of people initially, and that interview pool eventually leads to both the accepted and waitlisted groups.  If you haven't been interviewed by THOSE schools yet, a rejection is likely on its way.  I've also seen other schools "interview as they go", interviewing their top choices earlier on and waiting for them to decline before interviewing others.  

And I have:  2a/0w/3r/3p. 

Edited by phdmang

6 hours ago, phdmang said:

To the waitlist question: my understanding is that waitlist notifications can occur as late as mid-March - schools often make a "first round of offers", give those people time to make their decisions, and then set up a waitlist.  If their "first-choices" decline (which often occurs as late as April 1), then they draw on the waitlist they formalized a bit earlier.  I know that other schools make their "offer" and "waitlist" lists in parallel, though, so I think the process is a bit idiosyncratic. 

In terms of interviewing, I've heard of this happening in a few ways so far: some schools (like Berkeley) interview a larger number of people initially, and that interview pool eventually leads to both the accepted and waitlisted groups.  If you haven't been interviewed by THOSE schools yet, a rejection is likely on its way.  I've also seen other schools "interview as they go", interviewing their top choices earlier on and waiting for them to decline before interviewing others.  

And I have:  2a/0w/3r/3p. 

Congrats on your two accept :) as far as I remember you only applied to the top B-School. So your anxiety and time on Grad cafe would have reduced considerably. All the best for the remaining three. 

1 hour ago, StrategicPhD said:

Congrats on your two accept :) as far as I remember you only applied to the top B-School. So your anxiety and time on Grad cafe would have reduced considerably. All the best for the remaining three. 

Thanks, man!  Yes, I sort of aimed high this year and things seem to be working out so far - the initial rejections stung, but the subsequent acceptances have more than made up for them.  At least I know I'm going somewhere!  All the best to you, too :) 

18 hours ago, phdmang said:

Thanks, man!  Yes, I sort of aimed high this year and things seem to be working out so far - the initial rejections stung, but the subsequent acceptances have more than made up for them.  At least I know I'm going somewhere!  All the best to you, too :) 

Congrats!! Great news. Looking forward to hearing where/when you accept.

This week stung a bit for me. Rejections from the Management departments of Sloan, Kellogg, and Booth. Still waiting to hear from Yale, NYU, Columbia, Rotman, HBS, and Duke. Looks like Yale Management may have already made offers according to GradCafe. Not sure about the other programs. 

22 hours ago, phdmang said:

In the end, only one accept matters. Till then the other accepts just gives the confidence to face the wait. All the best for the one you are looking for. :)

18 hours ago, Linchpin said:

Congrats!! Great news. Looking forward to hearing where/when you accept.

This week stung a bit for me. Rejections from the Management departments of Sloan, Kellogg, and Booth. Still waiting to hear from Yale, NYU, Columbia, Rotman, HBS, and Duke. Looks like Yale Management may have already made offers according to GradCafe. Not sure about the other programs. 

I just heard that, indeed, Yale had made their decisions and decided to prioritize micro candidates this year.  Best of luck to those who fit that profile!

9 hours ago, minimu said:

I see two  accepts in marketing in the result search. 

image.thumb.png.e4b823ca5624c5de88151fe1edb1ed46.png

This is the first posting mentioning Management from one of the universities to which I applied.  It's an international student with a really nice quant score.  Anyone have any information about Oregon?

12 hours ago, Lak said:

Did anyone get interview call from UMD strategy?

I got a mail stating that their goal is to have some notification sent out by the first week of March.

So where all have you applied ?

22 hours ago, late bloomer said:

image.thumb.png.e4b823ca5624c5de88151fe1edb1ed46.png

This is the first posting mentioning Management from one of the universities to which I applied.  It's an international student with a really nice quant score.  Anyone have any information about Oregon?

You have applied for which program at University of Georgia ?

Just now, StrategicPhD said:

You have applied for which program at University of Georgia ?

Sports Management.  I have only heard back from the Sports Management programs (4 of 4).  I heard from Georgia State on Monday, and they said it is traditional for them to submit shortlisted candidates to their entire departments' research professorate for additional review (he also said the meeting isn't even scheduled yet <_<).

As for the Strategic Management programs, I have technically heard back from GAtech but by way an upload to the portal, no other communication (it was a typical decline.pdf, did mention that the research wasn't a fit).

So that makes it (1 of 7) in terms of hearing back from Strategic Management programs (I really didn't make too many reaches, i didn't want to bring down program admission cohort averages :), I still expect to hear from most of them).