Self care while waiting for acceptances?

Hey all, I am nervously awaiting notifications for the Fall 19 cycle and am looking for self care tips. Though it's still early, I find myself on gradcafe results, on school websites, and generally being a nervous wreck daily through this process. What have you done to get your mind off things and practice good self care? Thank you in advance.

Hey! I’m in the same boat as you; with all my applications submitted, I found myself with so much free time, but for grad school, all we can do right now is wait! The best advice I could give you is to take a step away from your computer as it can easily become a source of anxiety. Find little moments of happiness in daily activities- consider doing things outside your comfort zone or activities you placed on the back burner trying to wrap up grad apps. Find things that make you happy, such as driving or listening to your favorite music, and do them often. Self-care for me has a big social aspect, so I’ve been filling my days spending time with my family, catching up with my friends, and picking back up some old hobbies. I really enjoy journaling and doing group fitness classes at my college’s gym. Even taking a walk outside, going to a local farmer’s market, reading a book, or catching up with a friend can brighten up my day! Self-care can not only be bath bombs and face masks (which are both really great!) but also knowing your limits and saying ‘no’. It’s putting yourself first and doing what you think is best for you. On a different note, I am so excited about the change that the next few months may bring, finally knowing where we might be attending grad school, and the opportunities we have coming our way! No need to be stressing- “if you stress too much about something before it happens, you basically put yourself through it twice”. I hope you find a good way to spend the time we have until decisions! You got this girl!

I feel this same way!!! It felt like the application cycle was a full-time gig. 0.o I’ve been able to enjoy my time with friends and family more. I’m catching up on new TV shows, keeping up with the news, and trying out new restaurants. Not sure where you are, but it’s blistering cold where I am, so it feels like I’m even more trapped in the waiting game. 

Maybe pick up a new hobby? I recently taught myself how to crochet, and I have been knitting too. Creativity is key! 

Best of luck, friend. We’re in this together!

Seconded on the hobby thing!  While I was waiting, I worked on scanning all of my grandmother's pictures from the 1940s and starting to build an album.  They're completely out of order and jammed together in a box, so it required a lot of attention, especially because I'm trying to build a coherent timeline of sorts.  Project still isn't done, but I did get my acceptance. ?  I also recommend spending as much time with supportive family and friends as you can, especially since grad school will be intense and you won't get the same time during it.

Best of luck!

My biggest advice would to keep yourself busy! Like others mentioned this could be a new hobby, working out, hanging out with friends, etc. When you are busy you don't have time to think and worry about the what ifs of your application. Also give yourself a clap on the back! Applying for programs is not easy and neither is this process. Treat yourself! Get a massage, spa time, nails, etc! 

Hello! My job keeps me occupied mentally; I work in a special day class helping students with autism and emotional disturbances so I have my hands full throughout the day!

I also listen to Korean pop music on my downtime and watch walkthrough videos on youtube about games. Anyone who's into Kpop, feel free to message me :) 

I actively color in my coloring books and that relieves some tension. It's a good distraction while listening to music. 

I don't have many expectations about acceptances my first time applying, especially because of my stats (low GPA and GRE scores). I did my best on the essays. I hope my recommendations, experience, volunteering, and essays outshine my stats. Positive thoughts! 

On 1/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, BioluminescentCK said:

That’s a really cool hobby! I should do some of that next time I’m home. Congrats on the acceptance too. ?

Thanks on both counts! :)