Yale MFA 2019

henryfive

On 2/2/2019 at 9:20 AM, Aatt said:

Actually being fresh out of undergrad might be a reason why you didn’t get in. At the open house they mentioned a bunch of times that they didn’t want people right out of school. They said they wanted you to have work experience. They also said they didn’t really want school projects in the portfolio because they can tell when projects were done for a class. So ur portfolio might be amazing and really strong but being out of undergrad could have been a negative. They did say there are exceptions to the rule, but generally they didn’t want right out of undergrad. So I wouldn’t criticized if portfolio too much for it. I also didn’t get an interview and I have work experience, so I have no excuses lol. 

I'm sorry that you didn't get in this year, keep trying though! I heard an esteemed person tried four times. She used her experience to encourage others. Yale is definitely worth trying multiple times! It is a leading and competitive platform. 

As for my situation, I had work and out of college experiences. It was out of these experiences that I turned to fine art. I'm tad bit older than my fellow undergrads. So I thought this kind of experience would count into Yale's admission guideline. I guess there was little room for interpretation. btw two of my acquaintances got interviews. They were out of school for 1~2 years. I guess you are more right about Yale don't take people straight from undergrad and I should give my portfolio a critical break lol. 

I interview on Feb 28th, and I would say let's meet for drinks but I'm gonna be too broke trying to afford to get to Yale's mandatory interview. Congrats to those offered interviews and for those who weren't, you may have saved yourself coins and for that, I envy you! 

Hi! Can anyone advise on in-person interviews versus Skype? I'm based in NY but am currently abroad until March. My instinct tells me that it's a bit ridiculous to change my flight, however, I don't want to be at a disadvantage for opting out of an in-person. For reference, my interview is for sculpture and we are only asked to present digital images of our work.

What do you guys think? 

hi everyone, congrats to all who got an interview! I will be interviewing for sculpture on early morning feb 26 on campus. I reached out to their admissions coordinator with this question, but I'm wondering if anyone is including additional work in the digital presentation that you didn't have in the portfolio? 

Edited by yessi

4 hours ago, heydd said:

Hi! Can anyone advise on in-person interviews versus Skype? I'm based in NY but am currently abroad until March. My instinct tells me that it's a bit ridiculous to change my flight, however, I don't want to be at a disadvantage for opting out of an in-person. For reference, my interview is for sculpture and we are only asked to present digital images of our work.

What do you guys think? 

i'm not sure of the answer as a first-time applicant but the in-person "mandatory" interview is so outrageous..."need-blind admissions" where lmao

5 hours ago, yessi said:

hi everyone, congrats to all who got an interview! I will be interviewing for sculpture on early morning feb 26 on campus. I reached out to their admissions coordinator with this question, but I'm wondering if anyone is including additional work in the digital presentation that you didn't have in the portfolio? 

Hi all..... just came across this forum, got really curious. Sculptor here, finishing undergrad, thinking about applying next year to Yale. I know everyone here is saying Yale wants you to take time off, but how long? For first time applicants who got an interview, how much time did you take off between undergrad and applying? 

Any advice appreciated … thanks! 

11 hours ago, yessi said:

Hi! I plan to stick to my original portfolio and include additional documentation of works already submitted. 

8 hours ago, heydd said:

Hi! I plan to stick to my original portfolio and include additional documentation of works already submitted. 

thank you!  I really want to include new works, maybe i will just add them in that thumb drive in case....

22 hours ago, yessi said:

Congrats! Would you share with us what the admissions officer say?

I've heard from the past most students show additional pictures of the works already submitted.  

2 hours ago, biu said:

Also, for sculpture applicants, are we supposed to just put individual images in a folder in the thumb drive? Numbered in order? Kinda confused........... 

same, also confused, will be sure to share whatever info I get from the admissions officer.

Is anyone going to be in New Haven the night of Feb 25th? I need somewhere to stay and I can barely afford the flight let alone a hotel so I'm wondering if anyone has any leads. I dislike using airbnb but I"m looking into that now, will share with the group if I find something cheap

39 minutes ago, yikesyikes said:

Got an interview for GD as well, going for the late Monday interview. Where u based, Mike?

Brooklyn atm, you?

Edited by MikeM77

On 2/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, yessi said:

same, also confused, will be sure to share whatever info I get from the admissions officer.

Is anyone going to be in New Haven the night of Feb 25th? I need somewhere to stay and I can barely afford the flight let alone a hotel so I'm wondering if anyone has any leads. I dislike using airbnb but I"m looking into that now, will share with the group if I find something cheap

On 2/5/2019 at 12:29 PM, biu said:

Also, for sculpture applicants, are we supposed to just put individual images in a folder in the thumb drive? Numbered in order? Kinda confused........... 

from admissions coordinator re: sculpture interview presentations -- "you may prepare a PowerPoint if you like, though I suggest having a folder with the files as back-up just in case the PowerPoint versions are not compatible."

Also airbnb is an evil company lol but i found cheap accommodation and I hope this might help ppl who r struggling making this "mandatory" "need-blind" interview:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23730022?location=New%20Haven%2C%20CT%2C%20United%20States&adults=1&guests=1&s=lwg8fzkY

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18765131?location=New%20Haven%2C%20CT%2C%20United%20States&adults=1&guests=1&s=lwg8fzkY

Wishing luck 2 everyone <3

I was rejected to Yale for Graphic Design, but I'm fresh out of undergrad so that may be why. I'm also not sure if my portfolio style is a match for them. I'm curious to see what the portfolios look like of accepted/interviewed applicants to get an idea of what they look for. ?