2019Fall Applicants for IEOR Ph.D. Program

Claucisco

@theonionring Thanks for sharing. The deadline is also 4/15. Do you plan to visit Cornell? If you get an offer on the very last day, how would you compare your other offers with Cornell? Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

@Birdyyy I dont think i'll have time to visit Cornell tbh. Personally I think Cornell and other places that I've been put on their waitlists are better than what I have currently so if I get accepted by any of them I would probably choose that place over what I have currently. But like, it would be nice to really get to visit and get the vibe of the program/campus/etc., but  I guess there's not much I can do at this point. 

Just got rejected by Cornell. They said that they are not able to accept anyone on the waitlist at all since the number of incoming students already exceed the upper bound that they had set. The fraction of applicants accepting their offers is above the percentages of any recent years.

12 hours ago, theonionring said:

Just got rejected by Cornell. They said that they are not able to accept anyone on the waitlist at all since the number of incoming students already exceed the upper bound that they had set. The fraction of applicants accepting their offers is above the percentages of any recent years.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that ? But it sounds like you do have other options on the table?

2 hours ago, theonionring said:

@itheproofofstupidity thanks! yea, but it is not in operations research so i'm not really sure whether I want to attend the program. Just saw that you got into Berkeley, Congrats! Are you inclining toward Berkeley more than Georgia Tech?

Ah, I see that makes sense. Is it in statistics? If it's a funded opportunity, there may be some opportunity to pivot since statistics and or are so closely intertwined.

I think I am leaning toward Berkeley because of career reasons. I would like to continue down academia, but seems like most people who came out of tech and into academia came from Dr. Nemhauser's group but I believe he is no longer taking new students whereas Berkeley's Dr. Atamturk and Dr. Shen have really strong records and are still taking students. I'm also nervous about a large cohort and trying to stand out amongst really strong students. 

• 1 year later...

Hello Guys I have through this whole thread and learnt many things
thank you.

I have few questions 
Can some one tell me class size of PhD Columbia IEOR, MIT ORC and UC Berkeley?

I have talked to a potential Advisor at Columbia he said For Best result I should apply for PhD and also he suggested that I should mention his name in Sop and after submitting application we can discuss possibilities.

One professor just "Encouraged me to apply for PhD" in personalized mail, while I reached out.(I don't know what that means positive or Negative)