Any HCDE/HCI Master's applicants out there?

ibsby98

Looks like most of the schools I applied to start sending out news mid-March but the wait is agonizing to say the least. I don't even know if I can be confident. This is my first time applying and I am straight out of undergrad. One can only hope.

1 hour ago, ohdeargodwhy said:

Here. This is my second application cycle. Started a program in the fall that wasn't a good fit and I guess I'm a masochist

haha I'm sure you're not. Do you mind me asking where you are now and why you feel it isn't a good fit?

I only applied to 3 schools and I would hate to go through all of this hassle only to hate my program

20 hours ago, pensivefont said:

Me! I've applied to 5 different programs, all in the US. 

Also my first time applying but have been working for the past 4-ish years. 

Good luck! The wait is so nerve-wracking because from other posts I've seen, its so hard to figure out what these schools want

5 hours ago, ibsby98 said:

Good luck! The wait is so nerve-wracking because from other posts I've seen, its so hard to figure out what these schools want

Good luck to you too! ?

I looked up students on linkedin in all the programs I've applied to, just to see what their general background is like, but that doesn't tell you a whole lot. 

19 hours ago, Conviction said:

Here here! Which schools have you guys applied to and with which undergrad background? I'm an international with 3-ish working exp. in tech.

I decided to only do three schools. Applied to University of Washington, Georgia Tech and San Jose State

Graduated from undergrad in Computer Science. Also international. Been working  for the past year in tech as well. I am unbelievably nervous haha.

9 hours ago, Alexyc said:

Here. Coming directly from undergrad as well. Crossing fingers. 

Its nerve-wracking going straight from undergrad because I feel like most of the applicants have a lot more to offer research-wise/work experience

Yeeeesss, especially for UW and CMU.

I applied for GT as well (along with CMU/UMich/UMD). My guess is that GT cares (a little) less about professional exp than the other top programs.

Good luck!

14 hours ago, ibsby98 said:

Its nerve-wracking going straight from undergrad because I feel like most of the applicants have a lot more to offer research-wise/work experience

I applied for GT as well (along with CMU/UMich/UMD). My guess is that GT cares (a little) less about professional exp than the other top programs.

Good luck!

(forgot to quote before)

5 hours ago, Alexyc said:

Good luck!

(forgot to quote before)

I think so too but I spoke with a current student at UW and she said they really try to diversify the kind of students they accept. Hopefully our applications are good enough. Good luck!!!!

1 hour ago, Jay Little said:

I applied to the HCDE PhD Program and I was notified Friday that I was accepted! I'm super excited. 

Congratulations! That is so exciting!

12 hours ago, Bazinga! said:

I've applied to HCDE as well. But I'm freaking out how things are going to turn up! Exactly 1 month left for admits!!

Freaking out is the only thing we can do now haha. Do you have a back up plan?

On 2/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, ibsby98 said:

Freaking out is the only thing we can do now haha. Do you have a back up plan?

I wonder how holistically people at Udub look at each admission material. Answering to your question: I have applied to a couple of other schools as well!! Waiting for those.. Hope everything turns out good to all of us here!!  

12 hours ago, Bazinga! said:

I wonder how holistically people at Udub look at each admission material. Answering to your question: I have applied to a couple of other schools as well!! Waiting for those.. Hope everything turns out good to all of us here!!  

Same. One thing I've learned is at the end of the day, it really is pure fate. One could have the best admission material out there and get a professor having a bad day go through their stuff. I've accepted that. Doesn't make waiting any easier though lol

On 2/18/2019 at 9:20 PM, ibsby98 said:

Same. One thing I've learned is at the end of the day, it really is pure fate. One could have the best admission material out there and get a professor having a bad day go through their stuff. I've accepted that. Doesn't make waiting any easier though lol

True. 

On 2/9/2019 at 8:06 AM, Alexyc said:

Good luck!

(forgot to quote before)

I was just accepted to Ga Tech's MSHCI (ID track) program over the weekend. Pretty sure my internship experience compensated for my low gpa. I did a year internship with a major corporation, then a semester with another, bigger corporation.

Also had an interview with CMU last week. Anyone heard back or want to tell how your interview with them went?

Edited by produxtui

2 hours ago, produxtui said:

Also had an interview with CMU last week. Anyone heard back or want to tell how your interview with them went?

I had an interview with a CMU alumni last week and haven't heard back since then. It went OK - not horrible but it could've been a lot better. CMU is kind of a long shot for me, and I wasn't sure if I should get my hopes up with the interview invite because it sounds like they've been interviewing everyone...

How did yours go?