2011 IS IT!!!!

aem88

Okay, so this year was not a good year. I applied to 7 schools in Media Studies, got one interview (only one of the programs actually did interviews, not very common in my field), and ultimately 7 rejections. I'm looking for any and all advice on how to improve my app for next year. I'm optimistic about the program where I was interviewed as my POI was positive about my app, but said they simply did not have enough space and other candidates had a better fit with all the faculty members.

So I'm thinking I should contact the places where I intend to reapply. Does anyone else plan on doing that? When is the best time?

Here are my stats. Undergrad GPA: 3.97; MA GPA: 4.0. GRE: V-630 Q-570 A-5 (not good, I know, but I'm under the impression that it doesn't really matter in my field, but I'm willing to retake it), 2 conferences presentations (one at a major conference in my field), a writing sample that I was told by several professors was publishable, 2 excellent letters of rec (and one from a well-known professor that I'm not positive about because she runs hot and cold with people, but we always worked well together), multiple guest lectures, multiple scholarships/fellowships/grants, various internships/jobs in my filed and in higher education. I wrote multiple versions of my SOP and it was absolutely destroyed numerous times by one of my LOR writers, who was gracious enough to go over it with me on the phone until we got a final version.

So, I know that my SOP did not express fit well enough. My LOR advised me not to "name name's" as it might lead to resentment among committee members. I'm thinking that was a mistake now, and may have made me look like I lacked focus. I have been considering trying to get published through an online journal since I have no publications. I will probably retake the GRE. I'm currently unemployed, but I may get a job soon that would allow me to add more teaching experience or guest lectures. Also, I'm going to refine my program list, with more focus on faculty fit.

So those are a few of my thoughts about how to approach the coming year. I'm optimistic even though I spent the past month as the rejections came in crying and being generally mopey. My boyfriend deserves a metal for putting up with me. I've realized that this is what I want to do. I know I am capable of it. Now I just to get someone to say "YES!"

So, anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing? How are you coping? Are things starting to look up? I'm actually excited about it again. Looking forward to new prospects and all that. It took me a while to get here, but I'm glad I made it. Who's with me?!

aem98,

Sorry to hear about the rejections. Your profile seems outstanding compared to mine, and even though your GRE scores weren't quite up there, they're satisfactory in my opinion, and not the only thing looked at.

Anyways, the first step I would consider is contacting the institutions that rejected you and requesting the particulars of your rejection. This will at least give you an idea of where you can begin to improve.

I would also consider retaking the GRE. Also I'm not quite sure what your advisor said about "naming names," but if you researched the institution and found potential facutly to work with, I think your intent should be mentioned. They will want to try and pair faculty with applicants to make your transition into grad school that much more easier.

Also for 2011, maybe consider getting in contact with potential faculty and stating your intentions to apply to their institution and your interests. I'm not quite sure if you're applying for PhD or masters, so things may be different.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and I really hope that you accepted in 2011. Like I said, your profile seems outstanding and it's rather intriguing that you were rejected from all 7 institutions.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement about my application. I think a lot of it comes down to luck too, so I'm trying to just stay positive. I am going to consider taking the GRE again, it's been a few years, so hopefully if I study a whole lot I won't do any worse.

I'm applying for a PhD, I already have a MA in my field. I contacted a few people before I applied this year, but I definitely think I will make a stronger effort to make contacts at every program I apply to this time around.

Before I applied everyone I talked to who knew my academic history was without a doubt convinced that I would get into several if not all the places I applied to. I was hopeful, but not as optimistic as they were. I knew going in that funding was low, and the number of applicants was high. I'm just crossing my fingers that next year brings me better luck.

Thanks again.

You and I have the exact same story (I'm applying to Cinema Studies too at the same schools you did) except this is my third year trying and I applied to 15 schools this year! I'm still waiting to hear from Michigan.

Your stats and mine and very similar. I think the best advice would be to tighten up your SOP. I heard that is the true make or break factor for our field. I would name names. I called schools last year and the year before to inquire about rejections and they all told me to be specific and name names. I did this year and last and it didn't make a difference but needless to say I think my SOP was the strongest it's ever been...however it's obviously not effective.

I would try to get published and teach but really work on the SOP. That's what everyone is telling me.

You applied to a good range of schools so I don't think that's your problem. I think overall it is really competitive and maybe nothing was wrong with your app. I think you know the real reason you didn't get in: it's all about luck. I think you app is fine overall. Sure a good GRE score wouldn't hurt but really I think this whole Cinema Studies admissions thing is really a numbers game.

Wow, it's really great to hear from someone in the field. I contacted a letter writer the other day, and she seemed surprised that I did not get any acceptances. She's going over my statement of purpose now, so I'm already trying to get more feedback on that. I am convinced, like you, that this is largely about luck. But I really do want to continue in this field, so I'm just going to keep applying until I get lucky.

I think my statement was good, but weak in the fit area, so I can work on that. I'm not sure if I will apply to the same places this year. I am absolutely applying to Wisconsin again, because it's my top choice and I was very close to getting in this year.

I've taught before, guest lectures and TAing. That may be an option this year, but I think I'll work on trying to get published since I have no publications. I was thinking about trying to get into FLOW.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I hope that you get acceptances this year. It's wonderful to hear from someone that just kept trying, because I think this is a really discouraging process, but if we really want it we can't give up. Good luck!

My field is very different - but my story was similar. Applied to four schools, rejected from all... ramping up for the next round of applications without missing a beat! Well, apart from those first few days/weeks wallowing in self-pity, but I think we earned them after the roller coaster of apprehension that is the application process. And like your boyfriend, my fiance deserves a metal for not just putting up with me the whole time - but actually remaining supportive and optimistic, even once all the rejections came in.

From what I've read throughout this site, I think SOP and LORs are extremely important. So I suggest you definitely try to get LORs you feel confident about and you're sure could best write to your strengths (sounds like you have on thats questionable). Same for your SOP - I don't see anything against mentioning professors names. Not for the purpose of name dropping - but to display how your interests lie specifically within ongoing research and opportunities of the program you're applying to. The advice I was given was to make sure schools know you want to be at their school, and their program... and that you're not just sending out a blanket application from a student-for-life. And I think getting more ongoing experience related to your field will help all of these aspects of your application.

For my own app - I'm looking to tighten up my SOP as well, and am looking to get some real-world research experience before applications are due (most of my experience has been soley academic). I'm also planning on reaching out to POIs at each program to work on making better connections and more relevant information that I can use to strengthen my SOP and hopefully increase my chances when it goes ebfore the admissions committee.

I shed my tears and sucked it up. I'm actually really proud - I ended up practically doubling my running mileage during the period in which the rejections came in!

Then I contacted the departments I was rejected from, and asked them (hopefully without sounding too desperate or emo) what I could have done better. The answer was the same from all: earn an MA and do really, really well. So, low and behold, I found an MA program in my city and met with the person I'd most like to work with, who said he would write me a LOR for that department. The application is due Thursday, and I have everything in and have been sending my SOP to anyone willing to read it to tear apart. I also contacted another colleague of mine who supervises a project that I could participate in and potentially craft a thesis topic out of that is parallel to what this professor at the MA program does. So my SOP says essentially, "HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A RELEVANT PROJECT!"

So, my plan is, get into this MA program and kick major ass, take names, run a marathon and try my luck for the PhD in 2012. Best part about this MA, it's dirt cheap, instate tuition with opportunities for work-study, and the grad courses are in the evening, so I could work and go to school and not owe the government a house. Yay.

And here are some cheesey quotes that help me get through the day: It look Babe Ruth over 1,300 strike-outs to achieve his 716 (correct me if I'm wrong) homers! And Thomas Jefferson said that he believed in luck, the harder he worked, the more of it he found.

Best of luck everyone!

I shed my tears and sucked it up. I'm actually really proud - I ended up practically doubling my running mileage during the period in which the rejections came in!

Then I contacted the departments I was rejected from, and asked them (hopefully without sounding too desperate or emo) what I could have done better. The answer was the same from all: earn an MA and do really, really well. So, low and behold, I found an MA program in my city and met with the person I'd most like to work with, who said he would write me a LOR for that department. The application is due Thursday, and I have everything in and have been sending my SOP to anyone willing to read it to tear apart. I also contacted another colleague of mine who supervises a project that I could participate in and potentially craft a thesis topic out of that is parallel to what this professor at the MA program does. So my SOP says essentially, "HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A RELEVANT PROJECT!"

So, my plan is, get into this MA program and kick major ass, take names, run a marathon and try my luck for the PhD in 2012. Best part about this MA, it's dirt cheap, instate tuition with opportunities for work-study, and the grad courses are in the evening, so I could work and go to school and not owe the government a house. Yay.

And here are some cheesey quotes that help me get through the day: It look Babe Ruth over 1,300 strike-outs to achieve his 716 (correct me if I'm wrong) homers! And Thomas Jefferson said that he believed in luck, the harder he worked, the more of it he found.

Best of luck everyone!

hehe, I'll throw in the cheesey quote that I've been reciting like a mantra:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, 'press on' has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race." -Calvin Coolidge

Geez, you are all very awesome with your persistence. I too spent a few days/weeks crying and feeling sorry for myself. I was extra hard to deal with because I've been looking for a job during the whole of the admissions process and got just as many rejections on that front. But now I have two job interviews lined up that I'm optimistic about, and we're looking for a new apartment (which is exciting for me because I've always had to start renting sight unseen because I move around so much), AND I already feel like because of various issues concerning my partner finishing his MA, that waiting one more year might be better in the long run.

Anyway, I'm absolutely going to work on my SOP like a crazy person, and try to build some connections.

I can't help but feel like everything will work out if we just keep on trying.

aem88,

Good luck, be proud of your achievements, and have it reflect in your SOP. Try to make your SOPs distinct for each university if possible. I know this is time consuming, but I believe it will pay off.

Also someone else mentioned strong LORs.

Strong LORs are important. For example your LOR may read that you're in the top 10% of your class, but some PhD committee members can be superficial at times and claim it's not enough to be in the top 10%, you must be in the top 1-2%. I think this happens a lot more in the field of science.

Apart from that, I think you've got the whole gamut of suggestions which are all of relevance.

Good luck, wish you the best, I hope to hear from you next year with how you're having a nervous breakdown selecting from the many institutions that accepted you :).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hehe, I'll throw in the cheesey quote that I've been reciting like a mantra:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, 'press on' has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race." -Calvin Coolidge

Wow, I LOVE that quote! I'll add it to my mantras as well!

• 2 weeks later...