Full Funding (GW) v No Funding (Georgetown)

sypher2k3

I've wanted to go to Georgetown SSP since I began the application process, and I was accepted to both Georgetown SSP and GW Elliott Security Policy Studies. GW, also a great school, offered full funding on tuition, and Georgetown has yet to offer any money.

If Georgetown offers nothing, what would the best course of action be?

I've wanted to go to Georgetown SSP since I began the application process, and I was accepted to both Georgetown SSP and GW Elliott Security Policy Studies. GW, also a great school, offered full funding on tuition, and Georgetown has yet to offer any money.

If Georgetown offers nothing, what would the best course of action be?

This is an absolute no-brainer. Go with the funding.

I got one of my degrees at GW and I can say the amount of networking there is INSANE. I don't doubt that Georgetown excels as well, but I've gotten several degrees at different universities and GW was hands down the most impressive as far as being connected, finding jobs, etc.

Just if that helps you feel better about "having" to choose GW for the full ride. :)

I cannot imagine too many situations where no funding beats full funding. Partial funding? Mayyyybe. But no debt versus hella debt?!!! And aren't they in the same hemisphere? Can't you go to the free one and drive by the expensive one from time to time? Attend a conference? Use the bathrooms and steal some coffee like you go there?

Almost no one suggests paying for graduate school if you have the option.

Unless you think that going to Georgetown would provide significantly more opportunities for better employment upon graduation I think GW would be a good choice. They are both great schools, Georgetown does the the better overall reputation but if it wouldn't make a ton of difference when it comes to jobs then it's easy to go with the money.

The funding, the funding, the funding. You will be able to concentrate on your studies instead of stressing about the money ... and the money will be an overwhelming stress by the time you're done.

You could try to tell Georgetown that you have a full ride, but I wouldn't be surprised if they advised you to go to GW!

And look on the bright side. Very, very few people get full funding offers anywhere, so you've clearly done something right.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar boat and decided that a it's a question of is the masters 5x better than the one at GW, which is what the cost difference would be. I realized it is only slightly better, but certainly not 5x better. If you pick GW, I will be seeing you around the halls next year!

My best friend faced the same situation last year with law school. GWU offered her $100K over three years and Georgetown offered her little if anything. She chose Georgetown because GWU wasn't good enough in her opinion and now she regrets her decision. She's bogged down with homework and stress on top of knowing that she'll be deep in debt when she graduates.

I agree that you should go with the funding. Georgetown may have a better reputation but GWU will still offer you a great education and you can say that you were a full-scholarship recipient. If you can see yourself happy at GWU, why not go there?

I got my undergrad degree from Elliott School. Loved it. Grad Program is run by Amb. Inderfurth who is an awesome guy and I was lucky enough to take a class with him. Grad School is highly regarded, Gtown is better but in terms of grad school the difference between the two isn't as much as it is for undergrad.