Canadian Political Science Application Thread 2018-2019

1 hour ago, Irish.Coffee said:

Hi all,

for UofT applicants, the department is in the process of reviewing applications at the moment. 

I’m a phd student at uoft if you have questions. 

Hi! I appreciate the input. can you talk a little about the department culture and environment?

- how do students and profs treat each other? 

- what do you think of the stipend? do you need to start TA/RAing from year one?

- are there special funds for research/fieldwork?

Does anyone know if McGill organizes recruitment events like prospective student visits like most US schools? I'm still waiting on my official offer letter and wanted to know if I should go ahead and start working on getting a tourist visa to Canada ??

7 hours ago, Irish.Coffee said:

Hi all,

for UofT applicants, the department is in the process of reviewing applications at the moment. 

I’m a phd student at uoft if you have questions. 

Thank you for your help! I want to know approximately how many PhD students they take every year? And whether there's any balance in consideration of specification( IR, theory, comparative?) 

I emailed the UofT coordinator asking about an estimate for when I should expect an answer. This is what he said, hope it helps:

I believe the first set of PhD offers are supposed to go out soon – I believe as early as today, but more than likely either Mondayor Tuesday of next week.  Note that it is a rolling process – we send out offers, and if any of them are turned down, we then move to the next person on the list.  It’s ongoing until all the spots are filled – so if you don’t receive an offer in the first set, it doesn’t necessarily mean you will not be receiving at offer at all.”

15 minutes ago, brownie_z said:

I emailed the UofT coordinator asking about an estimate for when I should expect an answer. This is what he said, hope it helps:

I believe the first set of PhD offers are supposed to go out soon – I believe as early as today, but more than likely either Mondayor Tuesday of next week.  Note that it is a rolling process – we send out offers, and if any of them are turned down, we then move to the next person on the list.  It’s ongoing until all the spots are filled – so if you don’t receive an offer in the first set, it doesn’t necessarily mean you will not be receiving at offer at all.”

Oh ffs lol

3 minutes ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

Oh ffs lol

Does this mean i will have to be waiting on the edge until all spots are filled? Ugh! It seems that they’re using an ongoing ranked waitlist or something ??‍♀️ 

3 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Got an informal e-mail from Carolynn Branton that I've been accepted to U of T! Funding/official offer to come next week. Good luck, friends!

I'd give you a heart but I'm out of reactions for the day!! That's so exciting! Congrats!!

7 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Got an informal e-mail from Carolynn Branton that I've been accepted to U of T! Funding/official offer to come next week. Good luck, friends!

Congrats! Will you accept the offer or are you waiting for funding info? 

3 hours ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Congratulations! Are you domestic or international student?

Has anyone received a funding offer from McGill? I just did earlier today and basically don't know how to interpret it. For Canadians on this thread, are there online resources you think faithfully convey cost of living in Montréal? It would be very helpful in comparing my other US offer to see which is actually more, rather than comparing figures only. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, brownie_z said:

Has anyone received a funding offer from McGill? I just did earlier today and basically don't know how to interpret it. For Canadians on this thread, are there online resources you think faithfully convey cost of living in Montréal? It would be very helpful in comparing my other US offer to see which is actually more, rather than comparing figures only. 

Thank you!

As far as online sources are concerned I'm not sure, but I can tell you that the cost of living in Montreal is WAY cheaper than most comparably sized North American cities. I know this is anecdotal but a good friend of mine lives in a nice one-bedroom probably 3 metro stops from McGill and pays $750/month (Canadian, ~$550 US). That is probably cheaper than most you'll find but honestly not by much. Transit is also reasonably cheap in Montreal and is very reliable.

Quebec has VERY high taxes though (scholarships aren't taxed in Canada though), sales tax is like 18%. Generally speaking though, Montreal is by a large margin the most affordable major city in Canada. It's also a wonderful, incredibly fun city with A+ food.

1 hour ago, brownie_z said:

Thank you!

Can also anecdotally confirm @DefeatistElitist's post. Montreal is the most affordable city (also a wonderful city to spend a few years in too, FWIW). I have friends paying $800-900 Canadian for a 1 1/2 bedroom that's fairly central. It's also worth looking at how much you'll pay in taxes if you're an international student - I know Canadians studying in the US get dinged, so that may or may not be a factor for you as well.

11 hours ago, juliakate said:

Hey has anybody heard or knows anything about when UBC is going to send out it’s MA decisions? I have two offers that need responses by March 12 and UBC is my first choice so I’m dying a little bit ?

Don't know if it helps but people need to respond to their Ph.D. offer by March 15. You may want to send them an email directly. They are very nice.