UCL and the Mphil stud

Carneadiss

Hi Guys,

I just got accepted for the MPhil Stud at UCL. This is terribly exciting news of course, but, as I am generally unfamiliar with UK academic scene, I was wondering what your opinion is of the quality of the MPhil program or the philosophy faculty at UCL? How does it compare to other faculties/programs?

• 2 weeks later...

i've been admitted to MPhilStud at UCL as well! have you made your final decision? I find it hard to choose (the other offer i got is from St. Andrews) as i really don't know about British departments and the atmosphere there. i am now in a department where the students are quite active, so there are a lot of workshops, reading groups, etc. really hope to do the Master  in someplace one can learn from the peers.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, Carneadiss said:

Hi Guys,

I just got accepted for the MPhil Stud at UCL. This is terribly exciting news of course, but, as I am generally unfamiliar with UK academic scene, I was wondering what your opinion is of the quality of the MPhil program or the philosophy faculty at UCL? How does it compare to other faculties/programs?

Just wondering.., is there fundjng? 

I got an MA at UCL and had an offer to go back for the MPhil Stud but did not receive funding. I gained a very favorable opinion of the faculty at UCL while I was there. Mark Kalderon and Mike Martin are doing really cool research in the philosophy of perception. Also, Lucy O'Brien is a very good philosopher of action. Doug Lavin is also interesting for metaethics and action. Snowdon was my other favorite there. He's no longer on faculty but he may still teach 'modules' from time to time; you might want to look into that because he's really awesome both as a philosopher and as a human being. And London was an amazing place to live for a year, but very expensive. Congratulations on your offer! My understanding is that if you complete the MPhil Stud in good standing you are automatically allowed to progress to the PhD. You have to apply, but the application is more-or-less a formality. That is what I was told when I was considering the program, though perhaps it has changed. That said, UCL's faculty are somewhat limited in their research areas from my point of view. Gardner is great for continental stuff but as far as I'm aware there are very limited opportunities to study medieval (a problem for me, though it would likely not bother others). Leigh is good for Ancient, but she was the only person doing ancient while I was there. 

2 hours ago, Needle in the Hay said:

Bear in mind also that if you are not funded by UCL you can apply for central funding through the AHRC. 

How do you go about doing that? Is there a separate application?

8 hours ago, Scoots said:

I don't know because I never tried. I'm sure there's info online. Otherwise, you might consider contacting Richard Edwards, a very helpful admin in the philosophy dept at UCL.

15 hours ago, Scoots said:

AHRC normally only funds PhD students, and sometimes but very rarely 2nd year MPhils. The AHRC funding is 3 years so if you get it while still in the MPhil you basically commit to doing your PhD at UCL as well. In any case, you already need to be in the department to apply. More info here https://www.lahp.ac.uk/apply-for-studentship-2019-20/

18 hours ago, Needle in the Hay said:

I got an MA at UCL and had an offer to go back for the MPhil Stud but did not receive funding. I gained a very favorable opinion of the faculty at UCL while I was there. Mark Kalderon and Mike Martin are doing really cool research in the philosophy of perception. Also, Lucy O'Brien is a very good philosopher of action. Doug Lavin is also interesting for metaethics and action. Snowdon was my other favorite there. He's no longer on faculty but he may still teach 'modules' from time to time; you might want to look into that because he's really awesome both as a philosopher and as a human being. And London was an amazing place to live for a year, but very expensive. Congratulations on your offer! My understanding is that if you complete the MPhil Stud in good standing you are automatically allowed to progress to the PhD. You have to apply, but the application is more-or-less a formality. That is what I was told when I was considering the program, though perhaps it has changed. That said, UCL's faculty are somewhat limited in their research areas from my point of view. Gardner is great for continental stuff but as far as I'm aware there are very limited opportunities to study medieval (a problem for me, though it would likely not bother others). Leigh is good for Ancient, but she was the only person doing ancient while I was there. 

Mike Martin and Paul Snowdon aren't around anymore. I've been in the department since 2013 and I'm pretty sure Snowdon hasn't been teaching for several years.

An updated faculty list is here https://www.ucl.ac.uk/philosophy/people/permanent-academic-staff

Edited by practically_mi

5 hours ago, practically_mi said:

AHRC normally only funds PhD students, and sometimes but very rarely 2nd year MPhils. The AHRC funding is 3 years so if you get it while still in the MPhil you basically commit to doing your PhD at UCL as well. In any case, you already need to be in the department to apply. More info here https://www.lahp.ac.uk/apply-for-studentship-2019-20/

5 hours ago, practically_mi said:

Mike Martin and Paul Snowdon aren't around anymore. I've been in the department since 2013 and I'm pretty sure Snowdon hasn't been teaching for several years.

An updated faculty list is here https://www.ucl.ac.uk/philosophy/people/permanent-academic-staff

Thanks for the corrections and sorry for any confusion I caused!

Hi everyone,

I'm also holding an offer for the MPhil at UCL (also for the MA), but I got an offer from St. Andrews too. I've been spending a lot of time in forums trying to decide but it's very hard to find info from St. Andrews' students. My intention it's to get into a PhD, and although the MPhil will practically guarantee my acceptance to de PhD at UCL, also the MLitt at Andrews will allow me to move to their PhD (but it seems that this is not as easy as moving from the master to de PhD at UCL).

Which one do you think that will allow me to get into a more prestigious PhD? 

Thanks a lot. 

1 hour ago, alanvgo said:

Hi everyone,

I'm also holding an offer for the MPhil at UCL (also for the MA), but I got an offer from St. Andrews too. I've been spending a lot of time in forums trying to decide but it's very hard to find info from St. Andrews' students. My intention it's to get into a PhD, and although the MPhil will practically guarantee my acceptance to de PhD at UCL, also the MLitt at Andrews will allow me to move to their PhD (but it seems that this is not as easy as moving from the master to de PhD at UCL).

Which one do you think that will allow me to get into a more prestigious PhD? 

Thanks a lot. 

In a slightly similar situation as you are, I think, holding a MPhil offer for SASP and a MLitt offer for KCL. Maybe sent me a PM for SASP, I've got friends studying there right now? 

As far as I've been told, getting into the SASP PhD with a good 2.1 in any respectable philosophy master is easy. What is hard is getting funding - and that shouldn't be too different for other universities either I think. 

I'm currently holding an offer for the UCL Mphil and the LSE MSc Political Theory. I feel that the Mphil is definitely the better option, but I was wondering if maybe you guys have a different opinion on this.

Edited by Carneadiss