Anyone willing to take a look at my SOP

MaterialistRomantic

Just got off the phone with my old PI and she didn’t have kind words to say about my SOP. I based it off of a PhD friend of mines SOP, so I thought I had a solid foundation to build off of, but she suggested I completely rewrite it. I wanted some more opinions on it before I submit it to back up masters programs. If anyone has the time or interest, Please dm me! I’m happy to swap SOP’s as well and provide critiques.

i will also write you a poem if that incentivizes this further lol

I wrote a SOP that two grad students at elite phd programs said was exceptional. My letter writer read it and thought it was complete trash conceptually and wanted me to rewrite it completely. He was at a loss for words for how bad it was, and had almost no feedback to offer because it didnt fit his prototype of what a SOP should be. He nonetheless wrote a strong letter about how great I was as an employee/researcher.

Still got invited to interview at great programs, and other faculty members thought I wrote extremely well -- that my SOP 'cLeArLy sToOd oUt' and that my prose 'JuMpeD aT thEm'

My point is that not all people will agree with whether a SOP is good. It can still be good. Just in a different way.

Edited by 41l1!I2

7 hours ago, MaterialistRomantic said:

Just got off the phone with my old PI and she didn’t have kind words to say about my SOP. I based it off of a PhD friend of mines SOP, so I thought I had a solid foundation to build off of, but she suggested I completely rewrite it. I wanted some more opinions on it before I submit it to back up masters programs. If anyone has the time or interest, Please dm me! I’m happy to swap SOP’s as well and provide critiques.

I would be glad to trade SOPs

7 hours ago, MaterialistRomantic said:

I’m traveling all day to an interview weekend. (Literally, 3 flights and 12 hours.) I will take a look in exchange for a poem!