Does a longer wait mean that you are on the waitlist?

Hey all!

I am still waiting for the decisions from some universities like Michigan State and Purdue where I applied for master's in Biomedical Engineering. I applied to them way back in October and the status of my application has been the same ever since. Why are they taking so much time???

1 hour ago, Anxiously Hopeful said:

Hey all!

I am still waiting for the decisions from some universities like Michigan State and Purdue where I applied for master's in Biomedical Engineering. I applied to them way back in October and the status of my application has been the same ever since. Why are they taking so much time???

I am too waiting from UAB and have not heard since the submission in November. In my opinion, the long wait means rejection. Otherwise, they would notify about being waitlisted and would ask about willingness to remain on the list.

Have you checked the results section?

44 minutes ago, Izakawa said:

I am too waiting from UAB and have not heard since the submission in November. In my opinion, the long wait means rejection. Otherwise, they would notify about being waitlisted and would ask about willingness to remain on the list.

Have you checked the results section?

Yes, I have checked the results section and I saw a post regarding rejection from Purdue for the masters BME program.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, Dwar said:

Sometimes schools have unofficial waitlists that they use incase their first round acceptances reject them. I suggest you reach out to the admissions team and ask if there is any update on your application. They may be able to tell you more. 

Is it better to contact the admissions office or the department (and if the department, then the staff/secretary or the grad coordinator/director)?

22 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

Is it better to contact the admissions office or the department (and if the department, then the staff/secretary or the grad coordinator/director)?

From my experience you can contact either the DGS or the Grad Coordinator. Sometimes the Grad Coordinator will simply put you in touch with the DGS or may even forward along your message. But other times they are able to answer the question themselves. So really whoever you feel more comfortable contacting, I don't really think it matters as long as your email is respectful and all.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:40 AM, Anxiously Hopeful said:

Hey all!

Universities aren't always ready to commit to a relationship and like to keep their options open.