Negotiating Stipends/varied amounts within cohort

Soca4434

For those of us that were lucky enough to have more than one offer... Has anyone received any info on, or had any success in acquiring more funding than originally offered? I have had mixed advice so far, with some previous professors saying its the norm to negotiate & others saying not even to try.... I don't want to come off as looking bad to the school, but also don't want to miss out on any additional funding just by not asking.

Also, does anyone have any info on the wide range in stipends being reported within a program on PhD Stipends? Some of these amounts are drastically different than amounts i was offered at the same institution.

Thanks

Edited by Soca4434

When I was deciding between two universities a few years ago, the one university told me they could look into matching the funding offer of the other. But I had already decided I preferred the other university that was offering me more $$ so I didn't pursue this. It doesn't hurt to ask at all: tell them you are considering fit but also cost of living and ability to focus on your research and the financial resources needed, and you are wondering if they are able to match what another university offered you.

I have had several universities that increased my offer once they became aware I got offers from other places. Often, programs know what the base stipends for other universities are.

Some universities, especially in the top 10, are not as willing to change offers once they are decided. They value having the same/similar offers across the cohort and also know that their offer is more valuable than others you may have received. However, even in light of this, I believe it's always worth trying, especially as a low income student like myself. Leverage your identity. They may (likely) say no, but they will still understand. 

Word of advice-- don't pursue changing your offer unless that change would GUARANTEE  you attend that university. 

Everyone I've spoken to has said to go for it [ask for more funding]...As long as you are asking for something you would really need in order for X university to be a feasible option for you, it can't hurt to ask. That being said, I haven't tried to ask yet lol.

Also, if anyone wants to talk compare funding packages for schools, hmu. I want to make sure I'm not getting gypped here and am finding Ph.D. stipends reports to vary widely as well. I'd be particularly interested in comparing Michigan funding packages if anyone is down, but I'd be more than happy to share my funding info for the other programs I received offers from should anyone want to use it to compare with their offers.

6 hours ago, jriveracal said:

Everyone I've spoken to has said to go for it [ask for more funding]...As long as you are asking for something you would really need in order for X university to be a feasible option for you, it can't hurt to ask. That being said, I haven't tried to ask yet lol.

Also, if anyone wants to talk compare funding packages for schools, hmu. I want to make sure I'm not getting gypped here and am finding Ph.D. stipends reports to vary widely as well. I'd be particularly interested in comparing Michigan funding packages if anyone is down, but I'd be more than happy to share my funding info for the other programs I received offers from should anyone want to use it to compare with their offers.

I've heard that with its prominent grad student union, Michigan offers all its students the same package. I can't confirm this for certain, though, because I'm definitely too terrified to have even asked (the voice of paranoia in my head is convinced they'll rescind my admission lol)

5 hours ago, sociopolitic said:

I've heard that with its prominent grad student union, Michigan offers all its students the same package. I can't confirm this for certain, though, because I'm definitely too terrified to have even asked (the voice of paranoia in my head is convinced they'll rescind my admission lol)

Same. lol. I saw on Ph.D. stipends that Michigan's all look similar, but do vary sliiiiightly. Want to compare funding packages? If so, message me.

17 hours ago, Soca4434 said:

Who would you reach out to specifically? For the school i am considering I have only heard from POI's and the grad coordinator. Would it be the grad coordinator, director of grad studies, or the chair of the dept?

My understanding is that it should be the chair of the Graduate Admissions Committee - at least this is the case at the places I've been admitted to. 

Also I know scjobfrms is notorious for trolling and therefore cant be entirely trusted but this thread did provide me some insight on the issue of tiered/equal funding and the process of negotiating.

https://www.socjobrumors.com/topic/tiered-funding-vs-equal-funding/page/2 

They  suggest that differences in funding (even at unionised places like Michigan) come from fellowships/TA/RA funding mechanisms, which I tend to believe. Keen to hear people's thoughts on it. 

• 1 month later...