low undergrad GPA worth applying?

SpeechNerd

Hi all, I have a pretty low undergrad GPA of about 3.3 in communication disorders but want to get into a masters for SLP somewhere. I have yet to take the GRE but most likely won't be doing too stellar on that either. I will be taking a gap year and then applying for the Fall 2020 cohort at schools. I have a lot of experience with a lot of observation/shadowing hours, being a paraprofessional, a direct care professional, and volunteering abroad. I'm wondering if I even have a chance of getting into any schools with this low GPA? Also willing to go anywhere for grad school so if you know anywhere that accepts lower GPAs let me know!

Edited by SpeechNerd

If you crush the GRE, you shouldn't have to worry about you"low" GPA. Also, look into what the average accepted gpa is. If it's around, say, a 3.5 then you know they must admit below that in many cases.

I thought I didn't have a chance with my gpa (3.27), but have been accepted to the 1st and 2nd schools in my field, so there's that!

On 3/4/2019 at 3:40 PM, SpeechNerd said:

Hi all, I have a pretty low undergrad GPA of about 3.3 in communication disorders but want to get into a masters for SLP somewhere. I have yet to take the GRE but most likely won't be doing too stellar on that either. I will be taking a gap year and then applying for the Fall 2020 cohort at schools. I have a lot of experience with a lot of observation/shadowing hours, being a paraprofessional, a direct care professional, and volunteering abroad. I'm wondering if I even have a chance of getting into any schools with this low GPA? Also willing to go anywhere for grad school so if you know anywhere that accepts lower GPAs let me know!

Hey! I'm currently waiting on decisions from some Universities. I'm from NYC and I also have a 3.3 GPA, GRE V:150 Q151W:4.0, I was told that is was a low score but I still used it to apply. I have volunteer experience and work experience in preschools and in a rehabilitation center,  I'm also pursuing the bilingual track. I got accepted to the University of Texas  at El Paso recently, getting into grad school with a low GPA & GRE can be done! Don't let people scare you, be confident in your abilities and what you have to offer. No matter what happens, you will lead a full and happy life! best of luck to you 

Hi. I definitely know it’s possible, so don’t give up hope. I got into Harvard for an Ed.M. with a 3.3 undergrad gpa and 3.3 grad GPA. My GRE was Verbal: 167 (98th percentile), Quant: 160 (74th), and Writing: 5.5 (98th). A lot of times it also depends on various factors of the specific program you’re applying to.

If the schools you’re applying to look at things holistically, which I think most would do, then you could make up for your GPA by making the other areas of your application stand out, like your letters of recommendation and statement of purpose. And you can try to explain your lower GPA without making it too much of an excuse.