Pacific University current grad students

Hi guys,

I was recently waitlisted at Pacific University in tier 1 and it is one of my top choices. I just had a couple questions regarding some stuff since i wasn't able to go in person.

- Is the university affiliated with any hospitals in socal? and is it easy to find a rotation in another state if your not from Oregon?

- Also how is funding like? are you able to get federal loans to cover everything? or did most people take out private loans? 

21 hours ago, 01541001 said:

Hi guys,

I was recently waitlisted at Pacific University in tier 1 and it is one of my top choices. I just had a couple questions regarding some stuff since i wasn't able to go in person.

- Is the university affiliated with any hospitals in socal? and is it easy to find a rotation in another state if your not from Oregon?

- Also how is funding like? are you able to get federal loans to cover everything? or did most people take out private loans? 

I interviewed at Pacific a couple weeks ago. The faculty spent a lot of time describing the program structure for us, and we had plenty of opportunity to ask the current students questions. You will mainly be working with community partners around the area (Portland, Hillsboro, and some even in Salem) for the first year and a half. During your last semester you can go anywhere in the country for your externship. They even have students in Hawaii! SoCal would be pretty attainable, I'm sure. 

I am not super sure about funding, but the students I talked to all had varying levels of support from different places. I'm sure you can call the office and ask, if it comes to it. Diana is very friendly.

Good luck! I hear they go pretty deep in their waitlist. :)

On 3/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, 01541001 said:

Hi guys,

- for externship in your second spring semester you can go anywhere in the US. They do have some previously established partnerships in CA but I am not sure what exactly. I am from San Diego but have decided to stay in OR for externship. If you decide to go back to SoCal I’m sure there will be more than enough opportunities and MANY people go back to their states so it is absolutely not a problem. 

- federal loans cover everything under the GradPLUS loan. It is a lot though. First year I’m already $60K deep. So it is definitely something to consider when making your decision. However, if you’re looking to go anywhere out of state the cost is very comparable and sometimes even cheaper than other programs. 

Edited by andreadls22