Do online programs typically ask to interview?

lynnle1994

I've applied to a couple Forensic Psyc Masters Programs and am currently waiting for responses. Does anyone know if online programs typically ask to interview? My first choice is UCI so any information on their Master of Legal and Forensic Psychology would be awesome. 

Online programs usually don't, but if they do, it would most likely be online as well.

As someone who has an MA in forensic psych, I would caution it's probably very difficult to get much research experience via an online program. If you don't mind me asking, what's your end goal/motivation for getting this masters?

Career advancement, but also an opportunity to apply to a clinical PhD program in Forensic Psyc in the future. There was no way I would get into a PhD program with how I did as an undergrad so I went ahead and found work and research experience with a clinical psychologist in the behavioral psyc field after completing my BA. My letters of rec are outstanding and so is my CV, but my grades during undergrad is what I'm scared will hold me back. Thank you for answering btw! :) 

If you want to apply to a forensic oriented PhD in the future, I would definitely recommend you seek out an on-site forensic psych masters if possible, especially one that has a thesis option (a quick look at the UCI website says that you do a capstone instead of an empirical thesis, which is a little bit of an orange (not quite red) flag). Forensic psych is a very small world, and if you have research experience in the forensic psych field with known researchers, that will go a long way into getting into quality programs. 

Current circumstances would make it hard for me to attend an on-site program, that was definitely my first choice, and there are no on-site programs near where I am currently living considering the field is still pretty small. Do you think waiting until i am able to attend an on-site to accumulate research experience/ make connection would be extremely impactful? I was hoping for a Masters degree to begin a career in that field (and also something to alleviate my undergrad grades) and eventually get into a place where I would be considered for a PhD/PsyD program. 

It's definitely a tough call. You could see if you could still get some sort of research at UCI and at least get a poster or something because research products (conference posters and talks and pubs) are some of the most crucial aspects of applications for PhD and reputable PsyD programs. I guess it would all depend on if there were potential research opportunities through UCI and how long it would be before you could have the opportunity to pursue an in-person program. 

I wanted to second the advice about online vs. in-person programs. I’ve heard that many programs look down on online degrees (whether or not it’s deserved) and that MA program might actually hurt your chances for a PhD. Are there any other nearby MA programs in psychology? You might be able to do research that’s relevant and applicable to your interests even if not specifically forensic.

Thank you for the advice! I've thought about a lot of different options, and I think this will work out best for me. The programs I've looked into, regardless of it being online have opportunities for research with the faculty so I'm hoping everything will work out in the long run.