Offer Choice: Tufts MA or Cambridge MPhil?

messigoat

Hi everyone! I applied for master programs in philosophy this year. I was turned down by Oxford BPhil, but I got Cambridge MPhil (in philosophy, not HPS) and Tufts MA. It is a tough choice. I think both have some advantages. Tufts has an extraordinary PhD placement record,  and I heard that it has very good connections within the U.S. It is a two-ear program so more substantial. Also, I guess that since Tufts only has MA students, so one would get more attention there. However, I doubt that it is mainly designed for something without a solid undergraduate background in philosophy. It looks like an advanced taught introduction to analytic philosophy and is less research-oriented. (I wouldn't say that my background is perfectly solid, but I have taken about 16 courses in the philosophy department.)

As for Cambridge, I think that the first advantage is prestige: at any rate, Cambridge is Cambridge. Another advantage is that it is a research degree so I could focus on research and better develop my research capacity. There are several faculties that I aspire to work with, like Richard Holton, Rae Langton, and Angela Breitenbach. However, I am not sure about its placement record, which is not on its website. I think I have to email them to get an answer. It also has no taught element, although MPhil students are encouraged to attend the lectures. 

What do you guys think? Hope to hear from you, thanks!

Edited by messigoat

3 minutes ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

I have no comments on your choice, and I wish you the best of luck, but I do want to say that if 16 courses isn't a very solid background then I don't know what is.

Thank you for your reply! I understand that 16 courses is really a lot. I said that mainly because I haven't taken metaphysics/epistemology/phil of language, which I guess are very important, and I only had an introductory logic course.

16 minutes ago, messigoat said:

Thank you for your reply! I understand that 16 courses is really a lot. I said that mainly because I haven't taken metaphysics/epistemology/phil of language, which I guess are very important, and I only had an introductory logic course.

You didn’t take metaphysic or epistemology?? Hmm those are somewhat important.. but obviously you’re good enough to make it to these top schools. So, I’m sure you’d be fine 

Honestly, both choices are great. But, if money isn’t a thing you should choose tufts. But, I’d go where you’d pay the least. 

Edited by Moose#@1%$
Adding

Just now, Moose#@1%$ said:

You didn’t take metaphysic or epistemology?? Hmm those are somewhat important..

Honestly, both choices are great. But, if money isn’t a thing you should choose tufts. But, I’d go where you’d pay the least. 

Yeah quite unfortunate. I was planning to take them during my senior year but they were not offered then. I must take them in the graduate school.

I know someone who went through the cam mphil, and the difference between Cambridge and tufts seems clear to me. Cam is a very short, one year program, which means there's little time for you to fully explore your interests, and you only complete three essays (cannot recall well) during it. People there seem to go straight into their research topic almost from the beginning. So not bad if you already have something in mind and really want to work it out with some professors there.

Tufts is a two year program, where you do 12 graduate-level courses (woww), and probably also some TA work. Just think of it as the first two years of a US PhD program. I do understand if you don't want to take a wide range of things again, but I suspect no M&E will do little benefit to your later PhD applications to US schools. This is less an issue for UK PhDs though.

The faculty at Cambridge is great. But I still  recommend Tufts. Cam Mphil is too short. You have to apply for PhD programs at the very beggining of the first semester. So you won't have enough time to polish your writing sample and get familiar with professors (even your own supervisor) so that they can write strong LORs for you . Therefore, Cam Mphil won't be very helpful to your PhD application. But if you've already decided to apply for PhD after you finish the one year mphil course, then I would say Cam is a great choice for you. Many cam mphil students end up doing this.

I also doubt that Cambridge has a higher presitge. Tufts is Tufts.

I think it's important to remember here the advice that has constantly been given on this forum: Departments have reputation and Institutional prestige does not extend itself to programs. There are a lot of "lesser-known" schools that are incredibly respected within fields. Before making any decision, I would heavily consider the amount of debt either would put you in and the amount of time it would take to repay those debts.

• 4 years later...