Reputation of institutions for ASHA pre-requisites

Does the reputation of the institution where we we take our ASHA pre-requisites matter?  Are we expected to list the name of the university/community college on our resume/linked in profile or could it come up in interviews?

I am looking at institutions which are definitely not the best (University of Phoenix for example has a controversial reputation but offers flexibility with their 5 week courses, monthly offerings and no online lectures which is hard to find elsewhere). However, it fits my current schedule and works for me to meet the ASHA requirements.

I also wonder if some less reputable institutions will transfer credits if we ever pursued another degree.

I am torn between choosing the cheapest/ easiest option with what works best professionally in the long term.  Please let me know your thoughts if you have an opinion on this.

Edited by Bookworm111

Are you referring to the four ASHA science courses? If so, I think as long as its a legitimate academic institution, grad programs aren't that critical about which one. I took two of my pre-reqs at community colleges and got into a top 10 program. You are expected to list the university name and grades on you application and provide transcripts. Unless you got a really poor grade, I don't think it would ever come up in an interview. I think grad programs enforce the requirements because they have to, not because they actually care whether we can balance equations. lol. :) Grad programs are much more concerned with your CSD pre-reqs and are usually very aware of the grade inflation of that institution. 

35 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

Are you referring to the four ASHA science courses? If so, I think as long as its a legitimate academic institution, grad programs aren't that critical about which one. I took two of my pre-reqs at community colleges and got into a top 10 program. You are expected to list the university name and grades on you application and provide transcripts. Unless you got a really poor grade, I don't think it would ever come up in an interview. I think grad programs enforce the requirements because they have to, not because they actually care whether we can balance equations. lol. :) Grad programs are much more concerned with your CSD pre-reqs and are usually very aware of the grade inflation of that institution. 

Thanks Rezzy. Yes, I'm referring to the ASHA science and other requirements - Physics/Chemistry, Biology etc. Yes, I agree that grad schools won't worry too much about where you took those courses since your degree GPA's, GRE scores etc would carry the weight. I was wondering more about long term - like when you graduate and start applying for jobs or perhaps pursue a PHD, would it be a factor.  My guess is it's not an issue if you don't list it on your resume since these are non-degree subjects.

If you're going to save money on something, save it on that. I did two of mine online at random community colleges. Unless you want some super deep intense instruction I don’t think it’s really worth the money. Everything else on your app is probably more important. 

Edited by cakcak

I've been told by several great grad schools to take the ASHA requirements online at community colleges so that they're hopefully easier and also way cheaper. The grad schools don't care about where you take them, it's more of a national requirement you have to abide to. I wouldn't think you would have to put these on your resume or anything and don't think it would really be relevant in the future. I agree and think definitely save money for these because, again, they seem more like things to get out of the way just to check the box that you did them, and where you actually go to grad school is what matters. But in the end it's whatever makes you feel better and more confident!

You can take them at the university of Phoenix. It is an online school that is accredited. I always thought this school was sus but my advisor told me i could take the one prereq i was missing here. Community college classes fill up quick. Also if ur only taking one class there you will get last pick of classes. So theres a chance the class you need may close before you get the chance to even pick it.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:14 AM, Kandykane said:

You can take them at the university of Phoenix. It is an online school that is accredited. I always thought this school was sus but my advisor told me i could take the one prereq i was missing here. Community college classes fill up quick. Also if ur only taking one class there you will get last pick of classes. So theres a chance the class you need may close before you get the chance to even pick it.

You are right - community colleges have great options and are cheaper but hard to get places at short notice ....they can also last an entire semester. Definitely the preferable option given a choice. Online for profit universities like Phoenix have monthly offerings with compressed formats so I have heard that a lot of students are taking this option, especially if it fits along their other commitments like their grad studies.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:15 PM, psychslp said:

I've been told by several great grad schools to take the ASHA requirements online at community colleges so that they're hopefully easier and also way cheaper. The grad schools don't care about where you take them, it's more of a national requirement you have to abide to. I wouldn't think you would have to put these on your resume or anything and don't think it would really be relevant in the future. I agree and think definitely save money for these because, again, they seem more like things to get out of the way just to check the box that you did them, and where you actually go to grad school is what matters. But in the end it's whatever makes you feel better and more confident!

On 3/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, cakcak said:

If you're going to save money on something, save it on that. I did two of mine online at random community colleges. Unless you want some super deep intense instruction I don’t think it’s really worth the money. Everything else on your app is probably more important. 

Can you guys recommend any online community college courses that you had good experience with?  Or should I just choose my local one?  

30 minutes ago, SLaurP said:

Can you guys recommend any online community college courses that you had good experience with?  Or should I just choose my local one?  

I'd choose your local one, as it'll probably be the cheapest! I'm currently taking my Bio pre-req through Central Maine Community College - it's around $1000 per course for out-of-state students, but as an in-state student it's only $500. It's completely online, and it's been easy enough as far as bio classes go, so I've got no complaints. I'd highly recommend looking for an online class at an in-state cc!

6 hours ago, SLaurP said:

The cheapest online physics course I could find was Butler Community College (Kansas). It was 900$. I picked it purely because it was cheapest! It got the job done.