Which MSW program to pick?

mmr1996

I have been accepted to numerous MSW programs. Currently, I am having a hard time deciding between a highly ranked program (in a very expensive area to live in, and an outrageously expensive program) or an MSW program at a local school, with a good reputation, that would cost half as much as the highly ranked program. I am having a hard time justifying being $100k+ in debt after I graduate with a social worker's salary, but I also don't want to make a poor choice for my career...

If the local school option is a reputable state school, I would go with that option. That amount of debt is really hard to justify unless you have a career path that will make you tons of money, such as a doctor. Social Work isn't necessarily an area where prestige matters so much unless you plan to go into academia or you want to try and work in specific prestigious places like the UN or something. Even then, I would question the cost vs benefit of that much debt. 

Does prestige matter in MSW programs? What is it that you want to do with your degree? If you're planning to be a social worker and not go on for a doctorate I think you should take the best program that you can afford. I don't see a reason to increase your debt and stress if once you're working where you got your degree won't factor in at all.

This is a great post from a while ago by a professor about this topic!

I really agree with him. I am currently finishing up my first year and I have friends at several schools in my area and friends who have gone on to have very successful careers in their areas of social work and everyone of them talks about how the school does not matter as much as you do. The program and information you learn and the internships all depend on what you do with them. 

This is not a degree worth digging yourself into debt for it there is another option. 

I was dealing with this predicament, and ended up choosing the state school! Funnily enough it felt like they were more connected to the missions of social justice and listening to the people than the big name schools, and I still have opportunities to do research with faculty if I want to. I’ll also have sooooo much less debt. 

I’d also consider where you want to practice. If the prestigious schools are in a different state than that, you’ll be learning about different policies and issues, dif. Demographics. And if you’re pursuing licensure it’s good to be in the state you want to get licensed in.

Oh just an add on, if the state school has a good rep, and you’re looking to work in the area that’s great, you can get your field placements in orgs you might be interested in for employment. And I’ve found the local schools rep can actually go farther locally b/c employers have a frame of reference of the students that come out of the program. 

Go with the state school. Local schools are great for networking (and working with local agencies post-grad) and the cheap cost really matters more than the prestige when it comes to MSW's. As long as it's accredited and a decent program, then you're good!

I was in the same predicament and decided the debt just wasn’t worth it to me, when I know I’ll be making great connections and having an equally good experience at my local state school. Keep in mind that I definitely think this is true if you’re interested in a clinical track. If you’d like to get into macro work post-grad, having a big name might help, and may be worth the cost.

It’s too soon to tell but I know that not having to worry about finances and loans makes me a MUCH happier person. And I just keep this in mind—if you were qualified enough to get into those top programs, you will be fine wherever you decide to go. It’s your motivation, drive, and commitment that will help you succeed in any and all programs!

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the cost factor as your biggest influence. As long as it is CSWE accredited, it sucks to owe a massive amount in student loan debt. And lets be real, as long as you are licensed does anyone really care where you went?