Emerson Online vs. NYU Online

I know these programs are relatively new, but just want to put this out there for anyone who has any thoughts or experience on these two programs?  I've been accepted to both.  

18 hours ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

@SLaurP Hi, I'm looking into applying to Emerson and wanted to know how you felt about the interview and how do you feel about having to attend immersions on campus?

Hi BGS - I actually love this part of it.  It makes it feel like a more real experience.  That said, I live in Rhode Island, so Boston is an easy trek, just over an hour, and I can likely stay for free with a friend.   If I had to pay for airfare and accommodations, I think I would still be enthusiastic about it, but would have to add it into financial planning/loans.   I heard that sometimes you'll become friendly with other students in your classes, and you might opt to share an AirBNB with some of them.

1 hour ago, SLaurP said:

Hi BGS - I actually love this part of it.  It makes it feel like a more real experience.  That said, I live in Rhode Island, so Boston is an easy trek, just over an hour, and I can likely stay for free with a friend.   If I had to pay for airfare and accommodations, I think I would still be enthusiastic about it, but would have to add it into financial planning/loans.   I heard that sometimes you'll become friendly with other students in your classes, and you might opt to share an AirBNB with some of them.

Hey! Thanks for responding back!! I'm from Texas and work as a SLPA in the schools, so I would have to work something out with my SPED Director at the beginning of school year! I have flown a few times before growing up with family, but strangly enough I have anxiety about possibly flying alone going to the immersions. I feel like it would be such a great experience though

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 2:30 AM, speech97 said:

Congrats on getting into the programs! Do you mind sharing your stats? I am interested in NYU but not sure if my stats are good enough! ?

22 hours ago, 2ls said:

Also interested in your GPA/BS degree and GRE... these are my 2nd and 3rd choice program (after local university). 

No, I don't mind sharing, though I'm not proud of all my stats!  

Undergrad GPA (2003): 2.9 (I refuse to say this number out loud, ha!)

Bachelor's: Spanish major, French minor

GRE 2019: 160 Verbal, 153 Quant, 3.5 Writing (that hurt)

Professional Background: working with children in a preschool and Montessori setting

Personal experience with my own two kids, one with speech therapy and the other with PT/Early Intervention

5 hours ago, SLaurP said:

No, I don't mind sharing, though I'm not proud of all my stats!  

Undergrad GPA (2003): 2.9 (I refuse to say this number out loud, ha!)

Bachelor's: Spanish major, French minor

GRE 2019: 160 Verbal, 153 Quant, 3.5 Writing (that hurt)

Professional Background: working with children in a preschool and Montessori setting

Personal experience with my own two kids, one with speech therapy and the other with PT/Early Intervention

Wow, thanks so much for sharing! I also  am a 2003 grad, education degree. I have worked in multiple school settings but have also been home many years with my children. I am working at a school right now as an aide and with children with disabilities. I also have a child who had a birth defect and experience with that. (She had speech and OT). My undergrad GPA was 3.69 and I have taken two graduate classes in education (one with an A and one with an A -)

I am studying for the GRE and hoping to get scores as good as yours but it is hard to get back into math/study mode. How did you prepare for GRE and what methods did you use to study?

On 4/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, 2ls said:

Wow, thanks so much for sharing! I also  am a 2003 grad, education degree. I have worked in multiple school settings but have also been home many years with my children. I am working at a school right now as an aide and with children with disabilities. I also have a child who had a birth defect and experience with that. (She had speech and OT). My undergrad GPA was 3.69 and I have taken two graduate classes in education (one with an A and one with an A -)

I am studying for the GRE and hoping to get scores as good as yours but it is hard to get back into math/study mode. How did you prepare for GRE and what methods did you use to study?

Hi 2ls - I used Magoosh and was pretty happy with it, especially the math explanation videos.  I bought physical vocab flashcards which was provided some good variety from doing the online Magoosh flashcards.  I made sure to do several practice exams, and treated the studying like a part-time job.  I HAD to get out of the house to have successful study sessions... lucky I have a very supportive spouse.  I knew I would never score too high in math, so I aimed for "good enough"!  I gave myself 3 solid months of study time... with my terrible GPA, I knew I needed at least a very decent Verbal GRE score to get into grad school.    GOOD LUCK!!  You can do it!

On 4/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, 2ls said:

Try taking out books from the library- I did that and it helped vs. actually paying for them. The Magoosh GRE vocab app is also helpful!