Working During Grad School

I'm just wondering if anyone who's currently in grad school can tell me if it's unreasonable for me to assume I'll be able to handle school and a part time job? If anyone has any suggestions or even plans about what you're planning on doing as you go to grad school I'd love to hear about it lol. I'm starting to get really nervous about how I'm going to afford everything. 

I think it kind of depends on your schedule/commute, but when I went to Kent, for example, the student there said a majority of her cohort worked a part time job. I’ve heard of people working part time more often than I would have anticipated so it seems pretty doable! One student from MGH actually told me she did a Ga position and a thesis at the same time during her program and told me it’s possible as long as you have good time management skills. 

Side note: I plan on teaching English online part time during grad school because it’s the most pay for my time but is also flexible (18+/hr) 

Part-time is feasible as long as it's not too many hours, and/or something flexible, like babysitting. One girl in my cohort delivers groceries--she makes her own schedule and can work less during busy weeks. It sounds like a pretty good gig. For a full-time, in-person program I recommend no more than 10-ish hours a week unless you have excellent time management skills. I think 20 hours or more would crush my soul! Remember: money's helpful but sleep is essential!

I'm not in grad school, but I feel like I've spoken with a lot of people who work part-time! I imagine it also depends on what your school environment and schedule is like - I've applied to some schools where it seems like everyone works, and others where it appears less common. I also plan on teaching English online, as I have a current job where the hours I'll be able to work (EST) are in the mornings before classes, as well as on weekends, so it's very convenient! :)

On 3/31/2019 at 10:31 PM, cakcak said:

I think it kind of depends on your schedule/commute, but when I went to Kent, for example, the student there said a majority of her cohort worked a part time job. I’ve heard of people working part time more often than I would have anticipated so it seems pretty doable! One student from MGH actually told me she did a Ga position and a thesis at the same time during her program and told me it’s possible as long as you have good time management skills. 

Side note: I plan on teaching English online part time during grad school because it’s the most pay for my time but is also flexible (18+/hr) 

wow 18/hour is so much do you mind sharing which website/company you're planning on teaching through?

7 hours ago, cakcak said:

There are many teaching companies but I would also highly recommend VIPKID! They're great because you don't need a TEFL/TESL (but you can get one specific to their company when you are hired) and they're very flexible in terms of how many hours you need to work in order to remain hired (you can work as much or as little as you want!) so it's very convenient.

I've spoken to two people who said they literally had to quit their jobs because they had no time for work and the programs are too intense. One of them I know from work- which is just at a Sunday respite program that runs every other Sunday (so not really that much of a job). This other girl that attends Lehman told me many people in her program can not even work part-time because it was too intense. However, adding on to what others are saying- there are online tutoring jobs that are flexible and a means of earning extra cash. At the end of the day it depends on the person and how they juggle everything. Hopefully you are able to figure it out! Good luck!