Less Competitive Schools

Hello, 

I have gone through a few pages of the forums and I have seen a few times that people with low GPA and low GRE are encouraged to apply to "less competitive schools". I was wondering if people could tell me which schools they think are less competitive, and schools that look at overall application/experience. ? I graduated undergrad in 2016 with a 3.2

I have 3 years experience working with people with disabilities, which is what encouraged me to try and join the SLP field, but I am worried that I wont get in anywhere. I have just begun the process, and I am hoping to apply in fall 2019 and start in fall 2020. I am from the Boston area..and would love to stay.. but the Boston schools are so competitive 

Edited by eroff27

First thing, did you graduate under a communication sciences and disorders or related major? You need to have the prerequisites completed before starting graduate school.

Second, Boston schools are indeed competitive. Your GPA isn’t actually that bad! You have to consider other areas of the application however such as GRE scores, letters of rec., statement, etc. These speak significantly about you as an individual so don’t undervalue yourself.

Third, I encourage you to put your best foot forward and apply to “reach schools”. You just never know where you’ll get in. That said, schools in rural areas, or non metropolitan, are considered to be less competitive. Try using the edfind search engine via the official ASHA website. A quick google search will yield it.

Finally, remember, don't undervalue yourself. Speak to professors, make sure your application materials are top notch and really investigate schools and their criterias! 

1 hour ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

First thing, did you graduate under a communication sciences and disorders or related major? You need to have the prerequisites completed before starting graduate school.

Second, Boston schools are indeed competitive. Your GPA isn’t actually that bad! You have to consider other areas of the application however such as GRE scores, letters of rec., statement, etc. These speak significantly about you as an individual so don’t undervalue yourself.

Third, I encourage you to put your best foot forward and apply to “reach schools”. You just never know where you’ll get in. That said, schools in rural areas, or non metropolitan, are considered to be less competitive. Try using the edfind search engine via the official ASHA website. A quick google search will yield it.

Finally, remember, don't undervalue yourself. Speak to professors, make sure your application materials are top notch and really investigate schools and their criterias! 

My undergrad was in public health. I am currently taking 2 prerequisites, and I am planning on taking 2 more in the summer, and 2 more in fall. 

'Less competitive' is subjective as there are many students who got into their top choice universities which seem to be more competitive but could not get into the schools they perceived to be less competitive. My advice to you would be to apply to your top choice schools but also to apply elsewhere as a backup. I found  the ASHA Edfind average GRE admission statistics to be very useful in figuring out which schools gave me the best chances for admission.

Definitely encourage applying to less competitive schools, however, I would also advise applying to reach schools. I got accepted to all except 1 of my reach schools and was waitlisted at my safety school. You never know! And make sure you look into each program to ensure yourself whether you can see yourself attending there or not!