Rejection thread

vallaboop

Hi all,

For those of us who didn't get in this time around (le sigh) I thought it might be helpful to commiserate. We can share our reflections over this cycle, what we are going to do to improve for next cycle, and any plan B's in the mean time. This isn't my first rodeo and I'm getting really down on myself. I think talking among people in similar situations could be really helpful for a lot of people. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is not taking rejection lightly! 

First time round right out of undergrad, rejected from all but interviewed at 2/5 so I'm okay with it. Currently looking for full time work, will continue on in research and try again this year or next (will also re-write GRE cuz that was a mess). We got this, taking extra time (even if involuntary) will make us more competitive next round!

Edited by higaisha

I don't know what I can work on to raise my chances in the next applications. I was rejected by the 3 universities I have applied to (McGill, U of T, and Western). My undergraduate GPA was a mess but I managed to have straight As in the last two years (which seems to be more important to Canadian programs). I have applied to Master's programs. Also I had nearly four years with research experience and several poster presentations. I'm starting to think that it is more important to have some prior relationship with POIs.

Edited by Fabretti
Mispelled word.

30 minutes ago, Fabretti said:

I don't know what I can work on to raise my chances in the next applications. I was rejected by the 3 universities I have applied to (McGill, U of T, and Western). My undergraduate GPA was a mess but I managed to have straight As in the last two years (which seems to be more important to Canadian programs). I have applied to Master's programs. Also I had nearly four years with research experience and several poster presentations. I'm starting to think that it is more important to have some prior relationship with POIs.

I've heard conflicting things about getting a master's first but I think it is a plus! I have my master's which I think really helped because my undergrad GPA was also a mess. Are you looking into research positions too? I sadly agree about the prior relationships. I think connections can be huge but I feel like it can a struggle to make them

Hey folks :)

I technically didn't get rejected from all - got into three "safety" PsyD schools that would have cost about $200k to attend sooooo I said no thanks. For my funded programs, I got interviews for 3 and was ultimately rejected from all post-interview.

I'm taking the next two years to work full-time in research. I have a master's in counseling (no research, just clinical practice), which was great for getting into the PsyD programs but horrible for getting into PhD programs. I should have beefed up my research experience more, but there's only so many hours in the day when you also have to be at practicum sites. I did the masters because I initially only wanted to do clinical practice (and my GPA was shit), but along the way found out (a little too late) I really love research.

1 hour ago, Fabretti said:

Also I had nearly four years with research experience and several poster presentations. I'm starting to think that it is more important to have some prior relationship with POIs.

I'm in the same boat. I have ~3 years of research experience and 5 posters on my CV, but they were in areas that were unrelated to my POI's work and I made the mistake of not contacting POIs and networking before I applied. Going to interviews, it seemed like a lot of candidates had either collaborated with the POI's lab or they had met at previous conferences, etc. Of course, if two candidates are equal, they're probably going to choose the one they know and have interacted with. I'm going to definitely do more of this before I reapply.

6 hours ago, vallaboop said:

I've heard conflicting things about getting a master's first but I think it is a plus! I have my master's which I think really helped because my undergrad GPA was also a mess. Are you looking into research positions too? I sadly agree about the prior relationships. I think connections can be huge but I feel like it can a struggle to make them

Yeah. There is no Master's program without research here in Brazil, so I'm hoping I can get at least two papers published in good international journals to increase my chances a little bit. I will also try to contact POIs much earlier.

5 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Hey folks :)

I technically didn't get rejected from all - got into three "safety" PsyD schools that would have cost about $200k to attend sooooo I said no thanks. For my funded programs, I got interviews for 3 and was ultimately rejected from all post-interview.

I'm taking the next two years to work full-time in research. I have a master's in counseling (no research, just clinical practice), which was great for getting into the PsyD programs but horrible for getting into PhD programs. I should have beefed up my research experience more, but there's only so many hours in the day when you also have to be at practicum sites. I did the masters because I initially only wanted to do clinical practice (and my GPA was shit), but along the way found out (a little too late) I really love research.

I'm in the same boat. I have ~3 years of research experience and 5 posters on my CV, but they were in areas that were unrelated to my POI's work and I made the mistake of not contacting POIs and networking before I applied. Going to interviews, it seemed like a lot of candidates had either collaborated with the POI's lab or they had met at previous conferences, etc. Of course, if two candidates are equal, they're probably going to choose the one they know and have interacted with. I'm going to definitely do more of this before I reapply.

I just started following them on ResearchGate so I can keep track of what they are currently doing, maybe it can help in the whole process of getting in touch.