Is stipend taxed?

TITX

Yes, but only the portion that doesn't go to tuition (so living expenses etc). In general you pay federal and state depends on the state (e.g., I do on my income portion but not my fellowship portion).

If you fall under some tax treaty you may not have to pay the fellowship part, but you'd still have to pay the income (RA/TA, etc.) part.

Does anyone have experience with scholarships being taxed? I have my base stipend and then additional funding from a scholarship I received - I think they might be taxed separately? 

47 minutes ago, cavalior7005 said:

Does anyone have experience with scholarships being taxed? I have my base stipend and then additional funding from a scholarship I received - I think they might be taxed separately? 

I'm in California - both my stipend and fellowship amounts are taxed at the same rate federally. I believe California does not tax the fellowship, but does tax the stipend.

15 hours ago, cavalior7005 said:

TA/RA-ships are taxed for me; fellowship seems to be not.

11 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

TA/RA-ships are taxed for me; fellowship seems to be not.

Your fellowship is probably still taxed, but taxes are not automatically withheld. If it's going toward living expenses and not just tuition, you need to pay estimated taxes 4x per year. You should be sure to pay this if you haven't been doing it so far, or else you can get slapped with a big fee if you're ever audited.

13 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Your fellowship is probably still taxed, but taxes are not automatically withheld. If it's going toward living expenses and not just tuition, you need to pay estimated taxes 4x per year. You should be sure to pay this if you haven't been doing it so far, or else you can get slapped with a big fee if you're ever audited.

This is different for international students depending on your tax treaty.

4 hours ago, Psygeek said:

This is different for international students depending on your tax treaty.

Ah yes you're correct :) just a PSA for US citizens though, don't forget to pay your estimated taxes!