NYU Online or Reapply

This was my 2nd round applying, I got waitlisted to 3 schools (all of which sent very kind letters when their classes were full), rejected from 5 schools, accepted to NYU Online. So, now comes the decision. Do I reapply or start grad school online?

If I reapplied I would retake the GRE (Current stats = V158, Q142, W4), do an SLP second degree program (already did a postbacc. Undergrad GPA=3.3, Department GPA=4.0), and continue with my extraccuricluers like NSSHLA and newborn hearing screenings while looking for more ways to get hands on experience. I would leave my full time job, go back to being an undergrad, and invest as much time as possible into these apps unlike this year, where I was working full time and honestly could have tried harder.

OR

Do I accept my spot in the September Speech@NYU class and get this ball rolling?? I do like the idea of the live classes and access to WeWork spaces so I can leave my apartment sometimes (lol) but really worry about finding clinical placements in a city like Portland where there is competition from two other grad programs. I might have to be commuting to rural areas for clinicals and that does worry me. I also worry about feeling isolated.

Any advice? Experiences applying more than 2 times? Know anyone who's done an online grad program? Thanks in advance everyone!! I'm going to be an SLP, it's just a matter of when and how :)

Your CSD GPA is amazing and same goes with your GRE score (wow!), I am really shocked you didn't get into more schools. 

Okay, if I were I would write a list of pros/cons about  NYU vs waiting to next year to reapply. Everyone on here has different things going on in their lives such as marriage, kids, job, etc and our decision would be based on that. With that being said, NYU is extremely expensive so that has to be taken into consideration and while Portland as other grad schools NYU is a reputable school so I am sure finding a placement wouldn't be an issue. 

If I were you I would accept NYU because there is no guarantee that you will be accepted next year or the year after. I also would prefer not to go through the stress of applying, getting letters of rec, etc all over again. For me, the anxiety was almost unbearable, but that's my experience.

Good Luck!

I agree with @Toya about accepting the sure thing. It sounds like your alternative is going through a lot of extra work (and expense due to an additional degree, application fees, GRE scores, etc) to prolong your journey for no real guarantee of acceptance (not saying you wouldn't get accepted again later, just that the grad school gods are capricious and no one can be too sure!). I do think that placements might be tricky due to the other programs, but I think NYU does work with you to find placements, so I don't think you'd come away empty-handed, you just might not be able to get your dream placement.

I also think that accepting the offer is the better option since you dont know what might happen if you reapply! Congrats on getting in though! :) 

I know you said you’d rather not reapply, but one other option is to look into programs that have spring admissions. You may wanna confirm with NYU Online on this, but i’ve heard that they let you defer admission one time. if that’s true, you could still save your spot for the January cohort while having another shot at being a part of an on-campus program/a program that may better suit your preferences (and bank account!). Yeah you’d have to reapply, but at least this way you wouldn’t have to wait a whole year to do so! But I totally understand not wanting to go through the whole app process again haha

8 hours ago, Blossom19 said:

I also think that accepting the offer is the better option since you dont know what might happen if you reapply! Congrats on getting in though! :) 

I know you said you’d rather not reapply, but one other option is to look into programs that have spring admissions. You may wanna confirm with NYU Online on this, but i’ve heard that they let you defer admission one time. if that’s true, you could still save your spot for the January cohort while having another shot at being a part of an on-campus program/a program that may better suit your preferences (and bank account!). Yeah you’d have to reapply, but at least this way you wouldn’t have to wait a whole year to do so! But I totally understand not wanting to go through the whole app process again haha

Good point, especially if NYU allows this!

On 4/29/2019 at 8:31 PM, Toya said:

On 4/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, bibliophile222 said:

23 hours ago, SLP2019isHere said:

8 hours ago, Blossom19 said:

Thank you all so much for your advice! You're all right that there are a ton of pros and cons each way. It's hard for family and friends to understand just how hard it is to predict speech school admissions and oh my god that application process :( I don't think i've ever cried as much as I did just WAITING to hear back through January and February lol.

These are all great things to keep in mind, congrats to all of you who are heading into programs this fall!! If anyone knows anybody who's in/has done NYU's online program please let me know. Would love to chat with someone!

@nwslpCongrats on getting into NYU Online. Do you mind me asking you when you submitted your application to Speech@NYU and how long it took you to hear. I have about the same GPA and STATs but am still waiting for a decision from them

Edited by HannahC123

I would personally take it. Getting through the application process for any SLP school is so difficult and there is no guarantee on getting same /better GRE scores or any further acceptances. A bird in the hand...