Should I find a new major?

So I made a couple posts here. I just finished my second year and I got a B and an A in my physics and Bio class which brought my science gpa to a 2.8. My math gpa is a 3.0 and my CSD is a 4.0. 

In my previous posts I mentioned I was a different major my first year and went through a lot of tough stuff in my personal life. I ended my first year with a gpa of a 2.747 and now that I switched to CSD and wanting to be a slp, I got my gpa up to a 3.038. I’m waiting to see my gpa after grades get put in so it should be going up a lot more after this semester. I still have two more years to go. Should I switched my major I feel like my stats are just too low

19 minutes ago, Penelopepie said:

So I made a couple posts here. I just finished my second year and I got a B and an A in my physics and Bio class which brought my science gpa to a 2.8. My math gpa is a 3.0 and my CSD is a 4.0. 

In my previous posts I mentioned I was a different major my first year and went through a lot of tough stuff in my personal life. I ended my first year with a gpa of a 2.747 and now that I switched to CSD and wanting to be a slp, I got my gpa up to a 3.038. I’m waiting to see my gpa after grades get put in so it should be going up a lot more after this semester. I still have two more years to go. Should I switched my major I feel like my stats are just too low

Hi! So in my opinion if this is the major you truly love you should stick with it. 

I was originally in a different major my freshman year too. I got a D+ in a pre req for that major and ended my first semester with a 2.1. I think if you stay consistent and make sure you get really good grades your last two years you’re overall will jump up. I went from a 2.1 to a 3.1 so with two years left for you you have time to get your GPA up. 

Don’t forget a lot of schools look at your last 60 credit hours more than your overall. So if you happen to get a 3.5 to 4.0 your last two years that’ll look good on your applications. And as always when you write your personal statement you can explain why you started with a lower GPA. 

You have a lot of time left so while it might not seem too promising right now I definitely think it’ll all work out for you in the end.  

My first semester I was a pharmacy major and finished my first semester with a 2.5 GPA I had a C in bio and a C in chem my advisor told me not to bother switching into CMD because I would never make it in, but I did not listen and I worked really hard. I brought my GPA upto a 3.4 by the time I was applying. It was not perfect, but it got me into 3 graduate schools and waitlisted at another one. I also decided to retake bio and chem because a lot of schools require at least a B In these courses. All the schools that interviewed me were really impressed that I was taking them again and I had already gotten my first exams back and had done really well so I was able to use these to show how I have grown as a student because grad school is a lot more demanding. I also did A LOT of internships and even had a SLP that had known me well write me a letter. So if is something you really care about DON'T GIVE UP just work that much harder to show yourself and them how much you have grown since that first bad GPA 

8 hours ago, Penelopepie said:

That 4.0 CSD is everything! Keep it and get your overall GPA a little higher and you've got this! When it's finally time to apply, select a variety of schools and use ASHA EdFind to check your stats. Also leave ample time to study for and take the GRE.

15 hours ago, Penelopepie said:

It honestly doesn't sound like your stats are that awful, and as others have said, you have quite a ways to go before you've even got your BA. If you continue getting a 4.0 or close in CSD and can get your GPA up to a 3.2+, then you should be in a decent position. I think many schools are understanding of the fact that some people start in different places and may struggle with non-major classes, but if you do very well in your junior and senior years (and can point to that in your essays) then it should show schools that you are capable of graduate-level work.

In addition to continuing to get higher grades, you can study for the GREs and score in the 150s+, and you can get volunteer and work experience that can count in your favor for graduate school. If you can get experience shadowing SLPs, working with children/adults (tutoring, camp counseling, assistant teaching, mentoring, etc.), researching, etc. then those are all things that can really add to the value of your application when you apply to grad school.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:51 PM, Penelopepie said:

Please do not be discouraged... you have 2 years left and you sound motivated to continue to work hard! I was an out of field applicant, i did my pre reqs online at Longwood University. My Overall undergrad GPA SUCKED!! It was a 2.91. My Major GPA was a 3.3 (again this is in a different major) After taking pre reqs my CSD GPA was only a 3.52 ( a lot of people have 4.0) I applied my first round and got rejected from 4 schools. I applied the second time around and was accepted to 2/8 schools. My GRE's were super low compared to anyone. Writing score was very average (3.0 or 3.5). During the time I was rejected I completed some shadowing hours, also got a job taking care of a little boy who has some special needs and ended up working with him for a year. By then I had about 40 SLP hours that could be used in my application. I believe these 2 things helped me with my application, also my Letter of intent/ essay was, in my opinion, amazing lol. If you can, bring up your GPA, try your best on the GRE's and try and shadow early. It will make things a lot easier in the long run and of course pray ❤️ 
Just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do not give up if this is something that you want!