Trouble Deciding What to Study + Looking For Advice

laurynap

Hey there community, 

I figured I would post here to get some general advice and guidance if you all wouldn't mind. Quick history: after graduating undergrad I applied to 2 Anthropology PhD programs and was not accepted. It was fine, I have bene in corporate America (bleh) but learning a ton ever since! It was probably best I was not accepted as my SOP probably was not as astute nor clear as it should be. I have been still passionate about pursuing graduate school in the 3 years since and am planning to re-apply for fall 2020. 

I have a ton of interests that span across Anthropology & Sociology that I have often found myself unable to even begin writing a SOP or anything as I am conflicted on what to study. I think choosing one thing really pigeon holes myself and I have had a tougher time this time around to get creative and really get clear on what I want to study. I just want to know how did you all exactly determine what you wanted to study (PhDs in Soc + Anth). It seems a lot of people have burning passions, so is that what is common or did you hone in on research topics that just interested you more? I would love any and all advice! 

Thank you! 

I'm in psych, so different discipline, but I just honed in on what I'm most interested in. As long as your varied interests are somewhat interconnected, you shouldn't worry about pigeon-holing yourself. People very rarely study the exact same minute topic their whole lives. Also, what may help in putting things into more perspective for writing the SOP, think about what you want to do after you get the PhD. The degree is a means to an end. So what do you want to do as a career and how does this degree and studying this thing help you achieve that goal?

8 hours ago, laurynap said:

I would love any and all advice! 

Maybe try looking at it from the other end. Imagine what you would want to do with the knowledge you would acquire in graduate school then work backwards to develop a path from there to where you are now.

Some advice I got back in the day, while working on my Masters in math, is that the advisors primary job is to pick the problem that you'll work on for the dissertation.  Now math problems aren't soc, so not sure how this applies across disciplines.  I didn't bother to go back for the Phd, but if we think about the Phd as training to do research, then the topic is less important than the process.  If I ever do go back, I recognize that the culture in the department, the demeanor of the advisors, and, compatibility with an advisor in the department are all at least as important as the topic of research.  If your interests are varied because you genuinely are interested in the way the world works, then no big deal, just focus where your advisor says to focus.  If your interests are varied because you get bored easily, then you could be on the ten year program...

Edited by MSmath

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 11:28 PM, Sigaba said:

Maybe try looking at it from the other end. Imagine what you would want to do with the knowledge you would acquire in graduate school then work backwards to develop a path from there to where you are now.

Sigaba, 

That is a great approach. I really appreciate that, thank you! 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, MSmath said:

Some advice I got back in the day, while working on my Masters in math, is that the advisors primary job is to pick the problem that you'll work on for the dissertation.  Now math problems aren't soc, so not sure how this applies across disciplines.  I didn't bother to go back for the Phd, but if we think about the Phd as training to do research, then the topic is less important than the process.  If I ever do go back, I recognize that the culture in the department, the demeanor of the advisors, and, compatibility with an advisor in the department are all at least as important as the topic of research.  If your interests are varied because you genuinely are interested in the way the world works, then no big deal, just focus where your advisor says to focus.  If your interests are varied because you get bored easily, then you could be on the ten year program...

Just want to point out that while this may be true in STEM, it is untrue in the social sciences. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, laurynap said:

Hey there community, 

I figured I would post here to get some general advice and guidance if you all wouldn't mind. Quick history: after graduating undergrad I applied to 2 Anthropology PhD programs and was not accepted. It was fine, I have bene in corporate America (bleh) but learning a ton ever since! It was probably best I was not accepted as my SOP probably was not as astute nor clear as it should be. I have been still passionate about pursuing graduate school in the 3 years since and am planning to re-apply for fall 2020. 

I have a ton of interests that span across Anthropology & Sociology that I have often found myself unable to even begin writing a SOP or anything as I am conflicted on what to study. I think choosing one thing really pigeon holes myself and I have had a tougher time this time around to get creative and really get clear on what I want to study. I just want to know how did you all exactly determine what you wanted to study (PhDs in Soc + Anth). It seems a lot of people have burning passions, so is that what is common or did you hone in on research topics that just interested you more? I would love any and all advice! 

Thank you! 

Hi I hope you are still checking this sometimes- I can see it is from awhile back. 

I did my MA in cultural anthropology and am working on my PhD in Sociology so I know a bit about both fields.

1) The first is that it might be harder to come from industry straight into a PhD program, especially if you haven't been doing research in your industry or aren't working in an area related to what you would want to study. If this sounds like you then I would highly recommend applying to a terminal masters program first-- in either field. There are some that will pay you to TA and cover your tuition (Oregon State's MA in anthropology, for example) and lots of pay programs. These are often a little easier to get into for a step in the middle and are a great way to figure out what you are really interested in/narrow down what you want to do. I was generally interested I poverty and inequality...why some people make it and others don't (social mobility) when I left undergrad. In grad school I narrowed that down and shifted a lot as I learned more about safety net programs and stigma/the role of symbolic capital. That allowed me to write a much clearer SoP when it came time to apply to a full PhD program. The good news is that from here, as long as you put the work in on that MA, your work should translate into part of your PhD work and cut some time off of that program. This advice means getting a phd will take 1-2 years longer than if you go straight into a PhD track but it is a good option for people who don't know what they want to study or were kind of goofy during undergrad (I was the latter- I transferred a bunch and didn't declare a major til the last minute). 

2) The second case might be that you just have broad interests but you work in an area you could study. If that is you then start talking to local professors who also study in your area. Ask them about their programs/if there's room to translate your current work into a degree. In my current soc program I've watched that strategy work for 3 phds we've brought in (my cohort and after cohorts). So reach out and ask questions. 

In my experience whatever you write on your SoP won't be what you actually end up doing for your dissertation anyways so as far as what you write you are interested in it isn't a make it or break it once you are there-- and the committees know that. It is more about showing your interests are aligned with the people who could teach you. That's true for both soc and anthropology programs. You do need to pick one though. Although we know they are super similar fields- they are territorial and won't be pleased if you want to be a "social scientist" they are looking to train Anthropologists or Sociologists (as ridiculous as that might sound to people who are kind of between the two fields for where their interest lies). 

Anyways, I hope this helps!!!

On 9/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, loves2hike said:

Hi I hope you are still checking this sometimes- I can see it is from awhile back. 

I did my MA in cultural anthropology and am working on my PhD in Sociology so I know a bit about both fields.

1) The first is that it might be harder to come from industry straight into a PhD program, especially if you haven't been doing research in your industry or aren't working in an area related to what you would want to study. If this sounds like you then I would highly recommend applying to a terminal masters program first-- in either field. There are some that will pay you to TA and cover your tuition (Oregon State's MA in anthropology, for example) and lots of pay programs. These are often a little easier to get into for a step in the middle and are a great way to figure out what you are really interested in/narrow down what you want to do. I was generally interested I poverty and inequality...why some people make it and others don't (social mobility) when I left undergrad. In grad school I narrowed that down and shifted a lot as I learned more about safety net programs and stigma/the role of symbolic capital. That allowed me to write a much clearer SoP when it came time to apply to a full PhD program. The good news is that from here, as long as you put the work in on that MA, your work should translate into part of your PhD work and cut some time off of that program. This advice means getting a phd will take 1-2 years longer than if you go straight into a PhD track but it is a good option for people who don't know what they want to study or were kind of goofy during undergrad (I was the latter- I transferred a bunch and didn't declare a major til the last minute). 

2) The second case might be that you just have broad interests but you work in an area you could study. If that is you then start talking to local professors who also study in your area. Ask them about their programs/if there's room to translate your current work into a degree. In my current soc program I've watched that strategy work for 3 phds we've brought in (my cohort and after cohorts). So reach out and ask questions. 

In my experience whatever you write on your SoP won't be what you actually end up doing for your dissertation anyways so as far as what you write you are interested in it isn't a make it or break it once you are there-- and the committees know that. It is more about showing your interests are aligned with the people who could teach you. That's true for both soc and anthropology programs. You do need to pick one though. Although we know they are super similar fields- they are territorial and won't be pleased if you want to be a "social scientist" they are looking to train Anthropologists or Sociologists (as ridiculous as that might sound to people who are kind of between the two fields for where their interest lies). 

Anyways, I hope this helps!!!

Hey there! Thank you so much for this feedback. I found it very helpful. 

Over the past few months I have kind of honed my research interests and have a clearer idea, luckily, than I did before. I am now planning on only Soc programs, some MA and some PhD. Interesting that they are territorial fields! In that case, should I not mention how I double majored in both fields in undergrad? That was the program my university offered so you kind of were required to major in both fields. Not sure if this will hurt me at all in the process.. But that is all good to know! thank you so much. 

On 9/30/2019 at 7:13 AM, laurynap said:

Hey there! Thank you so much for this feedback. I found it very helpful. 

Over the past few months I have kind of honed my research interests and have a clearer idea, luckily, than I did before. I am now planning on only Soc programs, some MA and some PhD. Interesting that they are territorial fields! In that case, should I not mention how I double majored in both fields in undergrad? That was the program my university offered so you kind of were required to major in both fields. Not sure if this will hurt me at all in the process.. But that is all good to know! thank you so much. 

It won't hurt you in the process, but lean into the sociology courses you took and why those were important. Sociology is more territorial than anthropology department are so that's why you want to focus on why you want to be a Sociologist. Having studied both you'll know they are very similar- share theorists even- so it is weird that they are this way, but Soc especially is.  Best of luck in your applications!! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! 

On 10/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, loves2hike said:

It won't hurt you in the process, but lean into the sociology courses you took and why those were important. Sociology is more territorial than anthropology department are so that's why you want to focus on why you want to be a Sociologist. Having studied both you'll know they are very similar- share theorists even- so it is weird that they are this way, but Soc especially is.  Best of luck in your applications!! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! 

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the feedback. One other question for you if you don't mind. So I am now looking at MA programs in Soc as well. The only issue is that I know most of them cater to more of an Applied track which is not academia focused, however I see many PhD students coming in with an MA already and can only imagine that graduate school work better prepares one for a PhD program. However, if I am interested in a Soc MA and PhD program at the same school, would you recommend applying to both? Just one? And if just one, which? I know a lot of this can be political and tricky to navigate so just wanted to gain some insight. Thank you! 

Best, 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, laurynap said:

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the feedback. One other question for you if you don't mind. So I am now looking at MA programs in Soc as well. The only issue is that I know most of them cater to more of an Applied track which is not academia focused, however I see many PhD students coming in with an MA already and can only imagine that graduate school work better prepares one for a PhD program. However, if I am interested in a Soc MA and PhD program at the same school, would you recommend applying to both? Just one? And if just one, which? I know a lot of this can be political and tricky to navigate so just wanted to gain some insight. Thank you! 

Best, 

I wish I had a better answer to this but I'd say both but I am not sure. I am in a combo program but came in with an MA. My program goes back and forth for whether it prefers to admit BAs or MAs (basically it seems like it depends on whether the department head thinks we need more TAs or ppl to teach classes as crappy as that is). At any rate my personal experience was that my not stellar GPA but decent GRE was why I had to do an MA prior to applying to a PhD program (that's actually what the rejection from the combined MA/PhD program I applied to told me right out of undergrad). So I had to do an MA first. If your grades and GPA and research experience are excellent then I'd apply straight to the PhD programs. If you are worried you won't get into the PhD then I'd apply to the MA as well (cover your bases). It also depends on what your interests are... I also wouldn't knock applied programs. They teach you lots of methodological skills that make you a great researcher which is a huge asset in a PhD program. Lots of the people who come in with Mas in my current department went to applied programs first. The only hang up is if their MA thesis work wasn't rigorous enough the department makes them repeat this step- so it really just means that when you hit that stage if you decide to continue to the PhD make sure your chair knows that so you can do something that'll be comparable to what you call "academic" programs sometimes do (in my experience terminal program MA requirements are far more intense than when its in a combined program, our MAs don't do nearly as much as I had to for my masters). I hope this helps! Sorry it took me so long to get back on here to reply- comps are kicking my butt but hopefully this isn't too late to be helpful!