NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, robertac93 said:

I wasn't a computationalist before the quarantine, but I am now apparently. Managed to learn how to use STAR CCM+ relatively quickly for lots of CFD, only to learn that our lab group wants to start switching to Fluent...

I've used both. What are you using those for, if you don't mind me asking.

Just now, NDSEG_throwaway said:

Fluent is rad! Get the research license, otherwise you're limited to 16 threads and it's painfully slow.

Oh yeah we have a whole supercomputer cluster that we use and through it we have access to lots and lots of cores. We're just slowly transitioning stuff to Fluent from STAR, a few of my labmates have begun heavily using it.

Just now, alcoholistic said:

Bit the bullet. emailed rob and asked if it was an ARO hangup. His response:

Per my last conversation with the DoD this morning (not just ARO, but AFOSR and ONR as well), they are still aiming for decision release today.

lol I just love picturing DoD and SysPlus reading through this thread. Maybe they're just as stressed as we are?

I wasn't a computationalist before the quarantine, but I am now apparently. Managed to learn how to use STAR CCM+ relatively quickly for lots of CFD, only to learn that our lab group wants to start switching to Fluent...

My group does combustion, fuels, engines, etc. so we use Converge CFD.  It's been an interesting learning curve.  I went from project engineer using SW for pipes and the occasionally low-quality duct flow simulation, to jet fuel combustion lab research, to CFD, in less than a year.  What a ride.

Oh yeah we have a whole supercomputer cluster that we use and through it we have access to lots and lots of cores. We're just slowly transitioning stuff to Fluent from STAR, a few of my labmates have begun heavily using it.

Are you using a t shell for batch submission? I've been so confused on this for a while since you need to use commandline Fluent instead of GUI....

Just now, GradNt said:

lol I just love picturing DoD and SysPlus reading through this thread. Maybe they're just as stressed as we are?

I feel like they're definitely stressed and are scrambling to release the announcements today. If they weren't and decisions were made a while ago they would've released the announcements earlier.

Just now, NDSEG_throwaway said:

Are you using a t shell for batch submission? I've been so confused on this for a while since you need to use commandline Fluent instead of GUI....

I am not, although one of the guys in my lab does batch submission.

A few years ago when I was still in industry I used Ansys for stress and life computations and I got pretty good at commandline scripts for running stuff, but that knowledge quickly seeped away.

1 minute ago, robertac93 said:

I am not, although one of the guys in my lab does batch submission.

A few years ago when I was still in industry I used Ansys for stress and life computations and I got pretty good at commandline scripts for running stuff, but that knowledge quickly seeped away.

Got it. I've been using a 40 core PC with Fluent GUI and have been trying to dabble in running via SSH and t shell batch submission but am not sure it's worth it at this point. 

Just now, Porhypet said:

Scroll down and see what?

There is a scrolldown menu with just the 2020 NDSEG application, but it seems like they are getting ready to release a fellowship forms page on the same dropdown menu

I really hope someone puts together a poster or something from all of this data that we collected, could be an interesting postmortem considering that it is likely the largest external dataset about NDSEG applicants and that the DOD doesn't release any details other than the number of awardees 

2 minutes ago, thel said:

I really hope someone puts together a poster or something from all of this data that we collected, could be an interesting postmortem considering that it is likely the largest external dataset about NDSEG applicants and that the DOD doesn't release any details other than the number of awardees 

We might want to validate the data though since there does seem to be trolls. Not sure what that would entail

Just now, somethingsimple said:

We might want to validate the data though since there does seem to be trolls. Not sure what that would entail

A ton of social science research relies on survey data, I assume there are methods out there for reducing these types of biases?

Just now, thel said:

A ton of social science research relies on survey data, I assume there are methods out there for reducing these types of biases?

It would just rely on an assumption that supposed trolls represent a small percentage of the population completing the survey, especially since they have put minimal effort forward thus far...