NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, throwawayndseg said:

Why was it punted to STI-TEC in 2018 and then SysPlus this year after being run by the ASEE for so many years? We're out here working our asses off to help this country (which I love) advance our technologies where this fellowship could provide hundreds with the resources to do so, but they're just twiddling their thumbs up their butts. They spend so much money on trying to recruit new scientists and graduates to join government agencies after graduation, but shit like this just turns us all off and they wonder why.

Lowest bidder wins the government race

Just now, throwawayndseg said:

Why was it punted to STI-TEC in 2018 and then SysPlus this year after being run by the ASEE for so many years? We're out here working our asses off to help this country (which I love) advance our technologies where this fellowship could provide hundreds with the resources to do so, but they're just twiddling their thumbs up their butts. They spend so much money on trying to recruit new scientists and graduates to join government agencies after graduation, but shit like this just turns us all off and they wonder why.

I assume it was a lowest-bidder situation, but I have a friend who was managed by STI-TEC and she said that there was a semester where they were like 6 months behind on paying her tuition bill. Could be related

Emailed the PMO and got a message from the NDSEG saying  "I don't have any further information available. The DoD hasn't released the decisions, and I cannot promise the time they will release. We will get them out as soon as possible after they release the decisions."

My guess is the ARO, specifically anything decision science/math related is probably the hang-up as they are working crazy hours for COVID response.

Edited by alcoholistic

11 minutes ago, alcoholistic said:

Emailed the PMO and got a message from the NDSEG saying  "I don't have any further information available. The DoD hasn't released the decisions, and I cannot promise the time they will release. We will get them out as soon as possible after they release the decisions."

My guess is the ARO, specifically anything decision science/math related is probably the hang-up as they are working crazy hours for COVID response.

Man, if even SysPlus doesn't know who won, that sure as hell puts a nail in the coffin of our "the dates mean something" theory, at least for the different dates in April.  

3 minutes ago, vpaglioni3 said:

God is dead. 

No, I'm sure that dude is just laughing his invisible head off.  "I don't need to condemn grad students to hell.  They do it to themselves!"

1 minute ago, OhTheStress said:

Man, if even SysPlus doesn't know who won, that sure as hell puts a nail in the coffin of our "the dates mean something" theory, at least for the different dates in April.  

No, I'm sure that dude is just laughing his invisible head off.  "I don't need to condemn grad students to hell.  They do it to themselves!"

I'd argue that it means nothing for the dates in general, if they don't know who won then why would updates on their system indicate winners?

Edited by NDSEG_throwaway

Just now, NDSEG_throwaway said:

I'd argue that it means nothing for the dates in general, if they don't know who won then why would they be updating the decisions?

Good question.  Maybe they know the finalists and are getting every finalist set up so that they can easily activate the acceptance forms for whoever the DoD picks?  It's what I would do if I didn't know who actually won.  Also, this is taken with a grain of salt because we don't know the veracity of alcoholistic's report (no offense), or whether SysPlus is just covering their asses by blaming the DoD for their own delays.

Just now, OhTheStress said:

Good question.  Maybe they know the finalists and are getting every finalist set up so that they can easily activate the acceptance forms for whoever the DoD picks?  It's what I would do if I didn't know who actually won.  Also, this is taken with a grain of salt because we don't know the veracity of alcoholistic's report (no offense), or whether SysPlus is just covering their asses by blaming the DoD for their own delays.

We'll find out.....eventually!

Us waiting in 100 years -> ?

1 minute ago, OhTheStress said:

Totally understand. If someone wants a cc, I can send. just pm me an email.

Needless to say, I don't really buy SysPlus' argument. I called them a little over a week ago and they said that all of the agencies made their decisions following the timeline they set in September (i.e. COVID had not affected anything). Furthermore, earlier in the thread someone posted that AFRL had made all of their decisions in March.

What a mess.

Edited by cri3times

Just now, cri3times said:

Needless to say, I don't really buy SysPlus' argument. I called them a little over a week ago and they said that all of the agencies made their decisions following the timeline they set in September (i.e. COVID had not affected anything). Furthermore, earlier in the thread someone posted that AFRL at least had made all of their decisions in March.

What a mess.

Someone else could theoretically email them and call them out on this

Based on what I saw here

http://www.oasdre-hbcumiworkshop.com/2019_presentations/07-Wisecarver_Robinson_HBCU_Workshop_with_AFOSR_overview.pdf

on slide 36 it says that the fellowship class is announced on May 4th.

So if they need 14 days of buffer, the last day they would send out emails is next Monday.

We may have a bit of a wait still.

1 minute ago, StPolarBear said:

Based on what I saw here

http://www.oasdre-hbcumiworkshop.com/2019_presentations/07-Wisecarver_Robinson_HBCU_Workshop_with_AFOSR_overview.pdf

So if they need 14 days of buffer, the last day they would send out emails is next Monday.

That says it'd be publicly announced May 4th, but the awards would be sent to recipients on March 20th which has long passed. Regardless, I think it's safe to say that the pandemic has severely delayed this fellowship's timeline and we will probably be waiting much longer than anticipated. I'm gonna go play some Overwatch to get my mind off of things.

3 minutes ago, StPolarBear said:

Based on what I saw here

It says "NDSEG DoD 2020 Fellowship Class Awards Sent to Recipients" march 20th. May 4th seems to be public announcement after accepts/rejects from recipients, etc.

Just now, SomGuy13 said:

It says "NDSEG DoD 2020 Fellowship Class Awards Sent to Recipients" march 20th. May 4th seems to be public announcement after accepts/rejects from recipients, etc.

Right. Im just focusing on the public announcement date, assuming the other stuff has been delayed.

They give people a 14 day buffer to accept/decline, no?

6 minutes ago, StPolarBear said:

Based on what I saw here

That is a gold mine!  I'd buy you a beer if I could.

image.png