NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Most likely the dates do mean something, and a more recent date is probably a good sign; however, I don't know if we can determine how. I didn't look at my application until a few weeks ago, so I have no idea if anything changed in December/January. Maybe the people who have 6/7 didn't look before that and may or may not have had an update on the 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, vernigan said:

Most likely the dates do mean something, and a more recent date is probably a good sign; however, I don't know if we can determine how. I didn't look at my application until a few weeks ago, so I have no idea if anything changed in December/January. Maybe the people who have 6/7 didn't look before that and may or may not have had an update on the 3rd. 

There's only one person w 4/6 AND 4/7 that didn't have a 4/3 so it could just be that they didn't check, but it's also just 1 

I just found out that I didn't get it. I'm really disappointed because I had such a good application. I was published twice as an undergrad, and have a nearly perfect GPA. WHAT DO THEY WANT FROM ME? 

i'm just pissed that I spent so much time on my application, and really honed it to be as good as possible, and it was all for nothing. I guess I can apply to other things, but grad school would be so much easier with secure funding. Now I am going to probably have to TA next year. 

I hope the best for everyone else on here, and I am grateful for the information that has been shared along the way. I've been a full time lurker until now, but I just can't believe that I didn't get it.

5 minutes ago, whyndsegwhy said:

I am not entirely sure what to make of this information. Makes no sense that they would selectively inform some awardees, some alternates, and some denials, without informing the entirety of the application class...

If they are just pranks, not necessarily appreciated given the general anxiety of the forum...

like, I guess, on the one hand we're all definitely really wound up on this one fellowship and we probably shouldn't be this aggressive over NDSEG, but, on the other hand, I'm sure everyone worked super ducking hard on their application and it's sort of a crazy world we're in right now, and tbh up until this point, I feel like people have been really decent on this forum. Honestly, I actually do appreciate this sense of solidarity from all the other people who are equally as anxious. I didn't really care that much about NSF, but I really wanted NDSEG and put a lot into this application and I can't make my peace without getting a decision and it's pretty shitty that some people are shitposting. Objectively, yeah we're taking this way too seriously, but it's definitely an emotional process and of course we care.

1 hour ago, Date_watcher20 said:

I just found out that I didn't get it. I'm really disappointed because I had such a good application. I was published twice as an undergrad, and have a nearly perfect GPA. WHAT DO THEY WANT FROM ME? 

i'm just pissed that I spent so much time on my application, and really honed it to be as good as possible, and it was all for nothing. I guess I can apply to other things, but grad school would be so much easier with secure funding. Now I am going to probably have to TA next year. 

I hope the best for everyone else on here, and I am grateful for the information that has been shared along the way. I've been a full time lurker until now, but I just can't believe that I didn't get it.

I'll bite: can you elaborate more on how you found out? Screenshots?

5 minutes ago, LongtimeLurker97 said:

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!
IGNORE MY POST COUNT AND JOIN DATE I AM DEFINITELY A REAL ACCOUNT THAT GOT THE NDSEGs
I DEFINITELY WENT TO COLLEGE AND KNOW WHAT THIS AWARD IS ABOUT

If you highlight this post you can see this text was in white font. We are definitely being trolled.

Super not appreciated. How bored do you have to be to troll worried grad students?

Just now, fishandfreckles said:

If you highlight this post you can see this text was in white font. We are definitely being trolled.

Super not appreciated. How bored do you have to be to troll worried grad students?

good point, such a shitpost

Just now, BCHGang said:

I did get a small chuckle out of the trolls, but have to be honest, it was bad in taste. Some of people's graduate decisions do rest on the outcome of winning the fellowship. Never a good idea to kick someone when they're down or stressed. No need to bring the trolling cesspool here.

Agreed. I laughed a bit at the first one, but the next few just stressed me out - and I can't imagine being in a situation where my living arrangements and life for the next 2+ years depended on this.

I move that any trolls with December updates be summarily expelled from ~DecemberGang~