NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

huh it seems like all AFRL "Computer and Computational Science" people have only December updates. Do they just hate this discipline or maybe they are like the last to make decisions or we just happened to have only capture people who didn't make it past the first round? Also I thought we were only allowed to submit one application? Seems like Lurker is working on several different PhDs, so I guess it makes sense that they were allowed to submit multiple applications.

Also, it wouldn't really make sense to have 8x more alternates than awardees, and if the 6th is the awardee dates, then the 7th would probably be alternates.  I really should put this much thought into my homework ?

Just now, BCHGang said:

Given that fewer people applied to ONR, could this be plausible?

Yeah, it kind of sucks waiting. At least you got an update though: I'm stuck before Christmas ! 

For ONR, plausible, but so far we have no AFRL applicants with a 6th update only, and with 20 of them, at a historic 5% acceptance rate overall, we should have one, or two if the branch trend holds.

2 minutes ago, GradNt said:

Seems like Lurker is working on several different PhDs

?? I'll take the bait. They are people who view the thread but don't participate. Hence "Lurker" ? 

Edited by BCHGang

2 minutes ago, GIIC said:

Has anyone thought of calling sysplus themselves? Maybe they have an explanation for these dates? Or maybe that was who was originally called?

Yes, it has been tried.  The official line is that the dates are meaningless.

Watch as @jjvamd47 with the update in January actually is the only one on the thread to win.  All of our collective minds would simultaneously explode.

Edited by OhTheStress

5 minutes ago, OhTheStress said:

Yes, it has been tried.  The official line is that the dates are meaningless.

Watch as @jjvamd47 with the update in January actually is the only one on the thread to win.  All of our collective minds would simultaneously explode.

We could all go tweet at them. lol 

Just now, 3st3rb said:

I think a couple years ago the awardee/alternate list was really skewed with like 3x more alternates than awardees. 

Why would they ever pick that many alternates? This is one of the more selective, and definitely one of the highest paying, fellowships out there.  I can't imagine many people will turn it down.  Heck, if I had gotten the GRFP and this, I'd take this in a heartbeat (although some others may have different opinions).  

I think the dates mean nothing. I had trouble with the application deleting half my stuff very very early on. So I emailed them and some guy told me the software does bizarre stuff and to get used to it. I know someone else in my position who won the GRFP with an october update and nothing else so I'm inclined to believe that this is a Rorschach test for the unsuspecting.

Edited by Metals_123

Just now, GIIC said:

So, dates may be meaningless...what about the color of “Under Evaluation?”...because I may be going crazy but I thought mine used to be red but now it’s like yellow. ?

Okay im not going to lie, I swear it changed from red to bright gold too.

Edited by Metals_123

6 minutes ago, OhTheStress said:

Why would they ever pick that many alternates? This is one of the more selective, and definitely one of the highest paying, fellowships out there.  I can't imagine many people will turn it down.  Heck, if I had gotten the GRFP and this, I'd take this in a heartbeat (although some others may have different opinions).  

I think it was funding related. The DoD increased spending in the program but made changes to it such that the price per student went way up. It was a whole thing. They planned on 200 and then awarded 69. There's a reddit about it. 

6 minutes ago, Metals_123 said:

I think the dates mean nothing. I had trouble with the application deleting half my stuff very very early on. So I emailed them and some guy told me the software does bizarre stuff and to get used to it. I know someone else in my position who won the GRFP with an october update and nothing else so I'm inclined to believe that this is a Rorschach test for the unsuspecting.

I agree with this. The application was super wonky. For example, I kept getting errors when trying to save my proposal section and had to call sysplus and it took them forever to figure out that the title of the BAA was longer than permitted, even though the box allowed me to fill in that much and the error didn't note that that was the problem. Also the GPA thing where A+ counts as a 4.0? My gpa was above 4.0 and so now there is a discrepancy between my transcripts and application. I applied last year too and it was managed by a different company and they actually used f*kkn surveymonkey for the application lol.