Critical Language Scholarship 2020 Applicants

Relly

17 hours ago, Umenohana said:

Oh that is good news! My impatience got the best of me and I emailed them a few hours ago as well. In addition to the timeline question, I asked if it is possible anything may be cancelled after finalist notifications are sent out. 

It's strange how they told you "by early March." Does that mean by the beginning of March? Or sometime in the first week of March? I know it's not a huge difference, but many of us are applying for other summer opportunities, so having a peace of mind ASAP would be nice.

Our year it was the first of March. With everything going on I wouldn’t be surprised if they waited that long or longer due to changes in country assignments. 

1 hour ago, marizel said:

Also an alternate for Urdu! In a weird place right now between feeling fortunate to have made it this far but uneasy in waiting to see if I can become a finalist. I've the same question ^

Alternate for Japanese here!

I know the chances are not too high for any language, but there are at least a few alternates who usually get moved up. Sometimes within a few weeks, but often as late as mid-April. What I'm more curious about is how many alternates there are compared to recipients/non-recipients. Some alternates will move up, but how large is that pool? Obviously its' different depending on language, but we can only guess.

Alternate for Russian again.

Unlike last year, however, I'm not upset. I'm currently studying abroad in Moscow and CLS would have conflicted with my current program (thus having me make the really tough decision to leave my current program). I won't mind being moved up, but I am at peace with being an alternate again.

Congrats to all the finalists and good luck to all the other alternates! And chin-up to those who didn't make it this year. I implore you to keep trying while you can and don't let one rejection keep you from following your dreams (this coming from a small town, lower-class gal who is out of the country for the first time in her life -- and in Moscow of all places).

3 hours ago, Relly said:

Alternate for Russian again.

Unlike last year, however, I'm not upset. I'm currently studying abroad in Moscow and CLS would have conflicted with my current program (thus having me make the really tough decision to leave my current program). I won't mind being moved up, but I am at peace with being an alternate again.

Congrats to all the finalists and good luck to all the other alternates! And chin-up to those who didn't make it this year. I implore you to keep trying while you can and don't let one rejection keep you from following your dreams (this coming from a small town, lower-class gal who is out of the country for the first time in her life -- and in Moscow of all places).

Hey, I'm also currently in Moscow! What program are you in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm with American Councils.

I found this quote regarding alternates from 2017. Two people said this is how it works.

• So the alternate selection process works in this manner. Since you are an alternate for Arabic, (and the level you applied for matters too), they basically chose you as an alternate and lined you up behind someone or someones who applied for both Arabic and at the same level as you. They also look to replace people of similar backgrounds. Diversity is the buzz word that sums it up best I suppose. Someone like you in certain ways. If one of those people drops out, the ones you are lined up behind, they'll reach out to the alternates.

Also, apparently alternates may be notified in waves. At least the first round of those who get bumped up may be notified all together. That year in was over a week after the accept/decline deadline. I don't know if I should go crazy looking more into what to expect as an alternate or just forget about the whole thing and hopefully get some nice news within the next few months.

6 hours ago, yallabye said:

Hey, I'm also currently in Moscow! What program are you in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm with American Councils.

I'm doing an independent thing at MGIMO right now! I'm interested in getting my master's there and thought doing a Russian language program there would help me get a feel for the university while also help me improve my Russian. It was sort of a graduation present to myself after saving up over the years. Where are you currently?

Edited by Relly

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as of this morning, CLS 2020 is cancelled due to COVID-19. Finalists and alternates for this year are only allowed a chance to reapply next cycle, rather than guaranteed a spot.

As a finalist, I'm pretty upset, to put it mildly. It was my second year applying, and next year will be my third, but I guess that's just the way the dice rolls. Good luck to everyone should they choose to reapply, or with whatever endeavors they're pursuing instead.

2 minutes ago, sutures said:

Well, as of this morning, CLS 2020 is cancelled due to COVID-19. Finalists and alternates for this year are only allowed a chance to reapply next cycle, rather than guaranteed a spot.

As a finalist, I'm pretty upset, to put it mildly. It was my second year applying, and next year will be my third, but I guess that's just the way the dice rolls. Good luck to everyone should they choose to reapply, or with whatever endeavors they're pursuing instead.

Same here. I was hoping that they would have waited a bit longer before making any concrete decisions since the programs aren't for at least another three months. I would like to think that although they cannot guarantee us a slot during the next application cycle, we will be allotted some degree of extra consideration.

Also, to all my finalists out there: we have already won this award and it deserves a slot on all of our resumes and CV's regardless of the current situation. Stay strong everyone!

• 5 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 4:00 PM, jujubea said:

Hi there - can I ask folks on this thread who were accepted or put on finalist lists, who wrote your letters of recommendation? Thanks! 

Mine were always professors, but it could easily be a supervisor of some kind. The important thing is that they know you well and can speak to your character and strengths, especially as it relates to CLS goals and selection criteria.