Something That Pisses Me Off

LiteratureMajor

Disclaimer: This MAY be regarded as a rant, and DEFINITELY contains colorful language.

A university's (whose name I shouldn't reveal so I reserve the right to refer to them as Douche Bag University) graduate admissions office and the department to which I was applying have just pissed me off royally. The program's faculty essentially sold me on their program, wooed me with syllabi and topics of things I could study while attending, and the program director even went as far as to tell me that their PhD program is "perfect" for me. Okay, I applied in January. In February the department put me through fucking hoops, asking for EXTRA materials that were not requested in the application. That's Fuck You Number 1. I sacrificed the time and expense to do this. In March, what do you know, the school tells me that despite the fact that they swore up and down that my application was complete a month ago they were missing a document. That's Fuck You Number 2. So yes, I jumped through those hoops to get them this document and they e-mailed me stating that the application was complete. Hmm, but on the online application status it was changed from Complete to Incomplete. Finally, in April I get sick of seeing the "Incomplete" status and ask the graduate admissions department for an explanation. I find out that the English department forgot about the application that they put me through hell for. And how do they respond? By re-fucking-jecting me FIVE minutes later. That's Fuck You Number 3.

Enjoy the 80 bucks I spent on this shit, Douche Bag University.

Like I said, I'm pissed. I don't appreciate being handled this way and this is me being polite.

So has anyone else been put through situations like this, and should I even bother trying to express my sentiments to this school (fine, without the profanity)?

Disclaimer: This MAY be regarded as a rant, and DEFINITELY contains colorful language.

A university's (whose name I shouldn't reveal so I reserve the right to refer to them as Douche Bag University) graduate admissions office and the department to which I was applying have just pissed me off royally. The program's faculty essentially sold me on their program, wooed me with syllabi and topics of things I could study while attending, and the program director even went as far as to tell me that their PhD program is "perfect" for me. Okay, I applied in January. In February the department put me through fucking hoops, asking for EXTRA materials that were not requested in the application. That's Fuck You Number 1. I sacrificed the time and expense to do this. In March, what do you know, the school tells me that despite the fact that they swore up and down that my application was complete a month ago they were missing a document. That's Fuck You Number 2. So yes, I jumped through those hoops to get them this document and they e-mailed me stating that the application was complete. Hmm, but on the online application status it was changed from Complete to Incomplete. Finally, in April I get sick of seeing the "Incomplete" status and ask the graduate admissions department for an explanation. I find out that the English department forgot about the application that they put me through hell for. And how do they respond? By re-fucking-jecting me FIVE minutes later. That's Fuck You Number 3.

Like I said, I'm pissed. I don't appreciate being handled this way and this is me being polite.

So has anyone else been put through situations like this, and should I even bother trying to express my sentiments to this school (fine, without the profanity)?

Do you have any proof that they forgot about the application? Perhaps you could lobby to have your application looked over again in light of that information?

I can't imagine that you'd want to attend there at this point, considering your treatment but in case you would.. it might be worth pursuing. Really, if they forgot about it, and are rejecting you because of that, they should at least offer you the 80 back.

Wow that does suck! That school sounds unorganized to me, it's probably a good thing you didn't get in there! I myself have had a few bad experiences through this process as well.

The first blow came when I was sent an false acceptance letter by a school. They later sent me a short e-mail saying that it was a mistake and my name has been removed from their list...thanks <_<! I wrote the president of the school complaining and was then offered a spot...but I declined, their faculty doesn't seem to be very friendly, I'm just completely turned off.

My second blow came when I had an interview for another school. It went great (At least I thought!). They told me my SOP was on of the best they received. They went on to tell me how my interest fit theirs "to a T!" So naturally I thought I was as good as gold, especially at the end when they shook my hand and told me I was a "very strong candidate," and I can expect a phone call April 1. Imagine my surprise when April 1st came and went...and I didn't receive one! A couple of days later, however, I received an e-mail stating I was WAITLISTED!!! I'm getting really annoyed with the whole application process :angry:.

My first interview experience was a horror. The only question I was asked was "is there anything else you want to tell me outside the application?" and then I was told he has no clue why my file is on his list, and his research group is very narrow-focused, and given my (theory) background there isn't much use for me.

Well, the thing is, I didn't even apply to his research group. It was obvious from his tone that he doesn't want to waste more time interviewing me. After 1.5 hours of anxiously waiting for the phone call, the interview conversation fell short.

Two weeks later, a week prior to the campus visit day, I inquired the admission via email about my admission status. I was told that since I am not invited to the campus visit day, I am not officially admitted; however, they are not supposed to tell me this but I am unofficially waitlisted.

Naturally, I wrote this school off from my list. Not going even if I get in.

Edited by appliqed

I've put a lot of stock in how schools have treated me in general. I was in a lucky position of having multiple schools to choose from and I chose the school that treated me the best - the one that answered all of my questions promptly, responded thoughtfully to anything I sent them, took the initiative to call, etc.

But there were two schools on my list that I rejected straight up pretty much due to their general asshattery. Never answering questions, never talking to me directly, ignoring me once they realised they couldn't match the financial offers I got elsewhere, etc. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. A lot of schools screw themselves out of their accepted applicants.

That's jacked up. The one university that I'm waiting on and applied to in January still has my app listed as incomplete. I've just given up on them. All of the materials that couldn't be completed online were sent in one package (and it was received by them 3 days after sending it b/c I had delivery confirmation). They said they received some of the documents and the others they have not received. Ummmm how??? They were all together! Every time I emailed them I received a generic response that due to large volume of applicants it would take longer for applications to show as complete. I just decided not to even try resending the documents that they show as not received. Based on their copy and pasted replies I'm just not even interested in attending. Definite $80 waste so I understand. However, it just seems like they wasted the O.P's time...

I've put a lot of stock in how schools have treated me in general. I was in a lucky position of having multiple schools to choose from and I chose the school that treated me the best - the one that answered all of my questions promptly, responded thoughtfully to anything I sent them, took the initiative to call, etc.

But there were two schools on my list that I rejected straight up pretty much due to their general asshattery. Never answering questions, never talking to me directly, ignoring me once they realised they couldn't match the financial offers I got elsewhere, etc. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. A lot of schools screw themselves out of their accepted applicants.

Exactly... I wonder if schools forget this, because they find themselves in a position of power. But if I sent you a SOP that you could clearly tell was a form that I used for every school, sent in the least amount of information/effort possible in my application, and never responded to your email inquiries, would you want me as a student? Probably not... So why when you treat me that way would I want you as a school? I have no guarantee that you'll change when I get there.

I hate hearing about schools that treat their applicants poorly-- what's the point of being rude to your future students? I am just as frustrated as you are, after I recently attended The Worst Interview Ever. I was really excited to go because it was my top choice school and (what I thought was) a great fit for me. The interviewers were incredibly condescending and aggressive, and kept pressuring me to change my answers. It was a group interview, and they didn't ask any questions directly relevent to the program-- only very personal questions about each person. There was SO much tension in the room, and a general feeling of competition between the interviewees to give a better and more impressive answer than the last person. After I sent a polite followup email, the interviewer replied by simply stating he wished me luck at [name of competitor's school]. I doubt I will get in now, but I could never imagine going to a school that treated me so poorly.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I attended a conference where XYZ University had a HUGE presence. I went out of my way to meet with their professors, to stop by the booth, to email people etc. They must have dropped 100K EASILY on the XYZ Uni promo party (booze booze booze)they held at the conference I attended. I applied (since their grad director asked our grad diretor to have kids from my school apply there). I spent $65 on the app, $20 on GRE scores and hours upon hours on a personal statement. I got references etc. I kept checking online and their website said "applications reach an all time high, up 15% from last year." THEN I find out I am admitted (only after I called them). YAY! Oh wait, due to LACK OF $$$ this year they only have one (1) funding package to offer. So 10 students were accepted but only ONE PERSON got funding. UM....what the heck? I was furious!!! They dropped close to 100K at a conference trying to make themselves look like they could bat with the big league only to screw the applicants in the end. That 100K could have provided 5 funding packages. I was, and am, furious. I feel like I have been played.

Like I said, I'm pissed. I don't appreciate being handled this way and this is me being polite. Also had a Uni that never told me I was rejected...until I called and heard this week...they lied and told me a rejection letter had been sent a month ago. No, sorry. Once they have your $$ they wouldn't give 2 @#$%'s what happens to you.

Sidenote--I am trying to get an article published. Submitted it to ABC Journal and was rejected. Got feedback from the editors...the feedback was NOT FOR MY ESSAY....it pertained to someone else's submission entirely!!!! I told them this and their reaction was 'oh sorry...but we are standing byt he reviewers and even though the comments are not about your submission they bear some merit." What the Heck?

In my case, there was also some confusion concerning my application from one of the schools. At the end of March, I asked about my application status and was told that they had sent me an e-mail on Feb. 5th telling me that my sample paper was missing. I never got that e-mail. It was the end of March and, therefore too late in the game, but I sent my sample paper again, just in case, telling this person that I hoped it wasn't too late for me. Never got a reply. A week later I asked this person if I should expect a decision from the school or if I had already been rejected due to my incomplete application. The answer was that they were reviewing it that week and that I should contact someone else should I have more questions.

Well, that's what I did. I sent an e-mail on Sunday evening and on Monday I got an e-mail saying that I was not accepted at the school. So, well, since I was to hear from this school to make my decision, I contacted another school and told them I accepted their offer (a really good one, BTW). But, to my surprise, yesterday I received an e-mail from the same person who told me that I was not accepted, telling me that he made a mistake and that I am actually accepted but that they didn't have funding for me at the moment.

Oh, well, too bad, but I'm heading somewhere else.

But, wait, that's not all. Yesterday evening, a professor called me to tell me that I am accepted and... with full funding. blink.gif

Seriously? In two days I've been rejected, accepted without funding and accepted with funding. And after making me wait for months (I got the e-mails exactly 5 months after applying) they give me until this Friday (that is 3 days) to make a decision.

Well, I simply don't have words. Now the problem will be to tell my mum that I'm sticking to my decision of attending the other program (she is obsessed with the idea of me going to this school that rejected/accepted me, even when it's because it's one flight closer from home, it's in the East Coast instead of the Midwest, therefore more renown and better, and the Linguistics department is one of the best - doesn't really care if my degree would be from another department).

Do you have any proof that they forgot about the application? Perhaps you could lobby to have your application looked over again in light of that information?

I can't imagine that you'd want to attend there at this point, considering your treatment but in case you would.. it might be worth pursuing. Really, if they forgot about it, and are rejecting you because of that, they should at least offer you the 80 back.

Thank you for your sage advice, modernity. After I stopped spewing profanity I contacted the school, gave a rundown of what happened and... was approved for a refund. Nevertheless, there is no excuse for such douche-bagosity.

Wow that does suck! That school sounds unorganized to me, it's probably a good thing you didn't get in there! I myself have had a few bad experiences through this process as well.

The first blow came when I was sent an false acceptance letter by a school. They later sent me a short e-mail saying that it was a mistake and my name has been removed from their list...thanks <_<! I wrote the president of the school complaining and was then offered a spot...but I declined, their faculty doesn't seem to be very friendly, I'm just completely turned off.

My second blow came when I had an interview for another school. It went great (At least I thought!). They told me my SOP was on of the best they received. They went on to tell me how my interest fit theirs "to a T!" So naturally I thought I was as good as gold, especially at the end when they shook my hand and told me I was a "very strong candidate," and I can expect a phone call April 1. Imagine my surprise when April 1st came and went...and I didn't receive one! A couple of days later, however, I received an e-mail stating I was WAITLISTED!!! I'm getting really annoyed with the whole application process :angry:.

This happened to me as well. Unfortunately, the waitlist is my only hope for PhD study this round. I would rather give birth without an epidural than go through this process again.

In my case, there was also some confusion concerning my application from one of the schools. At the end of March, I asked about my application status and was told that they had sent me an e-mail on Feb. 5th telling me that my sample paper was missing. I never got that e-mail. It was the end of March and, therefore too late in the game, but I sent my sample paper again, just in case, telling this person that I hoped it wasn't too late for me. Never got a reply. A week later I asked this person if I should expect a decision from the school or if I had already been rejected due to my incomplete application. The answer was that they were reviewing it that week and that I should contact someone else should I have more questions.

Well, that's what I did. I sent an e-mail on Sunday evening and on Monday I got an e-mail saying that I was not accepted at the school. So, well, since I was to hear from this school to make my decision, I contacted another school and told them I accepted their offer (a really good one, BTW). But, to my surprise, yesterday I received an e-mail from the same person who told me that I was not accepted, telling me that he made a mistake and that I am actually accepted but that they didn't have funding for me at the moment.

But, wait, that's not all. Yesterday evening, a professor called me to tell me that I am accepted and... with full funding. blink.gif

Seriously? In two days I've been rejected, accepted without funding and accepted with funding. And after making me wait for months (I got the e-mails exactly 5 months after applying) they give me until this Friday (that is 3 days) to make a decision.

Well, I simply don't have words. Now the problem will be to tell my mum that I'm sticking to my decision of attending the other program (she is obsessed with the idea of me going to this school that rejected/accepted me, even when it's because it's one flight closer from home, it's in the East Coast instead of the Midwest, therefore more renown and better, and the Linguistics department is one of the best - doesn't really care if my degree would be from another department).

After the way University of Can't-Make-Up-Our-Mind-About-Your-Admission treated you, I believe you are making the best decision in sticking to your guns. The admissions roller coaster is probably a preview of how life would be for you if you committed to five-plus years in their program. I'm very sorry this happened to you. You certainly don't deserve this kind of treatment. No applicant does. It's inexcusable.

Sidenote--I am trying to get an article published. Submitted it to ABC Journal and was rejected. Got feedback from the editors...the feedback was NOT FOR MY ESSAY....it pertained to someone else's submission entirely!!!! I told them this and their reaction was 'oh sorry...but we are standing byt he reviewers and even though the comments are not about your submission they bear some merit." What the Heck?

"even though the comments are not about your submission they bear some merit"... WTF? I am surprised they actually had the balls to say something so ridiculous.

Thank you for your sage advice, modernity. After I stopped spewing profanity I contacted the school, gave a rundown of what happened and... was approved for a refund. Nevertheless, there is no excuse for such douche-bagosity.

Glad to hear you got your money back!! Hopefully you can treat yourself to something with it to make up for the painful process they put you through.

@Bumblebee, is the school you are talking about UMass Amherst? Who was the POI?

I've dealt with worse. Try being admitted to a school, being strung along for a year and lied to by the department. Then try having your advisor fired, followed by everyone on campus swearing up and down that he was the ONLY person to see your application and admit you to the school. Meanwhile you're told constantly that you really shouldn't have been admitted to the program. To top it off, you pay $30,000 for two years of schooling only to find out that you may be kicked out at the end of this year with no hope of finishing your degree due to what happened there that was out of your control. In addition, gaining admission elsewhere means that you have to start over, and gaining admission nowhere means that you are pretty much through in graduate studies.

Forgetting an application like you've said you were told isn't a giant deal. Yes, you paid $80 for the application, however any rejections you also get also cost that much. All in all, it's par for the course at some points and you always have next year to try again with them and/or any other program. I would say that it is in your best interest to say nothing to them.

I've dealt with worse. Try being admitted to a school, being strung along for a year and lied to by the department. Then try having your advisor fired, followed by everyone on campus swearing up and down that he was the ONLY person to see your application and admit you to the school. Meanwhile you're told constantly that you really shouldn't have been admitted to the program. To top it off, you pay $30,000 for two years of schooling only to find out that you may be kicked out at the end of this year with no hope of finishing your degree due to what happened there that was out of your control. In addition, gaining admission elsewhere means that you have to start over, and gaining admission nowhere means that you are pretty much through in graduate studies.

Forgetting an application like you've said you were told isn't a giant deal. Yes, you paid $80 for the application, however any rejections you also get also cost that much. All in all, it's par for the course at some points and you always have next year to try again with them and/or any other program. I would say that it is in your best interest to say nothing to them.

OMG that is horrible! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that but I guess it was for the better since I'm sure you don't like being at a school constantly doubting your merit so it's their loss. It makes you think, even if you get accepted into a school, maybe there will be other factors in place that might make us end up in your situation as well. Ahhh... now I'm all paranoid :unsure:

But seriously good luck to you SublimeDelusions, you deserved to be in a better school than your current one.

I know one thing: if they really did forget my app, and I paid with a credit card, I would call and dispute the charge as one big F U back. If I sent a check, I'd write the director of the program (not the department) and ask for my $80 back (I'd also CC the Provost or President or whoever).

EDIT: Just saw yo got your money back. Still, I would still have done what I said above ;)

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

Might be wise to meet with a lawyer on that one...

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

Might be wise to meet with a lawyer on that one...

I covered that one months back. I had a thread about it in the "officially grads" section. Lawyering up is a bad idea in that 1) it may screw me over in getting into other potential schools, and 2) it's a state school so no lawyer will consider going against them.

So it's basically a "close your eyes and think of England" situation. Not hearing anything positive back from schools yet doesn't help the matter. If I'm lucky, somewhere takes me. This late in the game, I'm not so sure. If I don't hear back, then I'm going to be in a bit of trouble and I'll need to start looking for another career.

Frankly, I'm really just upset that being pulled into this situation may have ended my professional career, especially since there's not really a way for me to apply again after this year. Hooray for last-ditch efforts!

Edited by SublimeDelusions