MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hmmm I'm wondering for those of us who haven't heard- maybe it has something to do with our concentration? 

I applied Clinical track with a focus on Children, Youth, and Families...anybody share the same? 

I submitted 11/27 and was told yesterday that I was in final stages of review and would hear soon- my stomach has been in knots. 

In the meantime- CONGRATS TO EVERYBODY! Living vicariously through your relief ;)

2 minutes ago, Large Iced Coffee said:

Hmmm I'm wondering for those of us who haven't heard- maybe it has something to do with our concentration? 

I applied Clinical track with a focus on Children, Youth, and Families...anybody share the same? 

I submitted 11/27 and was told yesterday that I was in final stages of review and would hear soon- my stomach has been in knots. 

In the meantime- CONGRATS TO EVERYBODY! Living vicariously through your relief ;)

I also applied to the same track and focus as you!

14 minutes ago, Large Iced Coffee said:

I have the same one as Zayah so I'm not sure that's it. 

Edit: International social work

Edited by madisonc7

9 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

I also applied to the same track and focus as you!

Ah, are you also still waiting?

What type of work are you interested in doing? 

1 minute ago, carson.perkins said:

exact same as both of you!

Okay maybe we're onto something guys...are we all still waiting? LOL. I am definitely reading into this but I am holding onto as much hope as I can 

Just now, Large Iced Coffee said:

Ah, are you also still waiting?

What type of work are you interested in doing? 

Yes, I'm still waiting. I'm interested in doing intervention work with children who have experienced trauma. What about you?

Me too! I want to be a school social worker in vulnerable, urban communities to promote clinically-proven strength and resiliency based interventions ? 

I would like to eventually promote from a policy level so I am interested in the dual-degree M.Ed as well, but haven't applied for that aspect..waiting to see if I get in in the first place. 

19 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

I have the same one as Zayah so I'm not sure that's it. 

Edit: International social work

We're in it with you!! Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Just now, Large Iced Coffee said:

We're in it with you!! Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Fingers crossed for sure!!! It's hard to have trust in the process, but man, I hope!

1 minute ago, Large Iced Coffee said:

I also received a scholarship email today RIGHT at 5 PM PST- COME ON GUYS DONT TEASE ME LIKE THAT 

lol! I just got an email at 5 from my University saying someone was quarantined due to coronavirus at KU and i may have been in contact with them so thats dope and really adds to the fun of waiting. rock chalk ladies. 

Edited by madisonc7

5 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

lol! I just got an email at 5 from my University saying someone was quarantined due to coronavirus at KU and i may have been in contact with them so thats dope and really adds to the fun of waiting. rock chalk ladies. 

aw snap i hate email sometimes...that was definitely the wrong email at 5 lol. hopefully all is well and false alarm!

also if it makes you feel any better i'm also still waiting on columbia, seems so random at this point

37 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Awww man- stay safe and healthy!! Lots of Vitamin C...I'm sure you'll be fine :) 

Hi - y'all are all extremely impressive! Congrats to everyone who's gotten in and those who've gotten scholarships!!! ??

Wondering if anyone here applied with a GPA under 3.0? I dropped out of undergrad and took all F's a few times and my grades in general are pretty variable. In undergrad I worked full-time off-campus and never anticipated grad school so just did what I needed to graduate. Very different phase of my life now, but concerned unless i go to a community college I wont get in anywhere. I have 5 years of high-level management in sports consulting for a company in NYC but pivoted in 2018 and ended up doing a year of AmeriCorps at an elementary school. The beginning of this year I worked at the school in a SPED program for kids with social emotional challenges... 

Anyways, my GPA is like a 2.6 in Communication from a Wisco state school so as I'm reading all your strong candidacies I'm feeling a little alien here. But I'm applying to some top 20 schools and wanted to put this post out there in case there anyone like me thinking - who are these extremely successful people and are all applicants like this!?! - hahahah 

Just wanted to be candid as a non-traditional applicant and give a slightly different perspective here :)

Congrats again and good luck to all! 

7 hours ago, HannahJoy said:

I just got accepted into the Indiana University School of Social Work at IUPUI! I know it's not relevant to 99% of you, but thought I would share anyways. :) No financial aid info yet. Still waiting on UIC fin aid too. 

I also did! I asked IUPUI for financial aid info and they said they give out scholarships the first few weeks of the fall academic year, which I thought was odd. 

On 1/27/2020 at 3:44 PM, JoRey said:

I have applied to the UofMich for fall 2020. I have just scheduled an interview due to my lower GPA. I am wanting to make sure that I am able to explain my GPA being so low. Has anyone had an interview for an MSW? I am trying to figure out what kind of questions I should prepare to answer? Any tips and suggest would be greatly appreciated. 

I interviewed mid-January and was told of my decision (waitlist) yesterday. 

It's pretty chill. It feels like any job interview: what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses, why UMich, describe a time you overcame something, where you want to do field placements, what are your interests in social work, where do you see yourself in 5 years. Then they kind of just went down the list of my volunteer experience and asked about the context of all of them.

3 hours ago, UnderAchiever4 said:

Hi - y'all are all extremely impressive! Congrats to everyone who's gotten in and those who've gotten scholarships!!! ??

Wondering if anyone here applied with a GPA under 3.0? I dropped out of undergrad and took all F's a few times and my grades in general are pretty variable. In undergrad I worked full-time off-campus and never anticipated grad school so just did what I needed to graduate. Very different phase of my life now, but concerned unless i go to a community college I wont get in anywhere. I have 5 years of high-level management in sports consulting for a company in NYC but pivoted in 2018 and ended up doing a year of AmeriCorps at an elementary school. The beginning of this year I worked at the school in a SPED program for kids with social emotional challenges... 

Anyways, my GPA is like a 2.6 in Communication from a Wisco state school so as I'm reading all your strong candidacies I'm feeling a little alien here. But I'm applying to some top 20 schools and wanted to put this post out there in case there anyone like me thinking - who are these extremely successful people and are all applicants like this!?! - hahahah 

Just wanted to be candid as a non-traditional applicant and give a slightly different perspective here :)

Congrats again and good luck to all! 

Thanks for the candid and honest post! So here’s my honest response - take it with a grain of salt. 

So I have read in the past of success stories of candidates getting into top programs with a 2.5+. Actually some programs do not have a GPA requirement, however a 3.0 is encouraged. In those success stories I have read - the applicants did submit GRE scores to show academic aptitude in some way, (the school needs to know you can complete the program). I don’t think they‘d turn down applicants solely based on GPA, however it is a huge factor if one doesn’t have other areas they can showcase their ability on (research, experience, professional, volunteer, etc). 

Also - this is where your SOP, professional experience, and LOR’s need to be absolutely solid to help you get in some top 20 programs. If you can use your professional experience as an initial gateway for social work and somehow convey that, and what skills are transferrable, you’ll have a decent chance. I am unsure if it’s enough just to say you have consulting experience without adding value to those skills you’ve gained and how it would help you be a good social worker! I think your volunteer service will come in handy here - and be sure to tie that into your SOP. Also if your last 60 credits are higher than a 3.0 that may help you significantly. It shows an upward Trend. 

Good Luck!

6 minutes ago, Mmgaf said:

Update my CU aid email came to my spam last Thursday (one week exactly after acceptance) 

What was the title of the email, or the email address it came through?