MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

17 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

I would hope so, too, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I feel like this is a really common predicament for mid-career professionals returning to school, yet I don't see much guidance out there about it. I assume if I reach out to financial aid here or any other school they'd be able to answer it quickly and definitively.  The reason I raised it in this context is that the scholarship I received from the UMSSW was partially need-based in addition to academic performance... hence, if my need were seen as higher, maybe that scholarship could also increase. Does that make sense?

Yeah, i see what you're saying. i had submitted my fafsa fairly recently, so i was figuring that the SSW office still hadn't seen it yet. i'm in a similar situation, so if you end up getting clarity on it, please let me know! 

I got into Columbia’s online MSW program!!!! (Submitted 11/30. Application complete email from them 12/16. Notified today via email link to portal at 2:49pm Pacific)

Waiting to hear from UC Berkeley, Cal State East Bay, and San Francisco State, before I make a decision but woot woot!

Edited by fooliejulie

2 hours ago, NicoleDes said:

I'm the same concentration and c

Well then we'll most definitely be taking some of the same classes if you officially decide on BC. My mind is kind of already made up on going to BC even without hearing from BU, I just need to get my deposit money together lol 

34 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Well then we'll most definitely be taking some of the same classes if you officially decide on BC. My mind is kind of already made up on going to BC even without hearing from BU, I just need to get my deposit money together lol 

That’s awesome!! I’m really happy for you. Keep me posted on your decision! I’ll keep you updated on mine as well :)

10 hours ago, ambash99 said:

Hello everyone! 

I'm new to this forum, but I want to interact with everyone else who is feeling the same stresses of waiting as I am.

So far I've been accepted into Tulane University (safety school) and rejected from UMich (to be fair it was to be expected haha and a rejection is better than the anxiety of waiting).

One of my top choices is NYU. I completed my application December 17th. They mention on the website that it takes 3-6 weeks to make decisions. I still haven't heard back and I'm considering reaching out to check on my status. Has anyone else heard back from them yet?

I heard from NYU this week and I applied for the 1/10 deadline

On 2/4/2020 at 12:58 PM, Shuklaklakla said:

Hi Everyone!

I got accepted into USC Suzanne-Dowark and University of Denver (still waiting on Columbia). A lot of my decision is based on Financial Aid-- However both USC and Denver are saying that I wont get my package until after I enroll in their program. Are you guys hearing the same things? USC also said that they do not give grants. 

I am starting to freak out over the cost! I don't understand how you figure out what school you want to choose when you dont know how much the cost will be- It definitely is a factor! 

Did you get accepted into the online programs there? I did and am experiencing the same frustration as you in that they won't provide the financial aid information without paying the non-refundable deposits. I feel like it's a bit sneaky and not very transparent of them in helping us to make the most responsible decision possible for our futures. I don't know, just venting I guess...

21 hours ago, SMLDC said:

I would hope so, too, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I feel like this is a really common predicament for mid-career professionals returning to school, yet I don't see much guidance out there about it. I assume if I reach out to financial aid here or any other school they'd be able to answer it quickly and definitively.  The reason I raised it in this context is that the scholarship I received from the UMSSW was partially need-based in addition to academic performance... hence, if my need were seen as higher, maybe that scholarship could also increase. Does that make sense?

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I received the same offer straight out of undergrad. I'm hoping this was just an automatically generated offer based on residence and the rest will come later, but we'll see! I hope we both hear back!

12 hours ago, Mindfu1ness said:

Has anyone received their financial aid package from U Chicago?

I did receive scholarship info on my acceptance letter but not the aid package with loan information.

Hi Everyone!

I have been stalking this forum ever since I applied and even talked in here a couple of times! I just wanted to drop in and say hey and let everyone know what was going on!

I am from Florida and I am relocating to Chicago as I accepted to go to UIC. I literally applied on Dec 1st but my app was not finalized until the 2nd as I was waiting on my last LOR to come back. I was so overwhelmed because it was past the deadline date to submit but I called and they stated they extended the deadline. *whew* I got my notification via email on Dec 24th stating I was admitted! Literally best Christmas present ever. :)))) I have not received any scholarship info yet and I called the college and they stated they will not award till March. I have already been speaking with my field placement adviser to set up my internship for the 1st year. 

I am super stoked bc literally I intended to apply to three other universities (UChicago, Howard Uni & FSU) but I decided not to because I got into UIC.

Let me know if you all have any questions and congrats to everyone getting into their universities so far! :)

On 2/7/2020 at 1:17 PM, Courtneyy said:

Hey everyone! I wanted to list the MSW programs  I applied to as well as my general academic background to see the liklihood of getting accepted.

Schools I applied to ( schools with *** is my top choices):

1. Hunter College

2.Lehman College***

3. College of Staten Island***

4. Kean University***

5. Stony Brook

Academic Background:

Overall GPA (graduate in may 2020): 2.9

Psych major: 2.995

Sociology minor: 3.2

3 years of internship experience: 1 year as an RA at my current campuses dorm, one year experience interning at a high school working with at-risk students, currently working as a Peer mentor for a program on my campus where  I work with college students and help them get adjusted to college life. 

Do you guys feel that my experiences, personal statement, and recommendations can help me still get accepted into these schools even if my GPA is not as competitive??

Yes! I do believe you should be fine being admitted to the programs of your choice. Granted, I do not know the requirements for each of your schools but I had a relatively similar stats and I have been admitted. I would say MSW programs are not as rigorous when it comes to GPA requirements but you definitely need to offset it with experience or anything to counteract the lower GPA. Thankfully you have some experience working in a mental health/counseling area if that is something you are trying to pursue. 

On 12/7/2019 at 9:23 PM, SWColumbia said:

I know I am terribly late but I am pursuing the Children's and Family Route. I was originally interested in the School specialization but I spoke with my field adviser and she further explained it which made me realize I want to go the children's and family specialization. 

I got the phone call on Monday February 3rd that I was accepted into the U of Mich. Anyone that has been accepted did they email you an acceptance or did they update it on wolverine? I was also told they would follow-up with a financial aid award. how long does the financial aid email happen? 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:31 PM, SMLDC said:

Received my UMich financial aid letter this morning. Not as helpful as I was hoping ($2.5K/semester scholarship), but I think I might need to follow up with them and other schools about my FAFSA determination. The scholarship I received is said to be based on need and academic performance. I'm worried my packages are going to be off since I put in my current salary for the FAFSA but will not have that income while in school... Anyone in a similar situation and know how to think about that?

In the same email, I received a rejection for the HRSA Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care Trainees Program. No word still on the Integrated Health Scholarship or the Detroit Clinical Scholars Program, both of which I also applied for.

I got the same exact aid scholarship package from UMich, 2.5K/semester. Not nearly as generous as I had expected... Hopefully we will hear back from FAFSA soon for UMich, someone mentioned they usually send that info out mid March. Fingers crossed! Congrats on getting into UMich, go blue!