MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

This morning, I received an email from Smith College about my acceptance based on the early decision application. In the email, she shared a PDF with my proposed first-year geographic placement. I'd be placed in DC (my current home), which was my top choice. She said more admissions info, including financial aid packages, would be communicated via email and in the paper acceptance package.

Has anyone heard back from University of Michigan about any of the fellowship applications? I know the regular deadline for many of them was last week (February 1), but I assume many of us submitted early (December 1). 

55 minutes ago, IPmsw2020 said:

Man I need to vent.

Anyone just getting annoyed by this whole process? I applied CU and if they're still reviewing applications I don't understand why they wouldn't review all the priority deadline apps before releasing any decisions. I applied November 1st and am still waiting. I don't wanna be impatient and rude but ugh I purposefully tried to apply as early as I could to find out my status ASAP (and have a better shot of getting in). I know it's super immature to feel this way but it's frustrating to be waiting weeks after all of my other decisions.

I applied UMich and they contacted and wanted an interview. I interviewed and then got waitlisted. It's really bothering me that they didn't know based on my application if they wanted me, and then their final decision was "I guess we'll leave it up to fate if you get in, we could go either way." It really hurts especially since I go here for undergrad and am in the minor through the SSW. 

I'm just getting really frustrated because I read a bunch of people's stats on here and I literally could not compete due to disability. 2017 I was hospitalized due to health issues 5 different times, for a total of over a month spent in a hospital that year, and have been slowly recovering and working up to being a fully functional adult, which I have been for the past year. But I still can't overwork myself that much for my own health and wellbeing. I work 10-15 hours a week, go to school fulltime, and volunteer online for like an hour a week. I am going back to volunteering at a local homeless shelter this semester after taking last semester off to do grad school apps. I disclosed my disability on my apps as well.

I am SO happy for everyone who got in where they wanted, some of the people on this forum have truly done amazing things and clearly worked hard and deserve it. Like the world is so lucky to have y'all going into social work. Everyone here will be amazing social workers.

I hope I don't sound arrogant, I just feel frustrated with myself and my situation. I've been so frustrated with my disability all through undergrad, as I've had to give up great opportunities in order to maintain my health, and now it feels like it's greatly affecting my future in grad school. Like there's no way I can compete with able-bodied people and I'm so mad that I'm in this situation. 

Edit: Not to mention I literally was in the ER the morning of my interview with UM due to a flare-up. I got discharged at 10 am and raced to my apartment to get ready before my interview at 1pm.

Hi there!

I just wanted to say that I tot related to your message and share your concerns!!! I also struggled a lot with my health and had two surgeries during undergrad which resulted in me having to take health leaves from school in order to recover. I can only hope that they see our potential and heart and see everything we have accomplished despite our barriers. Do you by chance suffer from Endo, PCOS, PFD? I noticed u used "flare up" he he. 

1 hour ago, madisonc7 said:

You have every right to be angry and pissed. Your situation is unique in a way most of us can’t understand. It’s downright shitty how these processes work, especially with people who have struggled at different points for any reasons. Missteps are counted, and at the cost of many, regardless of whether or not it’s their fault. 
You deserve to be in any of these places as much as anyone else, if not more for pushing through. I’m sorry it’s playing out like this, and I think you know that this is not on you. 

Your feelings are absolutely valid. I’m frustrated and don’t even have a disability. 

I don't think I deserve it more than anyone else here. Looking at some of the stats it sounds like everyone here is super qualified and passionate. I really, really, appreciate your comment though. I really needed some validation today. Thank you so so so so much.

29 minutes ago, Gelibutter said:

Hi there!

I just wanted to say that I tot related to your message and share your concerns!!! I also struggled a lot with my health and had two surgeries during undergrad which resulted in me having to take health leaves from school in order to recover. I can only hope that they see our potential and heart and see everything we have accomplished despite our barriers. Do you by chance suffer from Endo, PCOS, PFD? I noticed u used "flare up" he he. 

Wow I am so sorry you had to go through 2 surgeries in undergrad, that seems extremely hard to juggle with being a college student. I really hope your applications reflect how strong you are for making it through all of those health issues. 

I have PCOS but my disability is mental health related, which via therapy and medications is finally under control (usually lol). I also had "the worst case of mono" my doctor had ever seen, so that also involved hospitalization as well lol. (I woke up in a panic attack so bad that I thought I was actually having a heart attack the day of my interview with UM). 

I have had a lot of physical health issues as well but thankfully, besides the mono, haven't really interfered with academics. I had surgery my senior year of high school and it was horrible to try and catch up with everything. I couldn't begin to even imagine trying to recover from surgery in undergrad. Let alone twice.

I don't know you and I am so proud of you. Do you have endo? Because I have heard that is absolutely brutal to manage. Regardless of what your disability is, it sounds like you have been through so much in college which is already extremely stressful by itself. Unfortunately, even if they do make an active effort to accommodate, sometimes disabilities just get in the way. As someone who has taken health leaves as well, I know how hard it is to try and manage everything and try to appear like a good candidate for grad school. Heck, it's hard enough to just try and graduate in a normal amount of time and feel like you're on the same path as your friends. Congratulations on being on the road to graduation (or if you've already graduated), that is a HUGE accomplishment of itself. The fact that you've been through all of this suffering and still come out wanting to go into a lower-paying field that is devoted to helping others, including making clients a priority over yourself, is a reflection of your character. You are so strong and you have such an amazing heart.

3 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Yeah I looked at some apartments in the city and they are very pricy lol but that's good that you are right there, won't be too much of a hassle. I actually applied to be a RA at BC , (they allowed me to go through the process before knowing if I'm admitted) so if everything works out I will do that, and same for BU so I don't have to pay rent for at least the first year, but as always I wait for the emails lol

thats awesome! Hope it works out. I just got an email to check my portal and was accepted!! Check your email

Hi all! This website was down for me for the past few days. When I was freaking out about Columbia last week, I talked to a friend of mine who was accepted there last year, and she said she found out the very end of February. So for those of you worrying, I totally sympathize with the weird timeline, but I really don't think it has any bearing on your admissions status. Rooting for y'all! 

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

thats awesome! Hope it works out. I just got an email to check my portal and was accepted!! Check your email

I just checked my portal after seeing this and I got in as well!!!  I haven't received the e-mail yet, so if anyone applied for the January deadline, check your portal!

3 minutes ago, Css1087 said:

I just checked my portal after seeing this and I got in as well!!!  I haven't received the e-mail yet, so if anyone applied for the January deadline, check your portal!

congrats!! the acceptance page the the bottom came with confetti when you clicked on it? if you're comfortable with sharing did they including scholarship $ in your letter? I'm debating asking for more but wasn't sure how to go about it? During undergrad I wrote a letter to fin aid and got a couple extra every year but thats about it

3 minutes ago, Polcc said:

congrats!! the acceptance page the the bottom came with confetti when you clicked on it? if you're comfortable with sharing did they including scholarship $ in your letter? I'm debating asking for more but wasn't sure how to go about it? During undergrad I wrote a letter to fin aid and got a couple extra every year but thats about it

I did enjoy the confetti!  I got a $10000 per year scholarship.  I've never done the asking for more thing, so I wouldn't know where to start.  If I get the nerve up, I might see if I can use this as a bargaining chip for a bigger scholarship at Pitt.

1 minute ago, Css1087 said:

I did enjoy the confetti!  I got a $10000 per year scholarship.  I've never done the asking for more thing, so I wouldn't know where to start.  If I get the nerve up, I might see if I can use this as a bargaining chip for a bigger scholarship at Pitt.

Oooh okay! I got 15,000 over all 3 semesters. Yes for sure, I've seen someone do the same thing and say I got a higher amount elsewhere but this is my top choice and I cant afford to attend, I think they emailed the dean of admissions? It won't hurt your chances since you've already been accepted but I feel u!

17 hours ago, MSW-MB said:

Hi everyone! I have been editing and critiquing MSW personal statements for a little over a year now. I started when I was completing my MSW when I realized how little support there is for us in such a highly competitive program. I thought I would post here and see if any of you are interested. Check out my Fiverr gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/michellerexurb?up_rollout=true 

holy crap what a coincidence...

just wanted to say that i had my CSULB MSW personal statement reviewed by her and I got accepted into that school. definitely helped  me to polish it up.

16 minutes ago, Polcc said:

Oooh okay! I got 15,000 over all 3 semesters. Yes for sure, I've seen someone do the same thing and say I got a higher amount elsewhere but this is my top choice and I cant afford to attend, I think they emailed the dean of admissions? It won't hurt your chances since you've already been accepted but I feel u!

I think that's a good place to start!  BC is my 3rd choice with BU and Pitt tied for 1st right now.  Hopefully you can get more!  Plus it looks like they might have other aid opportunities since the letter also mentioned filling out the Graduate School supplemental form.

1 hour ago, Css1087 said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! I just got into BC too! But I'm also waiting to hear back from BU !

Guys I am so sorry about the glitches- that is so BRUTAL. :( 

I am rooting for y'all and cant wait to see some of you this fall! 

And just an FYI - I found out that if you have a higher competing scholarship offer from another school, Columbia will reconsider your award package to try and match it! 

17 hours ago, cmongradschool said:

Those who have been accepted to CU, have you been requested to join the Facebook page? I haven't seen anything  yet

Yes - I got the email the next day after being accepted - before I submitted my depoist.

15 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Congratulations!!! I got accepted too !!! I have never been so nervous in my life !!

me tooooo! congrats!! I contemplated not even opening it at work because I was nervous lmao 

8 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! I just got into BC too! But I'm also waiting to hear back from BU !

Congrats to you too!  I feel like the wait for BU has been brutal!  At least they said they may be sending out decisions earlier than the end of the month.