MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

9 minutes ago, Polcc said:

don't worry! I got rejected from BC my first time applying in 2018, it was a total downer but there was nothing I could do about it. BU also is more understanding of lower end gpa, my friend had under a 3.0 and was accepted her 2nd time applying. I feel u tho it's hard not to feel discouraged but it doesn't mean you didn't get in to the others!!

Thanks Pal! I applied to the college I am at 3 times before being accepted so I'm used to it but I want to be in a MSW program with everyone else and not take a year off AHH

5 minutes ago, Kofowle10 said:

Thanks Pal! I applied to the college I am at 3 times before being accepted so I'm used to it but I want to be in a MSW program with everyone else and not take a year off AHH

Can relate to that, did you apply for 2 year or advanced?/are you applying right out of undergrad?

29 minutes ago, Polcc said:

nope, no idea. I'm planning on giving them a call today and asking so I'll update when I do. From what others posted it seems like schools send them out about a week later?? Also the same dilemma about BU & BC! I'm trying to figure out how to like work.... my work will give me ~some~ tuition reimbursement as long as I stay part time for 24 hr/wkly  but looking at BC's schedule I have no idea how that's gonna 

Maybe you can talk with BC and see if they will let your current job be your field placement! If your current job is related to what you would want to do as field placement, maybe they will allow it. And I am going to email them as well about the financial aid package so I'll do the same and keep you updated. Because I need to know how much more jobs I need to get to pay that tuition lol

20 minutes ago, Kofowle10 said:

Thanks Pal! I applied to the college I am at 3 times before being accepted so I'm used to it but I want to be in a MSW program with everyone else and not take a year 

I'm sure you will get into your other schools ! But if it turns out that you take a year off, I personally think that's the best thing to do for anyone! I took a year off between undergrad and applying for my master's and I loved it, it gave me time to work in the field and make sure this is what I really wanted to do, I was able to save up to afford school lol and it gave me a break that I desperately needed. So if you take a year off , enjoy it but again I'm sure you will get into one of your 3 other schools,  you got this !

1 minute ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Maybe you can talk with BC and see if they will let your current job be your field placement! If your current job is related to what you would want to do as field placement, maybe they will allow it. And I am going to email them as well about the financial aid package so I'll do the same and keep you updated. Because I need to know how much more jobs I need to get to pay that tuition lol

My job won't work ? our internship program ended last year plus I really want to do something different than what I am now! I live near a hospital too so I might apply their for per-diem or something 

11 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

I'm sure you will get into your other schools ! But if it turns out that you take a year off, I personally think that's the best thing to do for anyone! I took a year off between undergrad and applying for my master's and I loved it, it gave me time to work in the field and make sure this is what I really wanted to do, I was able to save up to afford school lol and it gave me a break that I desperately needed. So if you take a year off , enjoy it but again I'm sure you will get into one of your 3 other schools,  you got this !

Thank you! I really appreciate it! I know if I had to take the year off I could work and save up some money which would definitely be nice for graduate school just feels weird to put my future in someone else hands with applications hahaha

7 minutes ago, Polcc said:

My job won't work ? our internship program ended last year plus I really want to do something different than what I am now! I live near a hospital too so I might apply their for per-diem or something 

Oh dang, well I hope the hospital job works out for you ! I know hospital field placements are like always top choice so if you can work that out from now, that would be great for you! 

Hi there everyone! Jumping in to see if anyone who has been accepted to UChicago has received a financial aid package yet? The scholarships I know are in the acceptance letter but I am still waiting on the package with grants, work-study, etc. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Kofowle10 said:

Thank you! I really appreciate it! I know if I had to take the year off I could work and save up some money which would definitely be nice for graduate school just feels weird to put my future in someone else hands with applications hahaha

Lol I hear you, but you still have 3 more schools to hear back from ! Don't give up hope ! I hope BU sends out decisions this week, I'm waiting to hear back too lol 

2 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

That’s amazing! Are you considering?

Absolutely, unless Columbia offers me significantly more money than Penn, I want to move to Philadelphia. Their program allows me to do direct work in prisons from the get go, and I like that they have you do your field placement 3 days a week, most programs only require 2. 

I think Penn will allow me to graduate with more confidence in my professional skill than the other programs I applied to. 

2 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Hey everyone!

First, congratulations to everyone who has heard back good news from their applications, you are all going to make amazing social workers!  I need some advice to thosewho have been accepted into multiple schools so far. I was recently accepted into BC (which is my top choice) and I am still waiting to hear back from BU,( I only applied to those 2 schools lol) but I should hear back from BU  any minute now but I am very impatient and want to commit to BC already lol my question is should I pay my deposit for my top choice or wait and see if I get accepted to BU, because I would hate to pay my deposit and then BU offers me a full ride scholarship or something (extremely unlikely but a girl could dream?) what do you guys think ? Thanks !

P.S. BC needs a response by February 27. 

According to an email, BU admissions told me that they are planning on sending out decisions this Friday, and if we do not receive one by then, then definitely by Tuesday the 18th. So, I would say if you don't hear a decision soon then make a decision that you feel is best!!

Is anyone else considering Smith College? I was accepted Early Decision last week, and commitments are due next week (though I just received an extension to 2/26). I was disappointed to not receive any scholarship/merit aid since I've received it other places; I had expected applying early to maximize the potential of receiving those awards. Most likely, I will choose to defer decision to the regular applicant pool (which means my application gets thrown back into the mix), but I don't have much to lose since I am not abdicating any grant/scholarship aid.

6 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

According to an email, BU admissions told me that they are planning on sending out decisions this Friday, and if we do not receive one by then, then definitely by Tuesday the 18th. So, I would say if you don't hear a decision soon then make a decision that you feel is best!!

thank you for this info!!

Ayyyyyy Columbia offered $36,500 in scholarships! 

Also check your spam folder!! Mine came a week ago and I just saw it. 

What much in scholarships is everyone being offered? 

Edited by JuliaFrances

19 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

Thank you! I didn't get an email from them even in the beginning when I submitted my application when decisions would be made,  I only got an email that it was submitted. But if it is this Friday or next Tuesday,  I can wait a little bit longer then, I thought it was going to be closer to the end of the month when BC wanted to know. Thanks again !!

14 minutes ago, JuliaFrances said:

Ayyyyyy Columbia offered $36,500 in scholarships! 

Also check your spam folder!! Mine came a week ago and I just saw it. 

How much in aid have you all been offered? Trying to get some frame of reference. 

Nice! Did they offer $36K total or annually? That's a big difference. Seems like a lot of schools are generally trying to shave overall tuition costs down to $50-70K total with scholarship aid taken off. Is that what others are seeing?

1 minute ago, SMLDC said:

Nice! Did they offer $36K total or annually? That's a big difference. Seems like a lot of schools are generally trying to shave overall tuition costs down to $50-70K total with scholarship aid taken off. Is that what others are seeing?

36K total, so 18k a year. If it was per year I would absolutely lose it. 

Just now, JuliaFrances said:

36K total, so 18k a year. If it was per year I would absolutely lose it. 

Got it. That's still a great award, though not as likely to tip the scales in terms of cost vs. other schools. If you do choose Philly, you will love it there. It's a wonderful, vibrant, oft-underappreciated city. I live in DC but visit Philly often.

2 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

This is the part of the email I got from them: 

"the scholarships we offer to our students are separate from the financial aid packages that Student Services offer. To find out more information about the rest of your financial aid package, you should speak with Student Services. They have information on their website and you are welcome to call them as well. Their phone number is: 617-552-3300.

Let us know if you have additional questions. I hope this email was helpful!"

??? so they don't send out info I guess

Just now, Polcc said:

"the scholarships we offer to our students are separate from the financial aid packages that Student Services offer. To find out more information about the rest of your financial aid package, you should speak with Student Services. They have information on their website and you are welcome to call them as well. Their phone number is: 617-552-3300.

I literally just got off the phone with Student Services like 2 seconds ago lol they said to fill out the supplemental information form on the website and to also send over a hard copy of the tax return transcript, I'm going on the website right now. I don't know if they were going to send over this information after paying the deposit because the letter said nothing about this

5 minutes ago, Polcc said:

Here is the link with all the info on it for graduate students: https://www.bc.edu/content/bc-web/offices/student-services/financial-aid/graduate/applying-for-aid.html the representative said to start with the "Getting Started" Tab and follow those instructions,  according to the website financial aid packages will be available in April

Edited by MSWSTRESS

3 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

I literally just got off the phone with Student Services like 2 seconds ago lol they said to fill out the supplemental information form on the website and to also send over a hard copy of the tax return transcript, I'm going on the website right now. I don't know if they were going to send over this information after paying the deposit because the letter said nothing about this

oooh okay, yeah I saw that in the admitted students info BUT it said after deposit which is confusing. I just sent over my form to them actually. Thank you for that info, I'm looking at it now and see the tax stuff.  I asked for a time frame so I will let you know when I hear back! April seems rlly late