MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Just now, CluMSW said:

Thank you for this!! ?I realize this is not the worst thing in the world and grateful that at least I have one offer right now. It's just NYU was one of my top choices and was really excited to hear back! I'll be okay and try to stay hopeful!!

YES!! This is a stressful process and I love this forum because many of us may be on different sides of the globe but knowing I'm not the only one going crazy makes me feel better!! You got this

7 minutes ago, Mswstudent101 said:

We are here for you!! I think you posted recently that you got into Fordham which is GREAT university (and top 25 for MSW programs).  Honestly, every university maybe looking for something different so you might get into Columbia! YOU GOT THIS!

And Im on the same CU boat as you! All we can do is just wait and hope for the best. 

AWW thank you so much for your kind words!! And yes I did get into Fordham last week and would be happy to go there if that's what it comes to.

You got this too! Wishing you the best!!

I wanted to tell everyone on this forum that we got this! Everyone has a story to tell and struggles to overcome and that makes us better equipped to enter the field of Social Work, it takes a special spirit to want to help others!! Good Luck 

58 minutes ago, CluMSW said:

got rejected by NYU :( feel stupid for thinking i had a shot...

losing my hope on CU...

Definitely does NOT mean you're stupid or unworthy or anything! My stepdad was the dean of a grad school for a while and said sometimes people have great apps but they just don't have the right staff for them. My professor said the same thing earlier this year. She told me that if I'd applied at KU that they would've rejected me purely because they felt like they didn't have adequate advisors or anything for what I wanted to do. This whole process is really not indicative of you as a student, as much as it is the school's reading and analysis ability on students. 

7 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Definitely does NOT mean you're stupid or unworthy or anything! My stepdad was the dean of a grad school for a while and said sometimes people have great apps but they just don't have the right staff for them. My professor said the same thing earlier this year. She told me that if I'd applied at KU that they would've rejected me purely because they felt like they didn't have adequate advisors or anything for what I wanted to do. This whole process is really not indicative of you as a student, as much as it is the school's reading and analysis ability on students. 

That actually makes sense since I wrote in my statement that I'm hoping to do work around policy practice and advocacy (NGOs, corporate social responsibility..), and the NYU program is very specialized in clinical social work I think. Anyway thank you for this and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Question also for those who applied to BU- if you applied priority, did you application status ever change from "Complete" to "Complete 'Date'"? Mine never did, and apparently it was supposed to, but I never had time to call and ask. 

Just now, ZoeD said:

Question also for those who applied to BU- if you applied priority, did you application status ever change from "Complete" to "Complete 'Date'"? Mine never did, and apparently it was supposed to, but I never had time to call and ask. 

no mine never changed. I emailed them about it and they didn’t seem to have an answer so i’m not sure that it mattered? they only answered my question about when I would hear back by

25 minutes ago, Polcc said:

no mine never changed. I emailed them about it and they didn’t seem to have an answer so i’m not sure that it mattered? they only answered my question about when I would hear back by

When did they tell you you’d hear back by? 

4 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

When did they tell you you’d hear back by? 

they said end of february but probably closer to the middle...which is like this week so maybe we will hear by friday?

4 minutes ago, Mswstudent101 said:

Yay congrats!!!! Is CU your first choice?

It's not, mainly because of cost (tuition + cost of living). I have always been drawn to the program itself though. If I miraculously get a generous scholarship package, maybe I'd reconsider it. If I were to end up at Columbia, there are some disciplines I'd like to explore like DBT and complicated grief. Also very interested in the Narrative Medicine program at Columbia, which I'd try to connect to if I were there.

4 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

It's not, mainly because of cost (tuition + cost of living). I have always been drawn to the program itself though. If I miraculously get a generous scholarship package, maybe I'd reconsider it. If I were to end up at Columbia, there are some disciplines I'd like to explore like DBT and complicated grief. Also very interested in the Narrative Medicine program at Columbia, which I'd try to connect to if I were there.

Ah that’s awesome! Yeah COA is really crucial... but congrats again!! This is huge :)

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

they said end of february but probably closer to the middle...which is like this week so maybe we will hear by friday?

That's odd. They told me exact dates. I wonder if they're giving people specific answers

For those who applied to University of Washington -

So another email was sent out with the competitive placements for the CCIP and AAP concentrations. But I'm kind of confused about this whole process - one email said that all accepted students would be contacted by a field faculty member in late Feb/early March. And this email is saying only students who don't apply to a competitive placement will be contacted, correct? But also, we aren't supposed to apply until we hear back, and applications are due on 3/2? So when are we going to get our acceptance/can we actually apply - in late March, or when a field faculty member contacts us?  Also, they said the applications are due a week after we receive a decision...in which case...we should be hearing back super soon??

Essentially, it doesn't seem like the case at all that we won't have a decision until late March - seems much, much sooner.  I guess I shouldn't be complaining because I will be hearing back earlier than planned, but the whole process seems a bit unclear to me. Anyone else? Or am I overthinking...

I don't even know if my ramble made sense. But I sent an email asking for some clarification about my questions above so hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.

49 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

That's odd. They told me exact dates. I wonder if they're giving people specific answers

right?? I emailed them I think like 2 weeks ago and that was the response I got. i’m not gonna worry about it it’ll prob be within the next few days ?‍♀️

I got into Columbia today and NYU (with $12k) last week :) It has been an exciting few days. I am still trying to really figure out how everything will work out - financially (and otherwise) if I end up going to a high cost school in a high cost city. 

P.S. : To folks waiting to hear from Columbia and feel like they are losing hope, try your best not to. I actually emailed them on Monday and was like "hey, I am really anxious, I know people have been hearing back and I still haven't." and their response was essentially that there isn't a deeper meaning behind why someone hasn't heard back yet but rather that they just haven't gotten to the application yet. Your anxiety and feelings are completely valid, but I just wanted to say, if you feel like your hope is thinning away try to hold on to it!  

P.P.S: I just read somewhere on the thread, probably multiple times now, that people are feeling pretty meh about the whole process and also about getting rejections. 

I just want to remind you that graduate school and the education system overall is quite elitist & somewhat rooted in privilege & ableism -- accomplishments listed on your resume like unpaid internships or study abroad or other achievements are also given weight and not everyone can afford to do it. I know we are applying for a degree in Social Work and I genuinely hope that all  in the admissions committee of various schools understand that there is underlying privilege in many requirements that they might give weight to. Just a reminder, it is not YOU, it is the system & you deserve better ❤️ 

Edited by avizenoi96