MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

2 minutes ago, Css1087 said:

It might be because I requested information before I started an application. I got an email inviting me to my personal page. My application portal doesn't have any new information. And I still haven't received an email or anything. I will try to take a screenshot when I get home. 

Hi there! Long-time lurker of this forum & first-time poster here. Upon seeing @Css1087's post (thank you!!) I searched my email to find that link, vaguely remembering that BU was the only school with a personalized lil' webpage. Search for an email from busswad@bu.edu/"BU School of Social Work Admissions" with the subject "Thanks for your interest, [your name here]!" 

You should have a page linked under "Your Journey Starts Here." I clicked on it and apparently I was accepted! Fingers crossed this wasn't a huge technical error. Best of luck to everyone!! ❤️

33 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

I'd welcome any takes on the below scholarship awards and whether it's worth contacting the schools to get an increased award. The below amounts are assuming the same amount of scholarship funding for the entirety of the program, not just annually.

• UChicago: $50,000 (50% of $100K tuition, $50K leftover)
  • Pitt: $16,000 (24% of $66K tuition, $50K leftover)
  • UMich: $9,000 (9% of $74K tuition, $65K leftover)
  • Smith: $0 (0% of $71K tuition, $71K leftover)
  • Columbia: $24,000 (21% of $116K tuition, $92K leftover)

I was planning to appeal UMich and Columbia since UChicago is a much more competitive offer than the other two. I'd initially been interested in Smith and still might appeal their scholarship decision, but the initial lack of financial support has left a bad taste in my mouth especially since I applied early decision. I reached out to Pitt, and they said scholarships were non-negotiable and referred me to fellowships (that are really only available to advanced-standing and second-year students).

My thought -- see if UMich will at least match UChicago, then choose between the two (personally, I'd lean towards UMich). When did you hear from UChicago? 

Just now, AlabasterSeas said:

My thought -- see if UMich will at least match UChicago, then choose between the two (personally, I'd lean towards UMich). When did you hear from UChicago? 

If UMich would match UChicago, that would be incredible. Have you heard of others getting it matched like that? Those are my top two choices. Columbia just seems like such an uphill battle + NYC living expenses... 

Just now, SMLDC said:

If UMich would match UChicago, that would be incredible. Have you heard of others getting it matched like that? Those are my top two choices. Columbia just seems like such an uphill battle + NYC living expenses... 

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. I meant, see if UMich will increase their award for you enough, so that the leftover cost is at least the same as UChicago (you'd want UMich to give you an extra $15k then, which seems high but still possible). 

49 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

I'd welcome any takes on the below scholarship awards and whether it's worth contacting the schools to get an increased award. The below amounts are assuming the same amount of scholarship funding for the entirety of the program, not just annually.

• UChicago: $50,000 (50% of $100K tuition, $50K leftover)
  • Pitt: $16,000 (24% of $66K tuition, $50K leftover)
  • UMich: $9,000 (9% of $74K tuition, $65K leftover)
  • Smith: $0 (0% of $71K tuition, $71K leftover)
  • Columbia: $24,000 (21% of $116K tuition, $92K leftover)

I was planning to appeal UMich and Columbia since UChicago is a much more competitive offer than the other two. I'd initially been interested in Smith and still might appeal their scholarship decision, but the initial lack of financial support has left a bad taste in my mouth especially since I applied early decision. I reached out to Pitt, and they said scholarships were non-negotiable and referred me to fellowships (that are really only available to advanced-standing and second-year students).

what's your top choice? I agree with the other poster if you can get Umich to match or come close to the amount left over for UChicago then it would be worth it. If Smith gave you 0 I can't imagine it would increase to be close to the others but who knows! 

2 minutes ago, Polcc said:

what's your top choice? I agree with the other poster if you can get Umich to match or come close to the amount left over for UChicago then it would be worth it. If Smith gave you 0 I can't imagine it would increase to be close to the others but who knows! 

16 minutes ago, AlabasterSeas said:

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. I meant, see if UMich will increase their award for you enough, so that the leftover cost is at least the same as UChicago (you'd want UMich to give you an extra $15k then, which seems high but still possible). 

What makes you both recommend UMich over UChicago if tuition is the same? (If it helps at all, I'm focusing on clinical work and some research.)

12 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

What makes you both recommend UMich over UChicago if tuition is the same? (If it helps at all, I'm focusing on clinical work and some research.)

Cost-of-living will likely be lower in Ann Arbor than Chicago. Money is a huge factor for me, unfortunately. I've gotten okay offers from UMich and Columbia (less so from NYU), but unless I can get at least one of them to go up even more, there's a good chance I might just pursue a different path. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Hunter which might be the most practical option for me if I am admitted.

33 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

no particular reason I was just looking at cost regarding you weighing your options, and COL will be a lot higher in Chicago as the the other poster mentioned. I have heard people be very interested in UMish but I don't know much about UChicago! Also depending on if you have a specific clinical focus (mine is healthcare for example, so I would want to pick somewhere where there is a lot of medical field work options)/what you're interested in regarding research etc could matter too. When's the soonest deadline?

10 minutes ago, cmongradschool said:

I just got an email with my acceptance to UW! Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the financial aid package?

In the UW forum people are saying a few days potentially? I still haven't gotten an email! I'm hype!!! I hope they're sending all now!

Edited by madisonc7

Hi Friends,

I have just been lurking the past few weeks as I work on my applications but I’m submitting everything today and tomorrow and so nervous! I feel like I might have a disadvantage applying right before deadlines but honestly I didn’t even think I was gonna pursue an MSW until January 10th! So I’ve had to have a quick turnaround and I feel like my life is turning upside down. In the best possible way. Does anyone have advice? 
my top choice is Columbia. My best friend lives in NYC on the outskirts so I don’t have to worry about COL but just tuition & getting in. My second Choice is NYU but (eh). I also am applying to Fordham (but might not get financial aid because it’s after the suggested deadline) and UGA (which is in-state for me). 
UChicago is also an option. I have an appointment to talk with dean of admissions coming up! 

I have a lot of work experience in the field as I worked all throughout undergrad in the field of social work and I want to go into clinical work. With a specialization in immigration & refugee studies. I graduate undergrad in May & my GPA is a 3.5 cumulative. This whole thing is so nerve wracking but congratulations to those who have already gotten in & applied early ?

Edited by Allanaj

1 hour ago, Allanaj said:

Hi Friends,

I have just been lurking the past few weeks as I work on my applications but I’m submitting everything today and tomorrow and so nervous! I feel like I might have a disadvantage applying right before deadlines but honestly I didn’t even think I was gonna pursue an MSW until January 10th! So I’ve had to have a quick turnaround and I feel like my life is turning upside down. In the best possible way. Does anyone have advice? 
my top choice is Columbia. My best friend lives in NYC on the outskirts so I don’t have to worry about COL but just tuition & getting in. My second Choice is NYU but (eh). I also am applying to Fordham (but might not get financial aid because it’s after the suggested deadline) and UGA (which is in-state for me). 
UChicago is also an option. I have an appointment to talk with dean of admissions coming up! 

I have a lot of work experience in the field as I worked all throughout undergrad in the field of social work and I want to go into clinical work. With a specialization in immigration & refugee studies. I graduate undergrad in May & my GPA is a 3.5 cumulative. This whole thing is so nerve wracking but congratulations to those who have already gotten in & applied early ?

we are in the same boat. i also just started my application last month. Good luck to you!

11 hours ago, 2020MSW said:

Wow! Do you mind if I ask when you were notified of your acceptance to Michigan? I just finished my app earlier this week. I know it’s really late compared to most, but I was planning to wait until next cycle. Since I applied so late,  I assumed I wouldn’t hear anything for a really long time. I’m also in-state. I live super close and this is the only school I’m applying to. Care to share your stats? 

Of course!! I submitted my app on the 31st and it was 'received' on 2/4 and I was notified by a phone call & email on 2/12. I graduated from MSU with a BS in psych last year with a 3.8 GPA. Worked in 3 research labs and managed one of them. One internship years ago and currently work as an ABA tech for the last year. 

I was very worried about applying so late too and honestly only spent a couple of hours, so don't worry! I know umich apparently makes applicants wait a long time for a decision but I think being in state helps. Good luck!! and keep me updated! 

14 hours ago, asap_julez said:

Hi there! Long-time lurker of this forum & first-time poster here. Upon seeing @Css1087's post (thank you!!) I searched my email to find that link, vaguely remembering that BU was the only school with a personalized lil' webpage. Search for an email from busswad@bu.edu/"BU School of Social Work Admissions" with the subject "Thanks for your interest, [your name here]!" 

You should have a page linked under "Your Journey Starts Here." I clicked on it and apparently I was accepted! Fingers crossed this wasn't a huge technical error. Best of luck to everyone!! ❤️

Thank you so much for this, I didn't even think to check there, but I looked and I got accepted too ! Congratulations to you !

14 hours ago, Polcc said:

huh interesting about the BU link, when I click on the page it just brings me to the page like I've never applied. I guess I'll find out soon lol! ?

Did you check again ? I just checked the page and I got accepted , but it doesn't really tell much information other than I was accepted , nothing about financial aid from what I can see lol

7 hours ago, socwork2020 said:

Of course!! I submitted my app on the 31st and it was 'received' on 2/4 and I was notified by a phone call & email on 2/12. I graduated from MSU with a BS in psych last year with a 3.8 GPA. Worked in 3 research labs and managed one of them. One internship years ago and currently work as an ABA tech for the last year. 

I was very worried about applying so late too and honestly only spent a couple of hours, so don't worry! I know umich apparently makes applicants wait a long time for a decision but I think being in state helps. Good luck!! and keep me updated! 

Thank you for that info and reassurance! Your stats are great so I'm not surprised you were admitted. I'll let you know when I hear back.

14 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

I found it! I went to “request info” and when I put in my email they brought me to my page which also says congratulations

Congratulations! I just saw that I was accepted too! Is there a certain page where it mentions financial aid because I see a 'deposit checklist' and I don't even know how much the deposit is lol

21 hours ago, AlabasterSeas said:

Hi Everyone!

I applied for U of Chicago back in November, and am also still waiting to hear back.

I've already been admitted to and received initial financial aid info from U of M, Columbia, and NYU. Still waiting to hear from Hunter too.

Nice to find a community to wait with!

Hello! Anything from U of C? I still haven’t heard. I wonder if we won’t actually hear today ? 

15 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Did you check again ? I just checked the page and I got accepted , but it doesn't really tell much information other than I was accepted , nothing about financial aid from what I can see lol

no nothing yet! hmm weird but that’s okay I’ll find out soon if I got in or not

34 minutes ago, AlabasterSeas said:

Not yet. And, at this point, I'm sort of doubting an admission. I hadn't realized that some folks who also applied early were admitted in January.

I imagine they sent out a round of rejections then too. I wouldn’t give up hope!

Hey there, does anyone know if University of Denver is willing to give out more financial aid and how to go about asking for more? I received an 11k scholarship, as well as federal loan and work-study aid, so I'm not sure if I would be able to ask for anything more? I saw up there that Michigan does  a re-review, but I'm not sure how to go about talking to Denver. 

1 hour ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Congratulations! I just saw that I was accepted too! Is there a certain page where it mentions financial aid because I see a 'deposit checklist' and I don't even know how much the deposit is lol

No I believe this is kind of a technical error, I’m sure we aren’t supposed to see this until they actually send out acceptances. Assuming it’ll be Monday/early next week and all that info will be on our actual portals/in the offer letter. 

15 hours ago, AlabasterSeas said:

Cost-of-living will likely be lower in Ann Arbor than Chicago. Money is a huge factor for me, unfortunately. I've gotten okay offers from UMich and Columbia (less so from NYU), but unless I can get at least one of them to go up even more, there's a good chance I might just pursue a different path. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Hunter which might be the most practical option for me if I am admitted.

Weighing in here as a long-time Chicago resident formerly from the Ann Arbor area--cost-of-living is not lower in Ann Arbor. I've been in Chicago for 12 years and to this day, the most expensive apartment I've ever lived in (price per square foot) was on the University of Michigan campus. And that was in 2003-2005. I still have lots of friends in Ann Arbor and the cost of living is comparable to Chicago. Cost of living next door to Ann Arbor in Ypsilanti, however, is far lower. Something to consider. ?