MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

8 hours ago, iloveanthonyrizzo said:

Ugh dying on the wait for University of Chicago, UC Berkeley and UW Madison. Has anyone heard back from those schools that applied mid Jan (and end of Nov for Berkeley)? I know the results will be out theoretically for Berkeley next week... maybe........AHHHHh

Im still waiting on Uchicago and applied Jan. 13

On 2/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, avizenoi96 said:

^^ not sure what happened there. 

To folx who are appealing financial aid from Columbia, how did you do it? What does it look like? 

I second this question! Please help! 

I have only been admitted to one other school (RU). It's significantly less so I am hoping I can use this as a bargaining chip, but I did not receive any scholarships and it looks like the traditional way to appeal is to write an email to the Dean of Admissions and include your competing scholarship info to see if they can match that. I'm still waiting on Hunter but most likely won't hear back from them until April, and need to submit my deposit by March 3rd (could extend but I'm guessing not that long, and honestly I would like to submit my deposit by early March). Also still waiting on BU but not expecting a lot from them. 

Tagging @SWColumbia because I remember seeing in a post from yonder back that you appealed? 

On 2/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, SWColumbia said:

So there is a link that the FASFA team provided me, it is connected to your application.

Step 1:

Email : cssw-admit@columbia.edu  asking how you can submit a scholarship reconsideration form. I believe this is only likely to work if you have competing offers from other schools. 

Step 2:

They provide you with a link to submit your appeal.

Step 3:

Answer this question: "Please provide a detailed explanation for requesting increased financial assistance"

Break down the amount you were offered from CU, how much excess you will need to take out in loans for tuition, books, cost of living, and any other related expense you have to cover while in grad school. If you are quitting a full time job, explain how you will lose your income and how you are planning to pay for the program and what you need help with. Explain any competing offers, and how you want to attend this program but would need "xxx" amount to finalize your decision. Be specific and honest on how much you are looking for if you know the amount it will take for you to commit to the program.

***Lastly I do not encourage submitting an appeal unless you are seriously considering attending the program, as this could effect other serious candidates from losing out on scholarship aid, there are others still waiting to hear back on their admissions decision.****

The process does take 1-2 weeks.

Step 4:

Attach your competing scholarship offer.

@basw

@simonsays

@amb22

@ZoeD

So I'll be visiting both UMich and UDenver in just a couple of weeks! For folx who live in either of those areas, suggestions for restaurants, must-see places, etc.?

Edited by Liza123

I just had the weirdest interaction with BU... so I called for an update and they told me I should have gotten a status update (which I didn't) and she asked for my info and checked and said there was a mistake whoever reviewed my application didn't send it? and that is how I would also get my decision so I was like okay...and she sent it so I now get the emails. THEN she said they wanted to send all acceptances on V-day but didn't so it should be by this Friday/Monday latest. I was like alright is a decision made tho and she was like okay yeah this isn't how we do it but you were accepted and should be getting aid with your package next week! Like bless she said I had a great package and should be getting a good aid one?? whatever that means??ANYWay so all BU ppl waiting I would expect this Friday INCLUDING aid package.

*so I'm not sure about that BU portal because my portal doesn't say I was accepted, only that i can apply but I was*

Edited by Polcc

Just now, AlabasterSeas said:

Back in November. It sounds like others who applied early heard back in January, but got larger scholarships.

Oh ok I applied in January, sorry to hear they didn't give you a lot of money ugh they are the worst right now...pulling my hair out but still congrats on getting in.

1 hour ago, Liza123 said:

So I'll be visiting both UMich and UDenver in just a couple of weeks! For folx who live in either of those areas, suggestions for restaurants, must-see places, etc.?

I can only speak for Denver, the botanical garden is wonderful! (Though I just remembered it is winter! I don't know how wonderful it will be, or if you'll want to be outside for that long!)

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

I just had the weirdest interaction with BU... so I called for an update and they told me I should have gotten a status update (which I didn't) and she asked for my info and checked and said there was a mistake whoever reviewed my application didn't send it? and that is how I would also get my decision so I was like okay...and she sent it so I now get the emails. THEN she said they wanted to send all acceptances on V-day but didn't so it should be by this Friday/Monday latest. I was like alright is a decision made tho and she was like okay yeah this isn't how we do it but you were accepted and should be getting aid with your package next week! Like bless she said I had a great package and should be getting a good aid one?? whatever that means??ANYWay so all BU ppl waiting I would expect this Friday INCLUDING aid package.

*so I'm not sure about that BU portal because my portal doesn't say I was accepted, only that i can apply but I was*

Thank you for this ! And congratulations! I have been refreshing my email and checking my spam folder to see if anything about financial aid came through,  but by the time they send it out,  its going to be time to make a decision about BC !?‍♀️ I already know I'm leaning more towards BC but I want to know what the financial aid package is looking like before I do anything,  I didn't think they were going to take this long, I already have my deposit for BC and everything lol

6 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Thank you for this ! And congratulations! I have been refreshing my email and checking my spam folder to see if anything about financial aid came through,  but by the time they send it out,  its going to be time to make a decision about BC !?‍♀️ I already know I'm leaning more towards BC but I want to know what the financial aid package is looking like before I do anything,  I didn't think they were going to take this long, I already have my deposit for BC and everything lol

Thank you!! I'm sure by Friday we will have the acceptance and aid letter and can make a decision from there. I'm with you though I'm 95% going to put my deposit at BC mid next week but still want to compare since BU's tuition is like 10k less than BC

1 hour ago, AlabasterSeas said:

I was admitted to U of Chicago today, but with the lowest scholarship of the ones I have received. So, bittersweet.

Hi there, 

I'm still waiting to hear back from the 12/1 deadline. Would you mind sharing what your scholarship looked like? Totally fine if not!! Were you notified via email this morning?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Polcc said:

Thank you!! I'm sure by Friday we will have the acceptance and aid letter and can make a decision from there. I'm with you though I'm 95% going to put my deposit at BC mid next week but still want to compare since BU's tuition is like 10k less than BC

18 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Just wondering—what made you decide on BC over BU? I went through the same process when deciding which of the two to apply to and ended up choosing BU, so I’m curious to hear the other side. 

2 hours ago, Liza123 said:

The Denver Modern Art museum is for real so cool. Also, if you're a sushi person, I recommend Hapa. They have 3 locations and all are so fabulous. 

26 minutes ago, Mmgaf said:

Just wondering—what made you decide on BC over BU? I went through the same process when deciding which of the two to apply to and ended up choosing BU, so I’m curious to hear the other side. 

BC's specialization in Health and certificate in Neuroscience with the internship opportunities that I've seen ppl have had were some of the reasons. BC's courses vs BU's courses were also more appealing to me && I don't have to take a few classes that I already took in my undergrad (research 1&2, ethics, racial justice). BU vs BC's advanced standing program plan seems to differ a lot and BC focuses more on the specialization from what I see. I'm not sure about 2 year tho! Either way both look great I'd be happy at either. I know a few professors at BU SSW which does make it a harder decision.

Then also logistics, I live 10 min drive away and the program starts June-May rather than Sept-August and I am VERY over my job and need a break lol.

Edited by Polcc

2 hours ago, Polcc said:

That’s so weird! What number did you call? I want to try to call them as well. They told me that I would know by today but being that BC’s deposit is due so soon (and that’s where I’m leaning towards), I think I should call to be safe. Especially incase I got more money to BU that would potentially influence my decision. 

Edited by NicoleDes

23 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

That’s so weird! What number did you call? I want to try to call them as well. They told me that I would know by today but being that BC’s deposit is due so soon (and that’s where I’m leaning towards), I think I should call to be safe. Especially incase I got more money to BU that would potentially influence my decision. 

right!? I just called the main school of social work # and I think hit 1 for applications for CRC program. I've been calling daily and only getting VM so I was surprised. She said that because of the holiday and I think some other issue that's why there is a delay. I don't really get it because if the the decisions are made why wouldn't they release them? The email will be coming from "School of Social Work" webadmit.org. Also same about the cost, waiting for aid so I can ask BC about reconsidering my scholarship amount ?‍♀️ 

Edited by Polcc

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

Yeah the financial aid from BU would have to be significant for me to decide the other way, I mean both are great schools, so its a good decision either way, there's just something about BC that I like so much lol

1 hour ago, Mmgaf said:

For me, I read the course descriptions for both schools and spoke with someone about field education placements from each school, and BC just seemed more structured for my taste and seem to have more options in terms of the electives and the certificates. Both are great schools and they are similar so I know I will be getting a great education regardless, I did like that BU was the dual degree in MSW/Education because I really want to work in the schools but I just see myself at BC more than I do at BU, if that makes sense lol What made you decide on BU ?

Hi guys,

Please, I have received an email/response to my inquiry from Columbia regarding how long I am to wait for, so I need help understanding when the "8 weeks" starts from? I have just received a second email from Heller (Brandeis University) trying to persuade me to take their offer (60% Scholarship for Master in Sustainable International Development).

.........Thank you for your email. Your application is complete and your materials have been received. If we require additional items from you, our office will be in touch.

If the Office of Admissions wishes to schedule an interview, you will receive an email inviting you to sign up for an interview time. You do not need to take any action at this time. 

You can expect to receive your admissions notification within approximately 8 weeks........

Anyone with experience relating to waiting for CU offer will be helpful and appreciated. 

Thanks